Thread: On SH23 this arvo...

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500

On SH23 this arvo...

Who was the guy on the HD wearing a pinky-red safety vest leading bunch of six or seven L plate riders out of Hamilton on SH23 this arvo?
    You went from Dinsdale down SH23 and turned right into SH39 at Whatawhata.

What were you thinking?
    The bikes were spread out line astern over a hundred yards and my following speed got down to 60km/h at one stage.
    The speed limit was mostly 100km/h and I had cars bunching up behind me (I was in a car) and looking very impatient.
    I wasn't in a hurry, which was lucky as a safe pass wasn't an option, but seriously Dude, you need to think about what you were doing.
    You dress for safety, but you don't ride for safety...

I have no doubt that this will attract all sorts of responses, but I'm posting on the off chance that this guy is here:think about it, man - you are putting those squids in danger and you were seriously pissing off the driving public.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    To be fair, at 60-70 he probably had that Harley pinned to the throttle stop

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Sounds like it would have been a riding school class of riders who had never been on the open road before and the instructor on the Harley did not want to freak them out by riding straight away at 100km/hr. Maybe his next lesson will be at the speed limit. He shoul have maybe just picked a section of road with a 70-80 km/hr limit or a 100km/hr one that was not so busy.
    Do you think that'll put pressure on the learner riders to keep up?

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Sounds like it would have been a riding school class of riders who had never been on the open road before and the instructor on the Harley did not want to freak them out by riding straight away at 100km/hr. Maybe his next lesson will be at the speed limit. He shoul have maybe just picked a section of road with a 70-80 km/hr limit or a 100km/hr one that was not so busy.
    Some on here say you are an annoying fuckwit.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    Some on here say you are an annoying fuckwit.
    Ahmen to that and IT knows nothing of group rides or riding en masse,???:
    Oh, nor about riding schools or safety minded individuals who may well be putting themselves out there to help others, F wit indeed.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    You're a fuckwit.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    I say: "Cassina for PM" - Seems to be popular enough (in a political sort of way)

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    3 more gone?

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    3 more gone?
    Wot shu talking bout Willis?????

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I've been in that position.

If you lead a group on the open road, you quickly find out that some lack the confidence and experience to maintain 100 kmh, even in a straight line.

It can also be the subject of a speedo error problem, when people think they are doing 100, when in fact they are doing 92.

There are locations where you have to travel on a 100 kmh road to get to an 80 kmh road. I don't know this particular area, but I've had that problem.

Let's not forget that we all had a first day on the bike, and that we weren't all awesomely amazing from the first minute.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I've been in that position.

If you lead a group on the open road, you quickly find out that some lack the confidence and experience to maintain 100 kmh, even in a straight line.

It can also be the subject of a speedo error problem, when people think they are doing 100, when in fact they are doing 92.

There are locations where you have to travel on a 100 kmh road to get to an 80 kmh road. I don't know this particular area, but I've had that problem.

Let's not forget that we all had a first day on the bike, and that we weren't all awesomely amazing from the first minute.
    They all had L plates on except for the guy in the lead (who appeared to be the only person on a non-LAMS bike).
    The leader was not riding anywhere near the speed limit and the other bikes were strung out with a gap between each which precluded safe passing by other road users.
    This meant that there was a 100 metre crocodile travelling at between 65 & 85 km/h on the Raglan highway on a Sunday afternoon (i.e. a very busy road).
    My post was in the hope that the leader would realise what he was doing and stop it, not to criticise the n00bs.
    If these ones aren't careful, they won't get their second day on the bike...

Bike
    SuperScooter 2010
    Dinsdale to Whatawhata is only 8km, on a Sunday afternoon, the speed limit on the long straight into Whatawhata is 80km/hr, before that the winding hill section with reasonably sharp corners. Is it really so unreasonable to give a group of obvious learner riders some latitude for that short distance? I get stuck behind tractors on SH1, these things happen, you're not always going to be able to drive at speed limit for a variety of reasons.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipper2T View Post
    Dinsdale to Whatawhata is only 8km, on a Sunday afternoon, the speed limit on the long straight into Whatawhata is 80km/hr, before that the winding hill section with reasonably sharp corners. Is it really so unreasonable to give a group of obvious learner riders some latitude for that short distance? I get stuck behind tractors on SH1, these things happen, you're not always going to be able to drive at speed limit for a variety of reasons.
    They didn't stop at Whatawhata and I doubt you ever followed eight tractors strung out over 100 metres.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    They didn't stop at Whatawhata and I doubt you ever followed eight tractors strung out over 100 metres.
    Does a Harley group ride count?

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    Does a Harley group ride count?
    Doubt you'd get 8 of them running at the same time...

Thread Information