Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sometimes it seems the universe wants to kill me

Bike
    2015/18 Blade, 81 Katana, KR150R
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    I'm gunna need a lifetimes supply of Popcorn for this thread.
    Good on ya Pawz, relax, have some fun, there are plenty of places where outright speed is bloody dangerous, butt, there are quite a few where, with no one else about you can indulge the need occassionally, just don't keep the wrist over and go off the end like so many idjidt do aye.
    Be happy to have you along anytime you'd like to go for a pootle.

Thanks. I probably should ride with others more often, hardly ever do generally. Just sorting myself out a gold course too.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyd View Post
    My advice is, you have two choices, 1] Adjust your attitude to save yourself and OTHERS. 2] Sell your bike and buy a Prius.
    A car to work from here would be horrible in terms of time (be more like 3 hours a day) and drive (all that slow traffic). The only one I can think might be ok would be a Tesla self driving car so I can pretend to drive and read a book or whatever. I've not liked driving for years it is just so boring.

I get the impression I'll end up with a change for the better generally. The only thing I REALLY don't like so far is being conscious of cars behind me. Normally all my concentration is forward looking for passing opportunities but sitting in the traffic I see cars coming up behind me and at times staying to close behind. In these cases if not insane I will move up and consider it less risk than a tail gater.

Not riding is no option (while I have a licence) I've three bikes and intend to keep the old Katana for the rest of my life. Track next week will also help with the road sillies! Gagging to get the new Blade to the track. It feels more like a 600 than a 1000 on the road (so light).

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    I'm impressed. You listened, you thought, you changed! There is hope!

We're all mortal, mate. None of us gets out alive. I've got a few things left to do before I check out for good though, and it sounds like you do too.

Enjoy the ride and, every once in a while, take the long way home.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    I'm impressed. You listened, you thought, you changed! There is hope!

We're all mortal, mate. None of us gets out alive. I've got a few things left to do before I check out for good though, and it sounds like you do too.

Enjoy the ride and, every once in a while, take the long way home.

Nice and I often take the long way home and in. I've managed to tone it down generally and I'm happy about it. Now and then I let fly but race track days are back (just open days for me no racing.. yet) and it reminds me road fast is nothing like track fast (so that slows me down). Way better at seeing people go past and leaving them to it (though I give chase at times just for kicks). I push the filter a little less which is how things where before. So the changes seem to have stuck with self administered less drastic lapses. I may on occasion still split two cars playing side by side buddy down a mostly empty highway when I want to go faster than them but its an exception after given them a minute or two when I am in the mood. I'm not about to buy a cruiser anytime soon and its still a big risk to ride 10 hours a week naturally.

I do mind, always enjoy the ride. Don't remember any that where all bad or ever wishing I lived in town when getting on the bike to commute. I love riding it is one of the great joys in life. Plans include lots more bikes and many epic rides (really want to do Himalaya's on the Royal Enfield. Hopefully lots of life left. I think at times lifes shit spills over into the riding and can express itself in ever increasing nihilism, and that is something to watch. When you ride all the time your head space can make you dangerous too. So you have to be able to ride well angry, upset and afraid for example. Its easier said than done and hard too to see at the time. You can really loose some frustration being a loon on a bike but that does not make it a good idea. Some coping mechanisms are more healthy than others . Like a nice cold beer or several!

I hope you enjoy the ride also and take the long way at times.

Bike
    I am still alive. Riding has improved on the road generally (there are occasions).

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Do some RF courses.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Do some RF courses.

Good advice I've booked once (a load of us did) and had to work last minute. I was out yesterday with Dave Moss and the two bald bikers doing a run and suspension (and recommend that totally might write something up on that now). But I will do some gold courses I hear loads about them and have picked up a lot just from friends doing them (better to do it myself).

Bike
    Two an a half months later and many more KMs and I still live. No gold course still. Few extra sketchy moments but most of them where not my doing (general cage madness). Must admit to some bad decisions on bad days generally involving speed or proximity or both.

But for now still going. 2013 started 40,000kms per year, four of those years on Fireblades. 5.5 * 40 = 220,000kms on two wheels. I'm not cocky about it but must be doing something right (and lucky to boot).

Only 35 demerits currently!

Bike

Still Alive, no longer commuting

So it seems I survived more than 250,000kms of commuting! Some sketchy moments in there. So hard not to get complacent. Gaps look bigger and easier the more you do it.

Now I can ride just for the joy of it. We (wife / self) took over Kai Iwi Beach Holiday Park and live there so surrounded in good riding and 30 steps to the office.

This thread was really good at the time. Gave me a place to tell it as it was in some of those close call moments. Now I have more time so might start a new thread.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by IronPawz View Post
    So it seems I survived more than 250,000kms of commuting! Some sketchy moments in there. So hard not to get complacent. Gaps look bigger and easier the more you do it.

Now I can ride just for the joy of it. We (wife / self) took over Kai Iwi Beach Holiday Park and live there so surrounded in good riding and 30 steps to the office.

This thread was really good at the time. Gave me a place to tell it as it was in some of those close call moments. Now I have more time so might start a new thread.
    Hey, glad to see you're still with us and managed thus far to stay upright, love the lakes. Enjoy those roads aye.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Hey, glad to see you're still with us and managed thus far to stay upright, love the lakes. Enjoy those roads aye.
    Cheers! Sunny today might have to check out a road or two.

Bike
    Yeah its madness really

250,000+ commuter km's much of it filtering and most of it on CBR1000RR's
    Maybe 40+ track days (and track training days)
    1 suspension ride with Dave Moss (and a few tuning sessions with him at the track)
    0 actual days with pro's learning road and riding skills

I've likely all sorts of terrible habits. On the bright side all my friends do these and they do relay a lot of good information.
    Must be time to consider some now (if they actually do any out here as I'd have to triply my current monthly riding numbers to ride to Wellington to do a course right now)

Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Do some RF courses.

Thread Information