Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Non fling chain lube

Bike
    Tuono 660, Suzuki SV650 racebike
    May as well throw my 10 cents worth in here, gleaned from 35 odd years of riding on the road and trying a myriad (big word for a friday that) of products.

Basically I have settled on two spray products, both mentioned here previously:

Belray super clean. This has been my go to for the last 10 years or so and the bonus is they also do a little 175ml can that I can tuck under my pillion seat when I'm on tour.

Total. A racer friend of mine is sponsored by a Total Lubricant distributor so I've been given some free product the last couple of years. Equally as good as the Belray IMO

Having said all of that I have riding buddies who swear by 80/90 gear oil and I was dubious of this but... I recently watched this fortnine shootout of chain lubes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnPYdcbcAe0
    The presenter is highly annoying but if you get past that then it is of interest. Basically the gear oil is right up there with the best of the sprays.

Food for thought.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern scratcher View Post
    Total. A racer friend of mine is sponsored by a Total Lubricant distributor so I've been given some free product the last couple of years. Equally as good as the Belray IMO
    I thought it was great as a lubricant, but still pretty messy. Even the distributor didn't rate it when selling it to me and preferred other products.

Having said all of that I have riding buddies who swear by 80/90 gear oil and I was dubious of this but... I recently watched this fortnine shootout of chain lubes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnPYdcbcAe0

The presenter is highly annoying but if you get past that then it is of interest. Basically the gear oil is right up there with the best of the sprays.

Food for thought.
    Bought some gear oil after watching that video and even got a new oil can. Worst chain lube I've ever used. Difficult and messy to apply. Leaves a dry black film on wheel, much like CRC's Tac2. Didn't last, needing to be re-lubed repeatedly and caused tights spots on the chain.
    I've since gone on to try Putoline dry chain lube (PTFE) and I'm much happier with that. Sprays like CRC 5.56 so gets in. Actually dries and tight spots in chain have disappeared. Rear wheel remains fairly clean too.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I thought it was great as a lubricant, but still pretty messy. Even the distributor didn't rate it when selling it to me and preferred other products.

Bought some gear oil after watching that video and even got a new oil can. Worst chain lube I've ever used. Difficult and messy to apply. Leaves a dry black film on wheel, much like CRC's Tac2. Didn't last, needing to be re-lubed repeatedly and caused tights spots on the chain.
    My chain isn't the best after a couple of months of gear oil. Some of the links felt tight when I took the rear wheel off recently, and there's a new noise which seems to be road speed dependent. Seems the oil may have affected the O-rings or whatever letter they are now.

It seems a bit better after going back to the usual Du Pont stuff. Hoping it will be OK.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I'll just keep spraying the Castrol stuff on and wiping stuff with kerosene rag. Front sprocket area does need a clean out though.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I'll just keep spraying the Castrol stuff on and wiping stuff with kerosene rag. Front sprocket area does need a clean out though.
    Pretty much exactly where I'm at until the Castrol runs out.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Sold
    Go to page 4 and 5 of the attached newsletter for a write-up and photos of the Grease Ninja. I recently bought one and am pretty impressed with this simple device for applying aerosol lube evenly and quickly. Doesn't always need to be a complicated solution. It's particularly good for my KTM as the bottom chain run is close to the swingarm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNI Newsletter November 2019.pdf  

Bike
    Tuono 660, Suzuki SV650 racebike
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Go to page 4 and 5 of the attached newsletter for a write-up and photos of the Grease Ninja. I recently bought one and am pretty impressed with this simple device for applying aerosol lube evenly and quickly. Doesn't always need to be a complicated solution. It's particularly good for my KTM as the bottom chain run is close to the swingarm.
    Thanks for the link , I've just ordered one. Cost $29.50 NZD to get to NZ Post YouShop warehouse in Oregon.

Bike
    Sold
    Thanks for the link , I've just ordered one. Cost $29.50 NZD to get to NZ Post YouShop warehouse in Oregon.
    Hope you enjoy it. For me, the one-handed operation whilst spinning the back wheel makes it all worthwhile. I still put an ice cream container lid on the floor just in front of the rear spocket just to catch any minor drip but to be honest, it's only a precaution.

Bike
    2001 Yamaha R6 (from new)
    Ⅰ use chainsaw oil for the total-loss chain lube system I have on my R6. It's sticky and resists getting flung off. The trick is to keep the flow rate to a minimum so that the port side of your rear tire sidewall doesn't get coated in oil.
    Shit doesn't just happen; there's usually an arsehole involved.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odakyu-sen View Post
    Ⅰ use chainsaw oil for the total-loss chain lube system I have on my R6. It's sticky and resists getting flung off. The trick is to keep the flow rate to a minimum so that the port side of your rear tire sidewall doesn't get coated in oil.
    That's what I used to use when I had a Scott Oiler. $22 / 4ltr.

Perfick.

Thinking about it. It would probably work well off a toothbrush. Bit of a faff, but.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Grease Ninja.
    Just bought one.

Really just needed an excuse to use up my PayPal balance. Good thing I like tools though.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Just bought one.

Really just needed an excuse to use up my PayPal balance. Good thing I like tools though.
    Good stuff! I love tools too. Just splashed out on a really good Makita battery drill. Makes my 20 year old Black and Dekker look like a kid's toy - massive torque .

Thread Information