Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sometimes it seems the universe wants to kill me

Bike
    2015/18 Blade, 81 Katana, KR150R

Sometimes it seems the universe wants to kill me

In three days, four sketchy incidences. First a found wheel skip going up a hil,l slightly wet with tar seal patches. Found skipped on a patch that would have possibly been an off into the bank and I'm thinking something broken. But it passed in a split second and all was well. The second was in the lane split where two cars dam near hit each others (as I was attempting to split). I pulled back, they swayed in and as they went out I went through. But that same day on the way home was worse. In front of me a 4wd kind of drifted right. I started to back off then he/she swerved violently back onto the road. There is a concrete divider there due to the new highway construction. If they had hit it on their right they would have swerved in on my. I saw it all play out in my head as I rode on (3rd time in one day the universe is trying to kill me).

So I thought about it and one thing was clear to me above the others. I have closed my following distance to much. I am often in 1.2 seconds verses 2 seconds so I need to sit back a bit more (when not passing). I took notice of my distance the next day all seemed of. The following day riding a test bike with ABS (first time using ABS) going into town another massive lane swerver! Right in front of me. I felt the flutter just for a moment in the breaks as ABS hit. I'd have been ok either way but again my distance is close. I get away with that 1.2 most of the time due to luck and attention. Attention mind is simply not the same all the time and luck well... long may it last. That 3rd one mind the truck. That one would has hit me hard likely into the traffic on the inside line. I was that bit close and the truck barely missed a concrete barrier between lanes. I didn't detect it soon enough. Looking back the signs started a good second sooner and I know the area so generally I'd have noticed and back up sooner (looked behind etc got ready to avoid). This time I was just a bit distracted and stayed to close.

Still I am here so the universe must love me. For now. Because luck it seems at times is looking after me more than I am.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    "Found wheel skip"... I guess this means front wheel?

Good to hear you're OK. I just about had a similar thing with some eejit in an SUV almost failing to give way to me at a T-intersection yesterday, whoever it was tried to drive straight on through without slowing down.

+1 on the 1.2 following distance, for some reason I have a real habit of naturally closing to that distance too and have to constantly remind myself to follow at thousand-and-one, thousand-and-two...

Rastuscat's point about increased visibility at correct following distance has stayed with me, you really can see heaps more of what's about to happen ahead if you stay back a bit.

Bike
    2009 Husqvarna SM610ie
    Quote Originally Posted by IronPawz View Post
    First a found wheel skip going up a hil
    l slightly wet with tar seal patches.
    Found skipped on a patch
    in the breaks as ABS hit.
    Attention mind is simply not the same all the time and luck well... long may it last.

Double your following distance again. You're obviously aware that it's the main cause of these close calls so take heed. It also appears following too close is resulting in exhaust inhalation and braining your damage slightly. Just stay safe my guy.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Hopefully you have taken the hoodoo off my back.

Similarly, I've had some very close calls lately, they have genuinely put the wind up me. The worst was a car which span out coming towards me, I guess the driver hit the brakes on an uphill corner causing the car to fish tail and roll, 3 times. I slammed the anchors on the moment I saw the arse end step out and watched in horror as it tumbled toward me. It stopped 6 feet away. Luckily the occupants were not hurt. The road was slick as an eel.

Driving and riding defensively with generous following distances and cautious speed has kept me out of trouble 5 times in a month. A car on it's roof 6ft in front of me is very sobering, I had a couple of bevvies that night...

Maximize your space and minimize your risk.

Having said that, all my "moments" lately, have gone on to the ever growing list of "shit you wouldn't dream of happening". Hence my nagging paranoia.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    I like to create "no vehicle zones" in front any time I use the road, regardless of whether I am driving or riding. Trouble is, when you do this you find many volunteers to fill up those unused spaces you have so carelessly allowed to develop in front of you...thanks guys.

At which point it is so easy to get raucous yourself and develop vertical fingers all of a sudden. Which probably makes you an even worse driver than you usually are.

I am led to believe that there is this thing called "patience". Quite useful in traffic I am told. Wonder where you find that?
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Great patience comes with great age, kimo sabe.

The trick is not to die of impatience.

Aside from the obvious safety aspect, leaving more than enough space makes the journey relaxing rather than fraught.

Enjoy the trip, not just getting to the destination. It's wot bikes are for.

There are times when full-on frantic racing can be fun, too, but choose your times and places carefully.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    So I thought about it and one thing was clear to me above the others. I have closed my following distance to much.
    Think about it ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Red-shifted GT250R
    Had someone come blindly sailing through a red light at me on Thursday night. I'm assuming they didn't even realise there was an intersection there, as four or five cars had gone through ahead of me. Had to use liberal application of throttle, as I didn't see it early enough. Rather eye opening. And arse puckering.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Hopefully you have taken the hoodoo off my back.

Similarly, I've had some very close calls lately, they have genuinely put the wind up me. The worst was a car which span out coming towards me, I guess the driver hit the brakes on an uphill corner causing the car to fish tail and roll, 3 times. I slammed the anchors on the moment I saw the arse end step out and watched in horror as it tumbled toward me. It stopped 6 feet away. Luckily the occupants were not hurt. The road was slick as an eel.
    I am beginning to wonder how much our badly maintained roads have to do with the rising death toll. I recently rode SH1 from Kaiwaka to Wellsford in the wet, which wasn't fun as the road is a real mess in places. Dome Valley has some bad patches of tar bleed, so I turned off at Wellsford onto SH16, but that's not much better at the northern end where recent resealing is already breaking up.

Then north of Waimauku there's a section of road that with a temporary reduced speed limit because the surface is in such poor condition.

Not good enough, NZTA.

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" Douglas Adams
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I am beginning to wonder how much our badly maintained roads have to do with the rising death toll. I recently rode SH1 from Kaiwaka to Wellsford in the wet, which wasn't fun as the road is a real mess in places. Dome Valley has some bad patches of tar bleed, so I turned off at Wellsford onto SH16, but that's not much better at the northern end where recent resealing is already breaking up.

Then north of Waimauku there's a section of road that with a temporary reduced speed limit because the surface is in such poor condition.

Not good enough, NZTA.
    Come and visit. The roads up here are terrible, consistently, so you always ride with that in mind. Had a wee ride yesterday and got caught in some rain and bright winter sun. The glare from the worn smooth road surface made it difficult to see where you were going at times. The clay from tractors and gravel washed off driveways barely merits a mention, nor do the craters cunningly disguised as pot holes.

Slippy as a butchers pencil.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Come and visit. The roads up here are terrible, consistently, so you always ride with that in mind. Had a wee ride yesterday and got caught in some rain and bright winter sun. The glare from the worn smooth road surface made it difficult to see where you were going at times. The clay from tractors and gravel washed off driveways barely merits a mention, nor do the craters cunningly disguised as pot holes.

Slippy as a butchers pencil.
    Exactly. Given the shit weather this winter, I will probably leave the bike in the garage until spring, whenever that is.

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)

just had to fix a bit to make it more readable

In three days, four sketchy incidences.
    1. Going uphill the front wheel skipped on a wet tar patch that could have ended in an off into a bank, but it passed in a split second, bike regained composure and all was well.
    2. I was attempting to lane split, two cars damned near hit each other. I pulled back, they swayed in and as they went out I went through.
    3. Later that same day on the way home was worse. In front of me a 4wd that drifted right. I started to back off then he/she swerved violently back onto the road. There is a concrete divider there due to the new highway construction so if they had hit it on their right, they would have swerved back in on me. I saw it all play out in my head as I rode on (3rd time in one day the universe is trying to kill me).

So I thought about it and I am often following only 1.2 seconds verses 3 seconds behind, so I need to watch my following distances (when not passing). I took notice of my following distances the next day, all seemed ok.

4. The day after, riding a test bike with ABS (first time using ABS) going into town and there was another massive lane swerver right in front of me. I felt the flutter just for a moment in the brakes as ABS did their job. I'd have been ok either way but again my following distance was too close.

I get away with that 1.2 most of the time due to luck. That 3rd incident, with the 4wd, that would have hit me hard and likely pushed me into the traffic on the inside lane. Looking back the warning signs started a good second earlier. Had I not been following so closely, I could have noticed earlier and backed up sooner (looked behind etc got ready to avoid).

Still I am here so the universe must love me. For now. Because luck it seems at times is looking after me more than I am.
    Not perfect, but it was a bit difficult to follow in original form.

Watch your following distances, especially when riding a bike without ABS.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonicorn View Post
    Not perfect, but it was a bit difficult to follow in original form.

Watch your following distances, especially when riding a bike without ABS.
    Following distance is only partly to do with being able to stop.

It's mainly to do with being able to do a decent surface appraisal, and visibility. Visibility for you, and of you.

Hide in the space behind a vehicle if you want, but you'll see less, lose the ability to react to potholes, and people doing dumb stuff will suddenly not be able to see you.

As regards people filling your gap. So someone you don't know and never will driving a car you'll never see again takes the space ahead of you. So what. It's not a contest.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Following distance is only partly to do with being able to stop.

It's mainly to do with being able to do a decent surface appraisal, and visibility. Visibility for you, and if you.

Hide in the space behind a vehicle if you want, but you'll see less, lose the ability to react to potholes, and oeole doing dumb stuff will suddenly not be able to see you.

As regards people filling your gap. So someone you don't know and never will driving a car you'll never see again tskes the space ahead of you. So what. It's not a contest.
    Amen.....

It is as simple as that.....

And far more relaxed and pleasant while you are at it!
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Thread Information