Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LED bulbs now banned

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Now I have a +150% 55W bulb in my high beam and a normal one in my low beam, plus have Stonk LED running lights, as I find that the +150% bulbs don't last nearly as long as the standard one.
    Just over 2 years with my +130 xenon bulbs. I reckon that's fine with the light improvement I get over standard

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Just over 2 years with my +130 xenon bulbs. I reckon that's fine with the light improvement I get over standard
    +130% bulbs might be the best compromise.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    So are there any more opinions about the 55 watt +120% / +150% lamps, versus a standard halogen 100watt lamp?
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Red-shifted GT250R
    So would that wording make full HID conversions legal or illegal, or up to the inspector’s lack of morning coffee?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxythingy View Post
    So would that wording make full HID conversions legal or illegal, or up to the inspector’s lack of morning coffee?
    HID build conversions sold offshore are not legal. If you change the entire headlamp unit from a approved vehicle onto something else they should be fine.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    So are there any more opinions about the 55 watt +120% / +150% lamps, versus a standard halogen 100watt lamp?
    The 100 W bulbs are brighter but they do run hotter. Given that the headlights are plastic and usually expensive, a Plus bulb would be a safer choice.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    My Blackbird with 100W halogens used to run fairly hot but the headlight volume was reasonably large to dissipate the heat. I wasn't game to try them in a smaller volume (the Street Triple) so that's when I tried higher output Xenon bulbs of the standard wattage. They were quite sufficient to do the Grand Challenge 1600 km ride with plenty of illumination on unlit back roads.

Bike
    2009 ST1300
    I've had an issue in the past with a 100W bulb melting the socket on the end of the wire.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Given that the headlights are plastic
    Haha nope, HQ Holden headlight in the old 'Wing, to replace the stock sealed beam which is, get this, 40watt standard (not halogen). You can see why I changed it!
    I've always run a 100 watt lamp in it and wondered if the xenon jobs were better and if so by how much. Always good to reduce load where possible, to make connectors, switches and relays last longer

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    They were quite sufficient to do the Grand Challenge 1600 km ride with plenty of illumination on unlit back roads.
    Great recommendation, that's a serious road-test

Quote Originally Posted by Cadbury View Post
    I've had an issue in the past with a 100W bulb melting the socket on the end of the wire.
    Yeah, connectors are a pain, always semi corroded and usually slightly loose and ready to cause trouble when you least expect it. It's difficult to catch faulty connectors early, usually you only find out after they've had a meltdown. Or after changing something...
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    I think this is a good idea, people fucking around with shit for their own benefit and screw the effect on other road users.

Some technical stuff, the light emitted by a LED is very directional, quite similar to laser and why its so harsh on the eyes. The light from an equivelant LED source vs halogen doesn't throw the light as far ahead either meaning you need even higher power and more glare for oncoming traffic.
    The directional aspect means less side visibility for traffic approaching from side roads too.
    Proper LED headlights on some high end cars and trucks seem ok though.

Now if they'd just throw as much scrutiny on front and rear fog lamps (we don't have 70mph plus motorways here so no need) and lightbar infestations.....

My LED daytime RL/spots have their own housing so only half illegal now lol......

https://globalnews.ca/news/4122605/l...ealth-effects/
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Ok so what about leds in tailights? Is some bloke going to tell me my tailight is to bright
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Now if they'd just throw as much scrutiny on front and rear fog lamps (we don't have 70mph plus motorways here so no need) and lightbar infestations.....
    Fitting some fog lights to the lads car presently. Law is clear on the use of fog lights - they can only be used when duh foggy! Changed to that a few years back mainly due to knobs in 4WD's with 7 inch fog lights using them like DRL

Bike
    Red-shifted GT250R
    Just tidying up the law to match the existing HID requirements - i.e. only in a headlight that's designed for it. Anything else and the focus is shit.

As the light emitting surface moves further away from the focus point of the headlight, the amount sent in the wrong direction gets rapidly worse. 1-2mm makes a big difference, let alone some of this shit:

H1 bulb vs not-bad LED vs fairly shit LED vs OMGROFLLED.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H1 bulb.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	254.4 KB 
ID:	337296   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H1 LED 0.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	337293   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H1 LED 1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	337295   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H1 LED 2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	337294  

Bike
    Red-shifted GT250R
    Just realised that last pair have almost nothing emitting at the focal point. They would probably blind all the possums in trees and rabbits in the grass, yet fail to illuminate the sheep in the middle of the road.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I have a pair of low beam leds in my ute which has projector style low beam lights. They are fantastic! They cut off at exactly the correct place with zero scatter above that line and produce a much better spread of light. I drive at night a lot and have not been flashed at once.
    Generally you can tell if your lights are annoying others I have found in the past...of course that is nothing to do with whether I will be allowed to keep them and, as I asked before, is it low beam only or will it be extended to all other lights, high beam, spotties etc?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Thread Information