Thread: 1990 Honda XR200 - Rebuild

Bike
    1990 Honda XR200R

1990 Honda XR200 - Rebuild

Hi guys,

I purchased an XR200R a while back in AIWI condition. I had no other info on the condition of the bike apart from that it was not getting a spark. After some mucking around I managed to change the Stator and finally kicked it into life. Unfortunately that life was filled with blue smoke, massive amounts of it even on idle.

I decided to remove the head and inspect it a little closer (First time I've attempted this) I'll attach the images Ive got so far.

I've ordered a top end kit (Piston, rings, gaskets etc) but Im worried that the actual head on this might be damaged. If you can see the valves, there is a rather large for lack of a better term "hole" in between the valves. It doesn't spread into each valve. There is also a small chip on the outside of the cavity.

If someone could please give me their opinion of whether or not this will be detrimental to the running of the bike once put back together or if it will be fine.

I've checked the inside of the cylinder and there is still plenty of visible honing etc so I'm confident its fine.

Any help or comments appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0576.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	525.8 KB 
ID:	337325   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0577.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	510.9 KB 
ID:	337321   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0573.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	564.5 KB 
ID:	337324   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0572.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	510.0 KB 
ID:	337323   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0571.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	497.8 KB 
ID:	337322  

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    I'd suggest getting a 2:1 mix of white spirits (Stoddard solvent) and isopropyl alcohol and going over the head's combustion chamber. Some scrubbing with an old dish brush or similar (plastic bristles) plus a rag should bring the worst of the combustion crud off without marking the aluminium and then you can see the state of the damage a bit more easily. Get mechanic's gloves, the solvent is not kind to skin, and work somewhere ventilated.

Blue smoke: it does look a lot like the valves have oiled up, suggest checking the state of wear on the valve stems and guides, and also have a look at the valve guide seals. It could of course be the rings but you've covered that with the new top end kit.

The middle photo seems to show a lot of carbon inside the combustion chamber, like the bike's running super rich or with bad combustion or both... if this is happening it could be wear in the carburettor or bad wiring between battery and the top of the coil.

Bike
    1990 Honda XR200R
    Thanks very much for the info. Very helpful.

I've decided to take the head to a machine shop here in Dunedin. They're going to give the head a good going over and also replace the valves etc. I'll give you an update once the head is back and the top end kit has arrived.

Many thanks,
    Pete

Bike
    1990 Honda XR200R
    Alright update...

Head has been machined etc and looking much much better. Unfortunately I was unaware that the previous owner had swapped the engine out for an XL185. I was only aware of this once I had ordered the piston etc and went to slot this in...So Ive gone ahead and ordered a slightly oversized piston for the XL185. Hopefully my Clymer manual turns up tomorrow also so I can start putting this back together.

Thread Information