Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting gear dry?

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    A couple of thoughts... depending on how much space you have above the cylinder, put a couple of strong hooks in the ceiling of the cupboard to hang your gear. Also, if your HWC is too warm inside, just how good is the insulation on the cylinder? The second thought may ruin the first...
    Shelves going up shortly

Possible renovation soon (next year or so) at which time the cylinder may get upgraded. Happy with it as is.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    (if you upgrade the cylinder, i.e. install a new one, then you will no longer have an airing cupboard: new cylinders have much better insulation and don't leak enough heat to dry anything much. Which is better for your power bill
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by HEsch View Post
    I think both the drier and the HWC cupboard will negate the need for running cords across my apartment into the bathroom to power the dehumidifier in there.
    cord(S), like is it an industrial machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Really shit, rainy weather I use the ReVit outer waterproofs. I gave up on "technical" trousers as they love to leak, regardless of promises of water tightness.
    Jackets are the same after a period of time.
    The bastards will still refuse to stock products here in NZ, forcing the customer to seek overseas supply.
    I've tried to source items here first, but always ended up with "we don't import that into NZ" even though they are the company representative/dealer for NZ.
    agree about technical garments, most are limited to being shower proof, but they can dry out quite quickly.
    and
    i do try and source stuff locally first too

HWC is a great 'tool'. I got slightly damp coming back from work last night so threw stuff in the cupboard haphazardly. It was practically toasted this morning when I suited up - *slightly* warm to the touch which is a huge improvement on wondering "is this dry or still cold/wet?".
    Warm to touch, warm or hot suggest checking thermostat setting
    the place I rented, the landlord got the plumber to check the HWC turned it down to 55 (bath safety)from 65
    bloody hard to get grease off plates after that

Shelves going up shortly

Possible renovation soon (next year or so) at which time the cylinder may get upgraded. Happy with it as is.
    FWIW i am still not convinced about long term gas HW supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    (if you upgrade the cylinder, i.e. install a new one, then you will no longer have an airing cupboard: new cylinders have much better insulation and don't leak enough heat to dry anything much. Which is better for your power bill
    true I replaced one a couple of years back, with an enamel lined one.
    not convinced plumber has it right as if left for a while the hot water bursts out of any tap etc.
    but the temp and supply is much better

and the elephant in the room is, buy a second set of gear.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    cord(S), like is it an industrial machine?
    No, just no power socket in the bathroom, so I'd need to run something across the apartment from another socket to run the dehumidifier in there. Not that I'm going to do that, I have a drier, and now I know that goretex can go in the drier, that'll be the go.

Warm to touch, warm or hot suggest checking thermostat setting
    "slightly" ie not cold/damp ie the HWC achieved what it needed to.
    No issues with power bill or overheated hot water. I'm the landlord/owner.

FWIW i am still not convinced about long term gas HW supply.
    Won't be going gas if cylinder is changed.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    keep a bunch of sacrificial dry cotton rags stashed, use these to draw out moisture.

Its what I would dow ith my camera gear when doing storm pics/vids in cage. As well as wiping down and running aircon (dehumidify) I'd have them wrapped in clean super dry rags loosely.....

I have small cheap Dehumudifier and its quiet as, ocassiovnally use in small room with clothes airer when desperate for clean clothes lol
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Ducati 944
    I was in Lynn Mall a few weeks ago and in the store opposite countdown that does all this deal stuff they had this:

https://yaoota.com/en-ng/product/uni...-jumia-nigeria

My sister-in-law has one and says its excellent. Could do the job for you.
    Motorcycle songlist:
    Best blast soundtrack:Born to be wild (Steppenwolf)
    Best sunny ride: Runnin' down a dream (Tom Petty)
    Don't want to hear ...: Slip, slidin' away, Caught by the Fuzz or Bam Thwok!(Paul Simon/Supergrass/The Pixies)

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    So insulate the cupboard, not the cylinder. Easy peasy.

Or get an over-sized evacuated tube solar water heater thing to cook the whole house on a winter's day.

Boil oodles of water in the summer for lashings of tea and steam-powered turbine generators to charge the electric chariot.

Thread Information