Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: New Biker Needs Help

Bike
    2018 Moto Guzzi V9
    I commute in textile gear as it resists rain better than leather. I wear the bike gear over my work clothes. it has removable thermal & wet weather layers so in summer can give plenty of ventilation. I also have a set of wet weather gear (2 piece) if the rain is heavy or it is cold (less than 5 deg). only very expensive gear is completely waterproof hence the oversuit. you do not want to get to work with wet balls.
    also I recommend that you practice braking, as hard as possible, could save a trip to A & E.
    tires are very important. if in doubt get new ones. old tires can get hard even if not worn right down & therefore get slippery in the wet.
    the best training is one on one but it costs.
    dont try & keep up if you are not comfortable with the pace, the group will wait (if they dont you need to find another group)

as I believe has been said already there is a lot of experiance here but if you annoy someone you will cop abuse. think before you post. if you ignore advise you will not get any sympathy.

saying that help can be given if the request is not just stupid. we all started as noobs and have developed solutions to most problems.
    SIGN HERE X

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    It's like watching a train wreck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    What a soft cock, who wears pants when posting on facebook?

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    https://www.motomail.co.nz/estore/st...jkvoltiac.aspx

Good brand, good gear, good price. Motomail has some other quality pants and pants as well.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dharmbir View Post
    It is cheap. But good. You shouldn't need the bladder pack for a while yet.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    bandit
    before today i was after a leather jacket but after riding today on 70kph i dont think leather can protect shet hahaha seller was in jacket/armor with cups on shoulders elbows, maybe because he rode northshore to manukau on 100kph
    Yeah - that's why MotoGP riders wear leather ..

Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post
    You're right. Leather is pointless and overpriced. That's why MotoGP and WSBK racers all wear street wear with armour 'cups' on their shoulders and elbows
    Exactly ..

These days, a decent textile jacket is just as 'safe' as a half decent leather jacket.. But the difference as far as I can tell is Textile gear saves your skin in ONE fall where as leather has a bit more staying power.
    yeah - I've gone down the road about 11 times ... 10 in leathers .. walked away from every one (occassionally limped away ...) and reused the leathers. My current leathers look a little beaten up ..

One low speed crash (under 10ks) in textiles .. no problem at all.

I'd go with leathers ever time.
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    To the OP...

you've been given a lot of advice about gear, some is objective, some is subjective - that's the nature of the beast when you ask for opinions and recommendations.

A couple of other places to look for, relatively, objective reviews of gear are:

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/product-reviews/

and

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcy...thing-reviews/

You need to now consider what you want in the way of gear and do some research and make a short list and then look round for what you can afford to buy. Don't come back asking should I but this or that... that's not the question now. The question might be, I am considering brand-x, does anyone have any experience with it?

Get some good-as-you-can-afford gear and then get some practise on the bike then go and do a couple of the RideForever courses, like urban rider and bronze. Then get sorted to do the CBTA for your restricted licence.

Bike
    Ninja EX250 2008
    ok ok im sure you are all getting tired here ,i am too . last question at least for jackets i have 2 options Oxford or Rjays

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=1719770341

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=1727044708

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)
    ok ok im sure you are all getting tired here ,i am too . last question at least for jackets i have 2 options Oxford or Rjays

If you go for the Oxford, you need to replace the cheap foam back pad with a CE armor pad. I've heard RJays is cheap, but value for money. The Oxford jacket is reduced so may be a better deal. If you're planning to be out in all weather the oxford sounds like it offers better weather protection.
    Just be aware that jacket fitment varies across brands and a Large might be a very snug fit if you wear heavy layers underneath like a hoodie.

Bike
    Ducati 748R

my first was a rev'it jacket, i came off twice in that thing and it saved me both times.. i still have it, if you are interested to see what a spill looks like in textile gear i can take some pictures. i wish i still had the gloves they had carbon knuckles that where all smashed in (probably saved my hand from being crushed).

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    WP_20180809_20_40_52_Pro
    WP_20180809_20_39_29_Pro
    WP_20180809_20_40_07_Pro

thought it may be useful.. this was about 80KM around a bend slid maybe 20m into a ditch, the jacket ripped resulting in road rash down my arms. i now wear a 2 piece leather suit.
    something i would recommend is get some gear that zips together, just in case you have an off the jacket doesn't slide up your back.

Bike
    Ninja EX250 2008
    im getting oxford jacket for now and pants next month ,why choose lather if textile protected you twice?

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    im getting oxford jacket for now and pants next month ,why choose lather if textile protected you twice?
    Either you pay once or pay in smaller chunks multiple times. Either way, protection costs money.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Remember ... if you are in an accident and suffer broken bones or a dislocation ... the ambo crew will usually cut your jacket/trousers off to give aid quicker. They may ask if that is ok (taking a jacket off with a broken arm HURTS). If in your case you are bleeding heavily ... they wont ask. Some nice ones cut at the seams so it can be repaired. Some ... have little time/consideration for accident prone idiots that are known as motorcyclists.

Try to get you gear included with your motorcycle insurance. Or get separate insurance.

But ... it is more economical (and less painful) to not crash ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Remember ... if you are in an accident and suffer broken bones or a dislocation ... the ambo crew will usually cut your jacket/trousers off to give aid quicker. They may ask if that is ok (taking a jacket off with a broken arm HURTS). If in your case you are bleeding heavily ... they wont ask. Some nice ones cut at the seams so it can be repaired. Some ... have little time/consideration for accident prone idiots that are known as motorcyclists.

Try to get you gear included with your motorcycle insurance. Or get separate insurance.

But ... it is more economical (and less painful) to not crash ...
    What this man said is true, I cant remember now but I am pretty sure my gear Is coverd under contents insurance?

Have you looked at sportbiketrackgear.com? Good gear at reasonable prices that's where I got my leathers after trying them on in a shop.. Under half price.

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by layton View Post

thought it may be useful.. this was about 80KM around a bend slid maybe 20m into a ditch, the jacket ripped resulting in road rash down my arms. i now wear a 2 piece leather suit.
    something i would recommend is get some gear that zips together, just in case you have an off the jacket doesn't slide up your back.

Yes - exactly.

I do have armoured textiles as well - pants and jacket (I commute in Draggin' jeans and textile jacket - sorry - I earn enough to afford all the gear ... ) I can remove the inners in both pants and jacket - and I wear them over my leathers when it rains ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Ninja EX250 2008
    my jacket just arrived ..i feel like a superman in it

Thread Information