Thread: FXR150 lights flickering off

Bike
    Fxr150

FXR150 lights flickering off

My fxr150 has a problem with the lights flickering off when I give it revs. When it idles its fine. Holding down push to pass highbeam works fine when riding but not with just normal light switch on highbeam. All lights flicker off inc dash, but brakes light comes on when using the brakes and indicator works fine.

Battery is 12.6 off and 14.4 when running. Can hear the relay clicking when the lights flicker off.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    2 weeks on hope you've solved it.

I'd strip all the connectors to the dash and lights and clean them up. Getting into female connectors takes a probie tool of some sort. So a bit like teenage years.

The bulb connectors are prone to corrosion and will require a good clean up.

The ignition switch could require a good clean out with brake clean etc.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Fxr150
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    2 weeks on hope you've solved it.

I'd strip all the connectors to the dash and lights and clean them up. Getting into female connectors takes a probie tool of some sort. So a bit like teenage years.

The bulb connectors are prone to corrosion and will require a good clean up.

The ignition switch could require a good clean out with brake clean etc.

I redid some of the connections and for the most part it seems to have fixed it. Still get the odd times where the lights will die but a press on the push to pass and they come back on. Best ill be getting without stripping all connections.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    That might be enough to scrape through a WOF if you're lucky ... but might not be enough to scrape through a nighttime trip. The odd flicker you'll survive ... but if it packs up completely, at the worst possible time, who knows?

Keep at it. You're making progress.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugmuffin View Post
    My fxr150 has a problem with the lights flickering off when I give it revs. When it idles its fine. Holding down push to pass highbeam works fine when riding but not with just normal light switch on highbeam. All lights flicker off inc dash, but brakes light comes on when using the brakes and indicator works fine.

Battery is 12.6 off and 14.4 when running. Can hear the relay clicking when the lights flicker off.
    Check all the Earth's (from the battery earth on) you can find. But sounds more like an issue that appears with vibration (steady random wiring loom parts with your hand). Check fuses and fuse mountings for any electrical part associated with your problems ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Fxr150
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    That might be enough to scrape through a WOF if you're lucky ... but might not be enough to scrape through a nighttime trip. The odd flicker you'll survive ... but if it packs up completely, at the worst possible time, who knows?

Keep at it. You're making progress.
    Got a WOF till next year so no worries ahahah. Ive been commuting with it day and night. Not a hassle to just press a button but I seem to find it cuts out when I stay low in the RPMs. Motorway trips its 100% always on. Could be alternator or something along those lines. Ill probably come around to looking into it again later but for now im looking to get a gn250 carby ahaha.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugmuffin View Post
    ... Ill probably come around to looking into it again later but for now im looking to get a gn250 carby ahaha.
    Buying a GN in installments ... that's original ..
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Fxr150
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Check all the Earth's (from the battery earth on) you can find. But sounds more like an issue that appears with vibration (steady random wiring loom parts with your hand). Check fuses and fuse mountings for any electrical part associated with your problems ...
    Yeah it was an absolute nightmare when I first got the bike. Lights cut out all the time. I went through most of the wiring one night and redid some connections , cleaned the earths that I could find and recovered most of the electrical tapes. Unplugged all the main electrical bits and checked if they were dirty and then ziptied the wiring tight. Shes doing alright now. Odd flicker and sometimes cuts out if im dawdling at low rpms.

Bike
    Fxr150
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Buying a GN in installments ... that's original ..
    Oh ive been looking. Something to mess around with and turn it the usual cafe style look But I was meaning a Carburetor from a gn250 to get a little more go since I might end up turning this thing into a bucket when I upgrade.

Thread Information