Thread: Gs750

Bike
    husaberg
    Cooler gas also equals less velocity

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0646.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	275.0 KB 
ID:	337198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hart_415T_engine_in_Lola_THL1.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	337199
    Hart 415T most successful F1 engine/dollar
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Close-Look-at-the-1450HP-Formula-1-BMW-Turbo-1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	337200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hqdefault.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	337201
    BMW actually used, previously used road car engine blocks as they were stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    thanks, and i realize the turbo is far from the most efficient place and if i was to start the whole project from scratch i would build a small header straight to the turbo but i brought the headers long before i decided to turbo the bike they are rare as hens teeth i got them from the UK and i didnt want to butcher them too much.. and this is the first time i have ever tired to make an exhaust so i didnt think i was ready to try build a short turbo manifold but... turns out its not that difficult.. i already have a few $$ in these pipes so im just going to run with it. at the end of the day im not after maximum power its more of a... fun thing to do, to spark my interest in this whole bike but i do appreciate the information as it all helps. so far i have really enojyed this and i would definitely do it again but to a bigger motor and go for a more power orientated build.

anyhow this is where i got to tonight, the turbo ended up more forward then i had planed because i had to make a taperd pipe into the hot side of the turbo.. im going to make some sort of heat shield for my leg but ill deal with that later.. i had to remove some brackets and air box mounts so i may as well do the recommended frame mods to stiffen it up.

that turbo bike of guy martins is a total weapon.

20180607 212116
    20180607_212226
    20180607_212306

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Looking at that last picture (of the turbo exhaust side) - the round circle below the gas outlet looks like it would be where a wastegate valve would go. You mentioned the turbo came from a small diesel. In that application the wastegate might not be necessary as engine speed is determined by amount of fuel injected. However in your case, what provision have you made for controlling boost?
    Also, with regards to your expensive header pipes, they are not going to remain pretty for long. Might be preferable to save these headers and make up a short header with thick wall tube.

A re there any model or identification numbers on the compressor housing?

I'll get up in the attic in the weekend and see if I can find the MacInness book.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Looking at that last picture (of the turbo exhaust side) - the round circle below the gas outlet looks like it would be where a wastegate valve would go. You mentioned the turbo came from a small diesel. In that application the wastegate might not be necessary as engine speed is determined by amount of fuel injected. However in your case, what provision have you made for controlling boost?
    Also, with regards to your expensive header pipes, they are not going to remain pretty for long. Might be preferable to save these headers and make up a short header with thick wall tube.

A re there any model or identification numbers on the compressor housing?

I'll get up in the attic in the weekend and see if I can find the MacInness book.
    there is a internal wastegate i have just striped off all the parts that i didn't need so i could hold it and tack it in place, the headers are hardly expensive nor pretty they are just hard to come by.

35 - 13100 is all thats on the turbo and a few Mitsubishi symbols

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Welding the wastegate shut - I like it. Peter Hill's first turbo for Glen Williams had an external wastegate. He left the wastegate off the 2nd bike as they always ended up screwing the first one tight shut. I vaguely recall either Norris or Roger telling me they were flying down the main straight at Hawkesbury side by side and Glen pulled up between them, sitting up, then pulled away. Blew #2 piston a few laps later, again.

I also noted that you are talking about the next build being bigger and making more power.

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Yep, more powahhhhh! But not on this old oil boiler.

If any body has GS parts I would be interested to buy some engine cases and stuff like that.

I've done some research on rear mounted turbos and the general concensus is that there is bugger all difference exept less heat wich in my case is good it will help keep any detonation to a minimum. There is more lag but not alot from the dyno charts I've seen.

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Been chatting to the local certification guy Andy, seems like a top bloke, for this thing to ever be legal i need to document everything with pictures and keep him in the loop

if you need to get any bikes certified give him a call - Andy Urwin-Wells, 027 420 9900

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    exhaust welded adding frame bracing

20180609_214943

20180609_215017

Bike
    suzuki
    where's ya battery going?

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    where's ya battery going?
    Under the seat or rear hump.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Lithium? Nice and light and a real kick.

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    yep, lithium is the plan!

tacked a few gussets in place and a brace in the front, probably not necessary but im welding to the frame anyways so why not.

made part of the Plenum, need to cut the turbo and weld the outlet of a different angle. just waiting on goodies to arrive.

yeah i know the plenum isnt optimal but im sure it will work.

20180618_212047
    20180618_212138

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    been awhile, life got busy! done a few bits.. decided the first plenum was crap so i am making another one.

got a 1992 gsxr front end, it fitted up nicely and makes the bike look far more chunky.

WP_20180802_20_26_08_Pro

WP_20180802_20_25_11_Pro

also made a basic sheet metal folder to make various bits and pieces i will need like the under seat tray, works surprisingly well.
    WP_20180802_20_27_08_Pro

do you fellas want full size images or just medium like these?

Bike
    Ducati 748R

velocity stacks!

3 attempts so far and the 3rd is half decent!

first was heating the tube with a torch and trying to form the shape in a lathe but the tube just deformed the steel - fail

second was a die in a press, the die didnt flare the tube enough nor did it make a lip then i tried to hammer it into shape - fail

third turned out acceptable took 12 tons to form this shape, i think if i had a bigger press i could get it to roll over but what i have is going to work.

WP_20180805_18_03_34_Pro

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by layton View Post
    3 attempts so far and the 3rd is half decent!

first was heating the tube with a torch and trying to form the shape in a lathe but the tube just deformed the steel - fail

second was a die in a press, the die didnt flare the tube enough nor did it make a lip then i tried to hammer it into shape - fail

third turned out acceptable took 12 tons to form this shape, i think if i had a bigger press i could get it to roll over but what i have is going to work.

WP_20180805_18_03_34_Pro
    If the idea was to make a bellmouths search around Kmart for egg cups.
    http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article...ouths&A=110771
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information