Thread: Dynojet Autotune thingy

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar

Dynojet Autotune thingy

Who has experience with these, are they worth the extra money ?
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Who has experience with these, are they worth the extra money ?
    If you already have athe PC5 thingy it will plug into, just go and get that tuned properly. The Auto tune is trying to match to a arbitrary pre set air fuel ratio. Whether that is actually best for your specific bike is moot.

Brett Roberts recently produced a graph of a dyno curve - can't remember the bike, but had an auto tune fitted to a PC5 or like. He then disconnected the autotune and mapped the fuelling properly and saw real measurable gains all over....

Personally I'd not bother with the autotune and just get the mapping done properly by Brett (assuming he's handy to you. he's moved to Paeroa) 0274031119

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Not had one myself but everytime Ive read about them people seem to get good gains on the dyno.

+1 on Brett as well. Ive got 2 going to him soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Its a yes from me for Brett, he coaxed a few more HP out of my old BMW racer.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Not a fan of dyno, lot of stress on bike and not same cooling etc as real world....
    Had my GSXR1100 on one years ago and it was the beginning of troubles for that bike....

The reviews online of auto tune seem good in conjunction with wideband O2 sensors.... Was more wondering if it's something you leave on bike long term or store the initial maps and sell it off....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Not a fan of dyno, lot of stress on bike and not same cooling etc as real world....
    Had my GSXR1100 on one years ago and it was the beginning of troubles for that bike....

The reviews online of auto tune seem good in conjunction with wideband O2 sensors.... Was more wondering if it's something you leave on bike long term or store the initial maps and sell it off....
    I beg to differ. Your GSXR1100 likely had the problems to begin with, and a bike that pops its clogs on the dyno would have done the same on the road or track ( though an unsympathetic operator can have an impact). Cooling - again depends on the operator - one who is continuing to drive for a result on an over heating bike is an idiot as it is diminishing returns, never mind the effect of your bike! (but also do look for lots of airflow volume)

How is the stress of a 6 second dyno run different to running your bike in 3rd gear up to redline on the road? One of my bikes (GP 2 stroke which are not known for longevity) had a 100 runs on the dyno in one series of events to get the set up right. That would be the equivalent run to redline and change up, for 9 laps of HD. It would take me years if ever to get the result I have. A friends has over 170 as he continues to seek perfection of mid range fuelling and drive/useablity.

In fact via the dyno we have identified issues that we did not know existed (air leak plus loss of compression due to a trapped ring). Continued normal running would have caused problems. That Dyno's are hard on bikes is actually a myth, especially modern ones. Years ago, possibly yes as bikes would be held wide while load is balanced and measured , but inertia, accelerative style ones, no.

Irrespective, I refer to my original comment. Arguably an Autotune may give you a better result over stock and possibly 80% result, but a proper mapping will give the best result. A bike I have just bought did have a PC5 and Autotune fitted. This has been replaced by a FTECU remap. The PC5 came with it both it and the autotune are no longer fitted.....

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Inertia dyno are no more hard than running your bike up to change point near red on the road, something it should easily handle. My racing 50 had literally 100s of runs, like, several hundred. It never popped on the dyno.
    I've certainly found several bikes that drop off power under load, choose a dyno you can do an all gears run as it will find fuel starvation the a single run will miss. This could mean your fast bike is inexplicably passed by other bikes you thought were slower at the end of the straight.
    Or pop for going lean.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information