Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drum Brake Arcing

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I cant remember getting a pic but you said they were a different diameter plus they were side mounted mudguard. The TZR250 1KT ones are 39mm and have top mounts and provision for 320mm discs.
    I think the ones you described were early FZR ones with 280mm discs
    the only ones that i know of that had the 320mm discs were the first TZR250 a couple of Japanese market SRX's the TDR250 and the OW01 and the FZR1000 (early) and i think a japanese model FZR750 and maybe a higher spec TRX850 that we never got. the FZR1000 forks and the rest are 41mm or maybe even bigger.
    The early FZR250 2kr has the 320mm disc with 36mm forks as does a couple of other SRX's
    plus i think the late FZX250 Zeal has the 38mm forks and the 320mm disc either of these would be okay also.
    My FZR750 had 320mm disks. But 41mm forks.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Probably just had stronger hands back then Paul.

Or 'Provokers'
    Bigger balls and slippery roads... I remember having a front wheel skid competition with my make coming down Dyers Pass road... Got to the bottom and the paint on the hub caught fire... Hmmm....

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    ... Got to the bottom and the paint on the hub caught fire... Hmmm....
    I did that in a rental truck once. Going through national park.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Bigger balls and slippery roads... I remember having a front wheel skid competition with my make coming down Dyers Pass road... Got to the bottom and the paint on the hub caught fire... Hmmm....
    Over a period of about a month, I went through every lining on the market in the front of the Mach 3. The test was - up Dyers Pass to the Sign of the Kiwi and back down to work in Colombo St - hard. If I had a front brake left after that it was suitable for racing.

Only one lining ever managed it - an American Raybestos industrial lining - probably solid asbestos...

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Over a period of about a month, I went through every lining on the market in the front of the Mach 3. The test was - up Dyers Pass to the Sign of the Kiwi and back down to work in Colombo St - hard. If I had a front brake left after that it was suitable for racing.

Only one lining ever managed it - an American Raybestos industrial lining - probably solid asbestos...
    I remember you writing about that one as used on the maniporri cableway.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    My FZR750 had 320mm disks. But 41mm forks.
    Those arent the ones you have though are they? as they would have had top mounted mudguard.
    ps they were on the list although only i thought they were only imports
    One i did leave off the list was TZ250 only one model though i think, around 86 or so maybe. Also maybe likely a TZ125 or two as well I am not that familar with a lot of Yamaha stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    The real answer is yes - yes it is worth it...

I had a problem with the rear drum on the Trophy. New shoes just made it worse. The brake hardly worked, most of the adjustment was used up, the lever was at the wrong angle etc etc etc. Eventually I realised that the ‘new’ shoes had a metric sized material which was a smidgeon under the originally imperial one. Considering the drums 50 years old and has seen a fair few miles its little wonder it wasn’t flash.

So – took the whole thing in and the brake shop put oversized linings on the shoes and machined them to fit the drum. Now much much better.

Remember though back in the day these bikes used asbestos linings and the modern stuff isn’t quite so good… Originally I could lock up the front on those brakes (with provocation) after fitting proper linings…

ALSO check that you have the correct handlebar lever. There are 2 types with different distances from pivot to cable end to suit Norton or triumph. Get the wrong one and your brakes rubbish…
    I missed this with all the background Jap Yap noise...

I eventually found some new Ferodo ones and took them down to the Brake Shop, he looked at them and dismissed them as "too thin", so after some searching pulled a set of rears off my shelf T110 as the pre unit rears are same as half width 7" ones.
    Dropped them off and await the result.
    I initially pulled the front apart as I thought the wheels bearings were knackered but turns out the DIY axle spacer is a few thou less than the 20mm wheel bearing. Surprised that Triumph wheel bearings are metric.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    They were probably supposed to be imperial,but with 3rd world production tolerances
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Exercycle
    They were probably supposed to be imperial,but with 3rd world production tolerances
    Nah - it's supply side economics. The continental bearing factories were cheaper than UK made. I found the same in a 1920's Douglas gearbox - metric bearings.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    I missed this with all the background Jap Yap noise...

I eventually found some new Ferodo ones and took them down to the Brake Shop, he looked at them and dismissed them as "too thin", so after some searching pulled a set of rears off my shelf T110 as the pre unit rears are same as half width 7" ones.
    Dropped them off and await the result.
    I initially pulled the front apart as I thought the wheels bearings were knackered but turns out the DIY axle spacer is a few thou less than the 20mm wheel bearing. Surprised that Triumph wheel bearings are metric.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Nah - it's supply side economics. The continental bearing factories were cheaper than UK made. I found the same in a 1920's Douglas gearbox - metric bearings.
    Interesting i had a countershaft seal fail when my son had a CRF50
    I ordered the seal twice the second time I confirmed the fiche number myself neither seal fitted as they were clearly to small on the od
    Afterwards on the third fail i went to the local spares shop it turns out the seal was imperial rather than the metric size the parts fiche said.
    I wondered at the time if Honda had subcontracted the CRF engines out to the Chinese?
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    I recall many years ago when I was an apprentice and for 6 months I was working with a guy who was big into vintage cars.
    He told me a story about early Ford bearings only being available from Ford as they were a special size.
    Turns out they were metric.
    Did a Google search today whilst on the train into Auckland that you helped pay for, and turns out a lot of bearings were metric even 100 years ago.
    Nice relaxed trip from Penrose to Britomart, one less vehicle on the road and I can text, read, update to my hearts content and only $3.50.
    Probably have a beer on way home so can drink and ride and text.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    I recall many years ago when I was an apprentice and for 6 months I was working with a guy who was big into vintage cars.
    He told me a story about early Ford bearings only being available from Ford as they were a special size.
    Turns out they were metric.
    Did a Google search today whilst on the train into Auckland that you helped pay for, and turns out a lot of bearings were metric even 100 years ago.
    Nice relaxed trip from Penrose to Britomart, one less vehicle on the road and I can text, read, update to my hearts content and only $3.50.
    Probably have a beer on way home so can drink and ride and text.
    From what I understand most of the bearings were made in Germany and Zee Germans are metric from long long ago.
    The French have been using it since 1795.....
    Germany 1872.
    The poms were meant to be in the early 70's but progress was a little slow.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    I remember you writing about that one as used on the maniporri cableway.

Those arent the ones you have though are they? as they would have had top mounted mudguard.
    ps they were on the list although only i thought they were only imports
    One i did leave off the list was TZ250 only one model though i think, around 86 or so maybe. Also maybe likely a TZ125 or two as well I am not that familar with a lot of Yamaha stuff.
    TZ250 84/85 were mounts for 300mm disc side mount mudguard, and 40mm. 86-88 were same but 320mm disc mount (mounts both sides, 86-87 had one 320mm disc, the 88 had twin282mm discs and adaptor plates to make the calipers fit). 89 stayed 40mm, went to new sliders for 282mm discs an cartridge dampening internals. ALL are incredibly short only about 695mm long. They are also bloody expensive to buy and only two other bikes I know have 40mm forks. Vmax and GPZ1000RX!!!

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    TZ250 84/85 were mounts for 300mm disc side mount mudguard, and 40mm. 86-88 were same but 320mm disc mount (mounts both sides, 86-87 had one 320mm disc, the 88 had twin282mm discs and adaptor plates to make the calipers fit). 89 stayed 40mm, went to new sliders for 282mm discs an cartridge dampening internals. ALL are incredibly short only about 695mm long. They are also bloody expensive to buy and only two other bikes I know have 40mm forks. Vmax and GPZ1000RX!!!
    40mm forks
    40 Kawasaki KZ-1000E1/E2 "ST/Shaft" (79-80)
    40 Kawasaki ZX-1000A1/A2 "Ninja" (86-87)
    40 Yamaha VMX-12 N/NC/S/SC/U/UC/W/WC/A/AC/B/BC/D/DC (85-92)
    40 Yamaha XVZ-12 DL/DKC2 "Venture Royale" (84)
    40 Yamaha XVZ-12 DN "Venture Royale" (85)
    40 Yamaha XVZ-13 T/TC/U/UC "Venture" (87-88),
    40 Yamaha XVZ-13 DS/DSC/DT/DTC/DU/DUC/DW/DWC "Venture Royale" (86-89)
    40 Yamaha XVZ-13 DA/DAC/DB/DBC/DD/DDCDE/DEC "Venture Royale" (90-93)

I missed the Seca 2 and the diversion that had 320mm discs as well
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    40mm forks
    40 Kawasaki KZ-1000E1/E2 "ST/Shaft" (79-80)
    40 Kawasaki ZX-1000A1/A2 "Ninja" (86-87)
    40 Yamaha VMX-12 N/NC/S/SC/U/UC/W/WC/A/AC/B/BC/D/DC (85-92)
    40 Yamaha XVZ-12 DL/DKC2 "Venture Royale" (84)
    40 Yamaha XVZ-12 DN "Venture Royale" (85)
    40 Yamaha XVZ-13 T/TC/U/UC "Venture" (87-88),
    40 Yamaha XVZ-13 DS/DSC/DT/DTC/DU/DUC/DW/DWC "Venture Royale" (86-89)
    40 Yamaha XVZ-13 DA/DAC/DB/DBC/DD/DDCDE/DEC "Venture Royale" (90-93)

I missed the Seca 2 and the diversion that had 320mm discs as well
    I have a pair of brand new Vmax chrome legs if any one wants them. New aftermarket ones. !

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    I have a pair of brand new Vmax chrome legs if any one wants them. New aftermarket ones. !
    I thought the max legs would be far thicker walled than the TZ ones?
    Actually all of them would be i guess.
    I reminder distinctly .

Thread Information