Thread: 2017 CBR1000RR verses 2015 CBR1000RR (after over 100,000kms)

Bike
    2015/18 Blade, 81 Katana, KR150R

2017 CBR1000RR verses 2015 CBR1000RR (after over 100,000kms)

At 113,000 kms I on my 2015 CBR1000RR I just now have a 2017 CBR1000RR (I danced both times). I rode some other bikes before deciding and I've had the new bike for a two days and 300kms (rode and round town / country).

It is in B mode on run in, Right from the start it is lighter and you can feel it. Just taking it off the stand I could tell, that was really the deciding moment. The 2015 is also amazing at 200kg wet for a 1000cc supersport but the new model is just lighter again. Low balanced weight.
    Quite a bit higher in the seat. I am not tall so I've gone from mostly flat foot to balls only. Still no problem to navigate and easy to push about.

Ride by wire seems ok. There are lots of settings (yet to explore). I remember the 2015 was/is quite odd in engine breaking. It seems to have none, then it kicks in fairly hard and eases away. The delay is a good half second or more. The new one has settings which I am yet to mess about with as it is it seems similar.
    My basic intention is to run it in (varying speeds) and to ride it mostly unlocked for a while (the last one had no rider aids including ABS) and then mess about with them.

Still as it is in b mode the handling is exceptional. It feels well dialed in from the shop from the start (but we will see if it can be better). Both bikes are great but I can just feel this one is easier again to go fast. It has quite a two stroke feel being light and power on from everywhere.
    It feel like the distance between crotch and bars is less so I feel a little more upright. I normally ride two hours five days. I took it about and hour and a half and it was mostly fine (pain in wrists from slightly different angle I will get use to soon enough).
    The seat seems hard however I put over 100k on the last one so has custom ass wear. I'm looking forward to unlocking it and I am absolutely going to take it to the track (again and again).

All the blades are great bikes. The 2017 right from the start to me is clearly the best (in terms of easy to go fast and ride generally) as you would hope for their latest bike (90% new or revised parts from previous model).
    I'm looking forward to clocking this one over 100,000kms assuming I continue to survive. I've had some patchy moments recently so ABS etc seems a good choice, give myself the best fighting chance of surviving long distance commuting I can.

I do not want to be ruined by electronics and will continue to ride other bikes. For all the latest sports bikes the classics still tend to give me the biggest grins.

The new blade really is amazing as are I am sure the whole range of current super sports long may they continue to be made. First thing tomorrow (being sunday) when I get up... I am going for a ride. First oil change next week and run in complete.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Very nice. Enjoy

Bike

2017 CBR1000RR 700kms update

After a few runs on the commute I am liking the new bike. Mostly just being new everything is tight, the suspension was set hard (feels great). It is just somewhat easier to go faster on this bike. That is not an excuse like comment. You can go faster because the bike makes it easier and you feel safer.

If seems an over all improvement in what was exceptional handling of the previous bike still. It is also as comfortable to ride still (my wrists have got use to the slight change in position now).

The horn is a complete pain in the ass being massive and where the old indicators where. The indicators are quite small and also a pain without the horn. It will takes a few weeks before they all seem normal again (stupid). I also seem to have issue finding high beam at night. It looks like a reasonable position in the light and I am sure again I will adapt and it will become fine.

It should be exceptional on the track and compensate more for my average for an armature track skills. It will get some track time at some point (I might wait till the tracks warm a little mid winter cold tracks..).

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Enjoy the new ride and I look forward to reading more about it in the future.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    Quote Originally Posted by IronPawz View Post
    After a few runs on the commute I am liking the new bike. Mostly just being new everything is tight, the suspension was set hard (feels great). It is just somewhat easier to go faster on this bike. That is not an excuse like comment. You can go faster because the bike makes it easier and you feel safe
    Any problem with false neutrals like some mags are reporting?

Cheers

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmik de Bris View Post

Cheers
    I've hit actual neutral a few times just not giving it enough pressure with the quick shifter but no other neutrals so far. I'm planning to go to Taupo this Sunday so we will see then. So far the gearbox is great (about 4000k now). The shifter was totally worth it.

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01

Cheers
    The false neutral scare was a little bit bollocks IMHO. The bikes which had that issue were race machines which had their gearboxes tinkered with and then raced without enough testing or practice to work out the problems.

I know a couple of people with the new blades and absolutely NO gearbox issues at all.

It was a PR nightmare for the manufacturer but, like I said, it is important to note that the problems weren't on your average "off the shelf" bike and not in normal riding conditions either.

I fear that there will be people out there who ride one, get a false neutral just due to not shifting properly (as we're all capable of) and blaming it on the bike, compounding the problem
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post
    The false neutral scare was a little bit bollocks IMHO. The bikes which had that issue were race machines which had their gearboxes tinkered with and then raced without enough testing or practice to work out the problems. (
    You could be right about the hype but it was reported by a couple of mags as well. They were on the track but not race bikes.

Cheers

Bike
    You could be right about the hype but it was reported by a couple of mags as well. They were on the track but not race bikes.

Cheers
    I've taken more notice and really I think the gearbox to date is fine. On the 2015 Blade I hardly used the clutch once running and barely blipped the throttle changing. The new one has the quick shifter and I really like it. They are never totally smooth at slow speeds and you still should put proper pressure on it (though you can generally give it a quite light tap you are inviting trouble to keep getting lighter until you find issue).
    It is going to the track hopefully on the 11th (or is to 12 MottoTT at Manfield) so I can try that. I'm not Frost and I'll be trying to take it smooth not balls out on the first run on likely a cold track and S21 street tires (great track tires but no heated slicks and it is much more bike than I am rider).

I think it is a great bike and so was (and is talking to the new owner) the 2015. Over all? The new one is best. More punchy in mode 1 and delightfully twitchy (not so linear). More Ducati. I really have come to think of it as Honda's Ducati. I've just left it in Mode 1 from the start and never set another mode. I will play with the settings more at the track.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IronPawz View Post
    I really have come to think of it as Honda's Ducati.
    . .

Thread Information