Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes it seems the universe wants to kill me

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    MCrider demonstrates the effect with graphics, in one situation: approaching a cager waiting impatiently to turn across your path behind the cager ahead of you.

Fast forward the first half of the vid though, if you can't afford to invest the 3 mins.

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IronPawz View Post
    In three days, four sketchy incidences. First a found wheel skip going up a hil,l slightly wet with tar seal patches. Found skipped on a patch that would have possibly been an off into the bank and I'm thinking something broken. But it passed in a split second and all was well. The second was in the lane split where two cars dam near hit each others (as I was attempting to split). I pulled back, they swayed in and as they went out I went through. But that same day on the way home was worse. In front of me a 4wd kind of drifted right. I started to back off then he/she swerved violently back onto the road. There is a concrete divider there due to the new highway construction. If they had hit it on their right they would have swerved in on my. I saw it all play out in my head as I rode on (3rd time in one day the universe is trying to kill me).

So I thought about it and one thing was clear to me above the others. I have closed my following distance to much. I am often in 1.2 seconds verses 2 seconds so I need to sit back a bit more (when not passing). I took notice of my distance the next day all seemed of. The following day riding a test bike with ABS (first time using ABS) going into town another massive lane swerver! Right in front of me. I felt the flutter just for a moment in the breaks as ABS hit. I'd have been ok either way but again my distance is close. I get away with that 1.2 most of the time due to luck and attention. Attention mind is simply not the same all the time and luck well... long may it last. That 3rd one mind the truck. That one would has hit me hard likely into the traffic on the inside line. I was that bit close and the truck barely missed a concrete barrier between lanes. I didn't detect it soon enough. Looking back the signs started a good second sooner and I know the area so generally I'd have noticed and back up sooner (looked behind etc got ready to avoid). This time I was just a bit distracted and stayed to close.

Still I am here so the universe must love me. For now. Because luck it seems at times is looking after me more than I am.
    yep i feeling the same way lately missed out on good job, the first i have been offered to me in 8 years
    and was mine for taking. offered me day trail . went out for the day in the van . whould been great i dont get many chance in life
    I be set up for promising futrue for me and family 50 plus hours all the time.
    On the way to interview guy cuts right across my path ,just as well i saw possible outcome ,and i was allready braking . in away worked in my credit was much calmer
    as these days unless am on ground whats use geting worked up angry only makes u feel tired over worked.
    and didnt have a trad interview, boss of the place stood talked me at counter win win.
    Kown got scotter got more time to realz and think whats going on around me and to be frank scaring me a little . other day i thought should i pack in the bikes . dad said i should .

i want be around for my 8 year son after all . not so bad for me am in 50 kph zones all the time .
    bloody hell not sure been keen motorways these days going to work.

oh well i think many things life we have no control over think bikes least are worrys
    all can be bit much but the benifets are worth the risk . as me risking failure in a job chance hell yes
    felt good to be working for the day i got paid alot money for me takes me 2 weeks to earn that . and did in just one day. whats two seconds rather have that life time boredom.
    just my opion good u got us thinking never a bad thing. just dont dwel on things

Oh he was old school boss not asking what i done before just give it a good crack or going over cvs just get give it a go

it was great...

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

In fact, I critique my own riding based on how much braking I have to do. The less braking I use, the better I'm dealing with traffic around me. The more distance I leave ahead of me, the less braking I have to do.

Look for solutions, Obiwan, rather than focusing on the problem.
    I learned my road craft from an old grumpy military instructor....
    He would give you an enormous bollocking for using the brake...Only to be used in emergencies.

I still ride/ drive like that....40 years later and ZERO accidents
    Touch wood
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    I learned my road craft from an old grumpy military instructor....
    He would give you an enormous bollocking for using the brake...Only to be used in emergencies.

I still ride/ drive like that....40 years later and ZERO accidents
    Touch wood
    I never forgoteen old bike cop pulling me over after left stop sign witout dabing foot down.

He was looking after me and suggested u know good practice that way u going make sure u look.

and i always have and glad he did that was 40 years ago. pity dont have bike cops anymore.

yep something said for learning control bike with gears good control. rode my vfr 750 just rear brake working.

Bloody risky though but used gears looked ahead knew i had too ,lets face it old bikes with drum brakes like wood.
    even 70,s discs sainless steel had piss poor feel. compared to today.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    What is it with overtaking drivers-I recently got caught behind a slower driver with nowhere safe to pass-twas a nice day so chilled and bided my time-next thing there is a car passing me in my lane,I could just see his outside wheels move over the centre line, just.Half a click up the road was a stop sign so I took advantage to tap on his window and give an earful,most unlike me as I am normally pretty laid back.
    I reckon he was no more than two feet from my bar ends and at 90k a bit scary,arsehole,I now feel a bit for cyclists (but only a bit)
    Being chilled and riding a motorcycle don't go together well.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I would respectfully suggest the complete opposite. If everyone on the road was more chilled the road would be a far better place.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    depends how much you value your life....
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Quiet plodder

Chillin - the way I currently see it

Chillin doesn’t mean less control or awareness. It can be the opposite.

not getting worked up about ignorant, in their own world, tunnel vision, slow, sudden lane changing, non indicating, cut off jerks and
    You can apply it to lane splitting, whether YOU take the risk is your affair.
    i have see enough bad driving, to not contemplate it most of the time.

it can mean you may observe other events before they affect you.

Can and does lead lead to a better ride experience. For me anyway.

still doesn’t mean you can’t ride at a good pace etc.

Chillin is not for everyone or all the time. There is a time and place for everything

end of the day, it’s your ride. Enjoy it.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    I would respectfully suggest the complete opposite. If everyone on the road was more chilled the road would be a far better place.
    yes agreed still get some good peop0le let you into a space even if your driving for a job
    its best to be chilled aware but not holding onto the bars .
    if bike get loose i just let do its thing ditto for car sterring wheel goes like relax usually right iself.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Well, that's not going to happen. You have to be focused out there, especially on a bike.

Bike
    It was on the good
    No shit. I meant be chilled out about other road users. That way we might see some courtesy on NZ roads instead of all the road rage inducing behaviour caused by people with short fuses.

Most weeks someone tries to kill me, or should I say most weeks someone fucks up that could potentially put me in a world of hurt but I expect it so when it does happens I might have a shake of the head, appreciate they made a mistake and move on to the next one. Shit, half the time I can predict it is going to happen which is part of the fun of riding. Now I could either be chilled out about it or I could work myself in to a fit of rage, kick the wing mirror off, give them the fingers and ride off stressed to the max. Nah, I'll ride chilled, and focused.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Maybe we have slightly different understandings of what chilled means?

I agree though, it's just not worth getting all wound up, especially on a motorbike. I have noticed that I seem to have less dramas on the bike, apart from the occasional driver who fails to see me. Not sure why, maybe because I'm in a better mood when riding?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Maybe we have slightly different understandings of what chilled means?

I agree though, it's just not worth getting all wound up, especially on a motorbike. I have noticed that I seem to have less dramas on the bike, apart from the occasional driver who fails to see me. Not sure why, maybe because I'm in a better mood when riding?
    Chillaxed.. Best way to travel. Save fuel, save tyres, brake pads and premature heart failure.

If anything, being chilled about traffic and fully focused on whats happening lessens stress, so fewer mistakes. Better anticipation, whether that be muppetry or an opportunity to "make headway".

My commute reinforces my belief that a lot of road users are not fully engaged in driving / riding. Disregarding the cell phone users, those who just have to get ahead and drivers who spend more time looking at their passenger than the road while they blether away, oblivious to other traffic, a high percentage of drivers are just not involved. If i'm in traffic and see someone wanting to exit a junction ahead of me I usually give them a courtesy flash and leave space for them to pull out. 1 in 20 might realise what I'm doing, the rest are confused. Not a good indicator of driving standards and awareness.

My bucket of shits is pretty empty when it comes to humanity on the road, I'm the dude stress merchants want to get past but will be right behind you on arrival.

Yeah, once you get in the groove on the bike it all melts away, totally involved but patient. Lots of corners tomorrow if you get baulked today.

What I've seen on the road in the last few months has really chilled me out. Almost thought about buying shares in Uber and getting a chauffeur. Not for the bike...
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    In fact, I critique my own riding based on how much braking I have to do. The less braking I use, the better I'm dealing with traffic around me. The more distance I leave ahead of me, the less braking I have to do.
    I'm the same. Commuting in to work each day, I'm still confused as to why people feel the need to be braking so frequently.

To do the full commute without braking is a challenge I give myself every now and then. Up there with finish the commute without putting my feet on the ground.
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    My commute reinforces my belief that a lot of road users are not fully engaged in driving / riding.
    That there is the road toll in a nutshell. If you could somehow convince everyone that they needed to be fully engaged at all times when travelling the highways and byways then I am sure the number of crashes would fall through the floor. Pretty much impossible I guess, so everything is going to keep getting dumbed down.

Thread Information