Thread: Trouble shifting to neutral

Bike
    n/a

Trouble shifting to neutral

Hi,

I recently bought an Aprilia STX 150 second hand. This is my first bike. It has been sitting unused for approx. 6 months.
    I have a problem (i think) with the bike not wanting to shift to neutral. When i am parked in my driveway or at the lights, if i want to shift to neutral, the foot lever won't move when the clutch lever is fully pulled in.
    If I turn the engine off, I can shift to neutral easily.
    If the bike is up on its centre stand, the rear wheel moves quite fast when in 1st, and it moves even faster when i give it some throttle.
    Also, if the engine is turned off, the rear wheel is a little stiff when in first and the clutch is pulled in.
    I don't know if I am doing it wrong, or if something just needs to be adjusted.

any help would be appreciated.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Nothing unusual about the clutch needing to be pulled in fully at a stop to select neutral as you describe.

likewise when on the stand in gear the rear wheel will often rotate slowly - just a bit of clutch drag. Logically it will speed up if you give it a rev. Same thing when turned of on the stand in gear - just a bit of drag. Pop it in neutral and that resistance will be gone.

Did you buy the bike from a shop? Had it been serviced - fresh oil?

If you don't know give it a oil and filter change - pop in a decent semi-synthetic oil as fresh oil can make a difference to shifting (try Motul 5100). Me I like the full synthetics but you'll shit yourself at the price.

Bike
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Nothing unusual about the clutch needing to be pulled in fully at a stop to select neutral as you describe.

likewise when on the stand in gear the rear wheel will often rotate slowly - just a bit of clutch drag. Logically it will speed up if you give it a rev. Same thing when turned of on the stand in gear - just a bit of drag. Pop it in neutral and that resistance will be gone.

Did you buy the bike from a shop? Had it been serviced - fresh oil?

If you don't know give it a oil and filter change - pop in a decent semi-synthetic oil as fresh oil can make a difference to shifting (try Motul 5100). Me I like the full synthetics but you'll shit yourself at the price.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that as it probably needs one anyway.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    If a bike has been sitting for long periods ... the metal and fibre clutch plates can stick together.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information