Thread: Good light adventure bike

Bike
    bmw sertao

Good light adventure bike

I folks after some input, I currently own a Bmw Sertao. Its a great bike for on and off road, but I only way 60kg so its a bit of a lump to chuck about. Thinking of selling and getting something that is lighter, still with a good fuel size tank and fun on and off road. Bmw is worth about $7000 to $8000, so don't wish to spend more preferably less.

Thanks Leoagogo

Bike
    Dr350
    Quote Originally Posted by Leoagogo View Post
    I folks after some input, I currently own a Bmw Sertao. Its a great bike for on and off road, but I only way 60kg so its a bit of a lump to chuck about. Thinking of selling and getting something that is lighter, still with a good fuel size tank and fun on and off road. Bmw is worth about $7000 to $8000, so don't wish to spend more preferably less.

Thanks Leoagogo
    That’s the million dollar question unfortunately, there’s no easy answer. I’ve owned a dr650, a registered drz400, xt600 and have now settled on a wr250r. The Dr650se is still a heavy bike, great engine with a pipe and carb work but suspension needs a lot of work to be fully capable.

The drz is a 5 speed close knit gear box, I was forever changing sprockets to do on road/ off road riding.

My wr250r has full fmf header pipe muffler and power commander, and rotopax fuel storage for longer range. Is a fuel injected 6 speed modern engine. I think it’s easily as quick as my drz was, but it needs to be revved. It has long service intervals, fully adjustable suspension that works great and will do 100-110 easily. I’ve settled on that for a while, love how capable off road it is and it’s great on back country roads. But I do miss the torque of a bigger engine.

Bike
    blackbird,africa twin,xt600,xt 600tenere
    KTM 690 covers all the bases. Light powerful and top suspension. Has a few issues but from 2012 onwards a better bike.

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure

KTM 640e

Thanks Leoagogo

Got a very tidy KTM 640e for sale at present....Not advertised but it is for sale.
    23,000km on the clock and as i said, very tidy and no staining on the pipes or exhaust.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    The BMW Sertao dry weight is 176kg (wet weight is 191kg). There are plenty of adventure bikes that are heavier, in fact most adventure bikes are heavier. I think you want a dual sport bike that you can use for adventure riding. The WR250r is about 50kg lighter with a dry weight of 126kg - may be worth looking at one of those? The 2018 CRF250R has a dry weight of 108kg, but that is probably out of your price range. If you google search a bike with "bikename specs" you should be able to find the weight of any bike you are considering.

Are you extremely slim or are you a bit short? You might need to consider the seat height if you are short. There are plenty of 250cc - 400cc bikes that are fairly light, but you might need to look at how tall they are.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I notice their is a pretty wee TS 185 for sale in the trader section.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information