Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heated Grips: Any naysayers?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    whats a good one then?..my experience has been on factory fit ones.
    I was recommended BMW but they aren't cheap.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    Heated grips can make a huge difference in winter commuting (if you're riding more than about 30 minutes) and winter touring.
    I've done several long rides in winter and through the South Island in wintry conditions. I've never had trouble keeping my core warm, but without heated grips I had hands so cold they were painful after a couple of hours.
    Hand guards also help, as is noted.
    Fitted some R&G heated grips - under $100 from TSS. Easy to fit and wired them into my sidelights so they switch off with the ignition.

Bike
    2023 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
    Some interesting feedback, cheers! Well, either way, I'm looking forward to trying them out.
    I did in fact order some Oxford "Premium Touring" type... I like that they turn themselves off when the bike turns off.
    I should look into getting some wind guards or bark busters too.

When I toured the South Island on an R1200GS it had every possible option in the option list ticked with the one EXCEPTION being factory heated grips. It did have hand guards though, and I found them fairly good on the one cold rainy day of my tour. But at the end of that day I was still soaked to the bone, freezing cold, and miserable, despite my waterproof gear and winter gloves. I felt like if the Beemer had had heated grips it would have mitigated this somewhat, by keeping my hands at least a bit warmer and drier than they were. But that particular day, riding from Queenstown through Haast pass, Fox Glacier etc for about 6 or 7 hours through rain so heavy that it felt like I was riding through a swimming pool at some times, no amount of waterproof or warm gear would've helped, I think.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    don't waste your money on them there are so many advantages with heated jackets
    they can go from bike to bike, sell your bike your heted grips go with it,
    have more than one bike, more sets of grips...
    nice light jacket instead of bulking up on clothes just turn it on and off
    when you get cold your body saves it's heat for the core to survive, limiting blood going to extremities, toes and fingers. heat your core with a jacket and it keeps sending warm blood to fingers and toes so negates the need for heated grips.
    you can now get usb chargeable jackets so you don't have to plug into your bike
    Well I dunno about that theory of heat migration. I have had a heated vest for a number of years, can get pretty damn hot around my torso but fingers and toes remain bitterly cold and painful (using good, but maybe not great boots and gloves) when riding to and from Brass Monkeys. The KLR does have hand guards, which are ok yo reduce the cold air flow. Heated grips are good-ish, although the heat is in the wrong place. Heated gloves are the best. Heated boot liners next (Zarkie.com.au)
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Heated gloves anyone....?

I bought these couple years ago and have been awesome

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...leather-gloves

For starters they are a good heavy winter leather glove to start with and have great gaiters that keep water out and along with good snow sealing have been 100% waterproof.
    I only need to plug them in when say 4 deg or colder. Expected them to be toaster hot but instead just provide an effective level of heat alround.

Bought them for the finger numbing cold on the winter MMMMM rides and trips over Taupo or taihape roads in winter. Highly recommended and not bulky, the dexterity and feel of brake lever etc is very close to summer gloves.

One thing to think of though is how much spare amps your charging system has... the poor lil DR650 standard alternator doesn't have much. Think if I had vest as well it would start running dead loss system.....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Heated gloves anyone....?
    +1 . I only use my Gerbing heated gloves when it's really cold but they really do the job. Like yours, they run off the bike supply. For shorter runs like commuting, gloves with their own battery packs seem pretty good, where you can get 2 or 3 hours off a single charge.

Bike
    BMW R1200RT 2014
    Do the double. Heated grips and heated seat on my BMW R1200RT. If it gets really cold I will put the heated jacket, heated pants and heated socks on but usually the hand grips and bum heater are enough.

Bike
    A
    Heated grips on their own are of limited value. When I used to commute by bike, in Wellington, the heated grips were nice. On longer trips at speed, even in summer, I'll admit to using heated grips on a low heat.

The other aspect is that I prefer a sporty (as in thin) leather glove. So heated grips, along with an under glove (I use Rev'it! brand helium gloves at present as an under glove) allows me to go almost year round with a sporty glove.

As has been mentioned, a set of heated grips will warm the inside of he hand. At speed in lower temps, the outside of the hand still gets cold. The under glove or thermal type inner will partly solve that. Beyond that, you're into a heavier glove, which I'm not a fan of.

There you go, take your pick out of the responses and see what suits you best.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I was recommended BMW but they aren't cheap.
    oh ...thats what i had.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by samgab View Post
    Some interesting feedback, cheers! Well, either way, I'm looking forward to trying them out.
    I did in fact order some Oxford "Premium Touring" type... I like that they turn themselves off when the bike turns off.
    I should look into getting some wind guards or bark busters too.

When I toured the South Island on an R1200GS it had every possible option in the option list ticked with the one EXCEPTION being factory heated grips. It did have hand guards though, and I found them fairly good on the one cold rainy day of my tour. But at the end of that day I was still soaked to the bone, freezing cold, and miserable, despite my waterproof gear and winter gloves. I felt like if the Beemer had had heated grips it would have mitigated this somewhat, by keeping my hands at least a bit warmer and drier than they were. But that particular day, riding from Queenstown through Haast pass, Fox Glacier etc for about 6 or 7 hours through rain so heavy that it felt like I was riding through a swimming pool at some times, no amount of waterproof or warm gear would've helped, I think.
    thats odd ,that would be the first option i would tick

Bike
    Red-shifted GT250R
    I run a pair of Oxford touring grips for commuting outside of Christchurch and have done for a few years. Wouldn't commute without them, but want to buy a pair of heated gloves. They are a better solution, just at 2-5 times the price.

I like the grips. They make some rides safe, where my hands would otherwise be freezy cold. Wet weather makes them shine. But I'm still going to get sore fingers when the temps get close to or below zero.

I'll give the grips out of 5 for effectiveness, but 5/5 when talking value for money.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Just to add, one thing I found.... my jacket that I thought was awesome... suddenly felt cold once heated gloves bought.
    Soon as you heat one part of body better the next weak spot is exposed.....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    bandit
    I have them on my 1250 - but not on my commute bike (commute is about 20 minutes and is mostly open road, 100 klicks plus).

On my 1250 I love them. They are not the be all of keeping your hands warm, but they are pretty damn good. I use the 1250 long distance, have Oxford grips. I have never run them over 75% as they feel too hot on 100%, and only had them at 75% once, in freezing weather. The warm the palms, and the warm the blood, which then circulates the warmth up the arms.

My suggestion is try them.
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by veldthui View Post
    Do the double. Heated grips and heated seat on my BMW R1200RT. If it gets really cold I will put the heated jacket, heated pants and heated socks on but usually the hand grips and bum heater are enough.
    It makes it hard to go away from an RT once you've had all the bells and whistles.

I've had mine for a few years, and every time I look at a different bike I get disappointed when they don't have cruise, heated seat and grips, stereo, ESC etc.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    It makes it hard to go away from an RT once you've had all the bells and whistles.

I've had mine for a few years, and every time I look at a different bike I get disappointed when they don't have cruise, heated seat and grips, stereo, ESC etc.
    Geez Pete, you might as well have a car

Thread Information