Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: Non fling chain lube

  1. #1
    Join Date
    2nd March 2018 - 15:32
    Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    132

    Non fling chain lube

    These are both a fail. The Castrol is useless - most ends up on the back wheel, not the chain. The Penrite 10 Tenths is better, but still gets on the wheel.

    I'm trying to find something to use in winter when the roads are wet. My normal chain lube is some magical Du Pont stuff that never leaves marks on the wheel, but doesn't stop rust if the chain gets wet.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    10th June 2008 - 15:44
    Bike
    1340
    Location
    CH-CH
    Posts
    923
    Whats the Du Pont stuff and where do you get it ?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    2nd March 2018 - 15:32
    Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    132
    DuPont Teflon Multi-use Dry, Wax Lubricant. Repco used to sell it, but I haven't seen it there for a while.
    .

  4. #4
    Join Date
    22nd October 2002 - 11:00
    Bike
    2015 GSX-S 1000
    Location
    Coromandel Harbour
    Posts
    3,931
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    DuPont Teflon Multi-use Dry, Wax Lubricant. Repco used to sell it, but I haven't seen it there for a while.
    .
    I still have a can for general domestic use but I gather that DuPont withdrew it 2 or 3 years ago. There was some talk that the propellant or some other component adversely affected o rings. I used it for several years. I've used Maxima Teflon since then or one of the other Teflon products if I can't get Maxima. Lube every 500 km or so. Changed the chain and sprockets on my Street Triple at 60,000 km. The GSX-S 1000 has done 40,000 km and the chain and sprockets are still in great nick.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    2nd March 2018 - 15:32
    Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    132
    I've used it for years and the chain and sprockets on my bikes have lasted very well. Dirt just doesn't stick, and I usually clean the chain once or twice a year.

    I'm on the last can now so will need to find a replacement. Thanks for the feedback on the Maxima lube.

    The Penrite lube seems to stay on the chain well, but there are white spots all over the wheel. And I didn't even go that fast yesterday.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    14th June 2007 - 22:39
    Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Location
    Pigs back.
    Posts
    4,531
    Wurth keeps popping up on overseas forums as recommended. Not sure if it's available in unzud. They used to do a graphite based lube which was pretty good.
    Manopausal.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    14th July 2006 - 21:39
    Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    8,345
    Blog Entries
    8
    Bell Ray Super Clean Chain Lube

    It's excellent stuff.

    Heck I even use their chain cleaner (reminds himself to do that today as the weather looks shit).

    Use as directed and it will not fling off. Spray on and leave ten minutes to set before riding.

    http://www.belray.com/bel-ray-super-clean-chain-lube

    http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/product...hain_lube.aspx

  8. #8
    Join Date
    10th June 2008 - 15:44
    Bike
    1340
    Location
    CH-CH
    Posts
    923
    Great info update on this topic

  9. #9
    Join Date
    22nd October 2002 - 11:00
    Bike
    2015 GSX-S 1000
    Location
    Coromandel Harbour
    Posts
    3,931
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I've used it for years and the chain and sprockets on my bikes have lasted very well. Dirt just doesn't stick, and I usually clean the chain once or twice a year.

    I'm on the last can now so will need to find a replacement. Thanks for the feedback on the Maxima lube.
    If you can't find Maxima, the other one I like is Tirox. Pretty much the same properties as Maxima. Doesn't fling and keeps the chain spotless. Only clean mine about once a year too. I'm with you on Castrol products. Bought a can of Castrol O-R chain spray. Despite it saying non-fling on the can, it covered the back of the bike. Just use it on the boat trailer suspension now c

  10. #10
    Join Date
    14th June 2007 - 22:39
    Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Location
    Pigs back.
    Posts
    4,531
    For what it's worth, heh. I have a can of castrol at the mo, Warehouse's finest, and it does dribble everywhere but I always run my chain through some scrunched up plastic carrier bag after lubing. This removes the excess and distributes lube evenly over the chain. I get very little fling off it and my chain seems happy.
    Manopausal.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    20th January 2010 - 14:41
    Bike
    husaberg
    Location
    The Wild Wild West
    Posts
    8,682
    Total

    it used to be called something else more famous ELF
    But its the best stuff i have ever used.
    I have used castrol, belray, PJ ,rock oil maxima and lots of others.
    But Total is different it goes on very wet but dries solid. so it penetrates but doesn't fling off.
    It has a solvent that dries very quick, but dont use it until it dries to a waxy surface.
    Best stuff i ever used for MX bike in sand.

    http://oilintel.co.nz/our-products/c...rcycle-chains/
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I have a recurring dream where a gay guy is fucking....
    Is that weird or what?


    Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

  12. #12
    Join Date
    2nd March 2018 - 15:32
    Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Total

    it used to be called something else more famous ELF
    But its the best stuff i have ever used.
    I have used castrol, belray, PJ ,rock oil maxima and lots of others.
    But Total is different it goes on very wet but dries solid. so it penetrates but doesn't fling off.
    It has a solvent that dries very quick, but dont use it until it dries to a waxy surface.
    Best stuff i ever used for MX bike in sand.

    http://oilintel.co.nz/our-products/c...rcycle-chains/
    Thanks, sounds similar to the DuPont stuff I'm using. I'll try some.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    3rd November 2007 - 07:46
    Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    3,799
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Total
    Where do you find that and what's the cost?
    Nunquam Non Paratus

  14. #14
    Join Date
    24th April 2014 - 09:16
    Bike
    2016 Yamaha XSR900
    Location
    Russell
    Posts
    326
    The website shows where to buy dependant on where you live.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    20th January 2010 - 14:41
    Bike
    husaberg
    Location
    The Wild Wild West
    Posts
    8,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Where do you find that and what's the cost?
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    The website shows where to buy dependant on where you live.
    Yip
    http://oilintel.co.nz/contact/

    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Thanks, sounds similar to the DuPont stuff I'm using. I'll try some.
    Might well be as they are both French.
    Dupoint might be far easier to get as its sold at Repco or it was.
    Looking at the spec its a teflon based product not sure what the Total one is, as its all written in Froggy.
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...lable-at-Repco
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I have a recurring dream where a gay guy is fucking....
    Is that weird or what?


    Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •