Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Van advice

Bike
    Yes

Van advice

Looking at getting a van to convert into a weekend camper for some surf missions. Looking around there seems to be a big difference (like usually x2) in price between Toyota's and Nissan/Mazdas. Looking for any opinions or experience in whether they are actually worth x2 or any recommendations about what is a good choice.

I am looking a LWB, petrol vs diesel not too bothered even though petrol is going up in price I sense diesel may be in for a hard time from the goverment in the near future (if europe is anything to go by).

If i got one that needed a cam belt / water pump change I am guessing I should allow a couple of k for this, does that sound about right?

I'd like to keep the budget around 6-8k if possible.

Finally, imports from a dealer, ticking time bombs or not?

All advice welcomed, cheers

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by globe View Post
    Looking at getting a van to convert into a weekend camper for some surf missions. Looking around there seems to be a big difference (like usually x2) in price between Toyota's and Nissan/Mazdas. Looking for any opinions or experience in whether they are actually worth x2 or any recommendations about what is a good choice.
    Mid nineties Transits fit that price bracket and the 2.5 turbo diesel goes pretty well and way more space inside them, downside is they can tend to rust and injector pumps are expensive if they crap out
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Mid nineties Transits fit that price bracket and the 2.5 turbo diesel goes pretty well and way more space inside them, downside is they can tend to rust and injector pumps are expensive if they crap out

Cheers mate, I did look at Transits but in that price range their mileage is usually way up around 300k plus and I am guessing when they get to that age/kms then even if the motor is fine then the rest is probably on its way out ??

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    I replaced by 2001 VW T4 TDI that I had for 12 years as it was over 350 000 kms with a 2001 VW T4 TDI with only 150 000 Kms.

I like it so much I've given my 2.5 Turbo Subaru to the Missus and drive the van daily.

However..... when they need fixing it tends to add up quickly.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    I replaced by 2001 VW T4 TDI that I had for 12 years as it was over 350 000 kms with a 2001 VW T4 TDI with only 150 000 Kms.

I like it so much I've given my 2.5 Turbo Subaru to the Missus and drive the van daily.

However..... when they need fixing it tends to add up quickly.
    Yeah I like the VW's I have my eye on a T4 1998 with 235k on the clock for 5k ish, like you say though they're not super common in NZ so costs are greater if things go wrong, nicer to drive though than a hiace or L300 I'm guesing

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    They are nice to drive, mine does between 850 and 1000 kms on 75 litres.

Turbos are great.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...db43e23b1c6199
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Toyotas and Nissans are good for high mileages. Avoid Mitzis unless you're absolutely certain of their service history. Add about $800 to a service for a cambelt on a Hiace, but check with your usual mechanic. If you have no record of the previous belt replacement then probably pay to do it because a new motor is more expensive than a cambelt.
    You can get more for your money with an import, there's usually nothing wrong with them. Check out what the Dog and Lemon Guide say about used imports, it seemed like good advice to me.
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    My brother-in-law converted a Transit (don't know what year) but he is delighted with it.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    Toyotas and Nissans are good for high mileages. Avoid Mitzis unless you're absolutely certain of their service history.
    Cheers Andy, any idea on Mazda's (or are they just rebranded Nissans?)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by globe View Post
    Cheers Andy, any idea on Mazda's (or are they just rebranded Nissans?)
    Mazda = Ford
    They used to be ok and cheap but a bit small and low. We used to give our Econocans a thrashing but that was ages ago. I don't know anything about the new transits
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Yes
    Just done a bit more research, looks like the mazda, misti, nissans have a really low safety rating, whilst i never plan to crash i think it is best to get as many safety features as you can. Interesting that even though hundreds of these are imported there are no safety ratings provided by the government on their website

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    I import vehicles from Japan. If you want to get a diesel, make sure it is NZ new. For some reason the Jap imported diesels don't last long over here

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    I import vehicles from Japan. If you want to get a diesel, make sure it is NZ new. For some reason the Jap imported diesels don't last long over here
    Good to know
    Brakes as new

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    Toyotas and Nissans are good for high mileages. Avoid Mitzis unless you're absolutely certain of their service history. Add about $800 to a service for a cambelt on a Hiace, but check with your usual mechanic. If you have no record of the previous belt replacement then probably pay to do it because a new motor is more expensive than a cambelt.
    You can get more for your money with an import, there's usually nothing wrong with them. Check out what the Dog and Lemon Guide say about used imports, it seemed like good advice to me.
    Can you tell me where to find the cambelt on my Hiace. I think it might be missing
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    The Dog & Lemon guy hates cars. Are there any in that entire guide that he recommends?

Thread Information