Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: New Biker Needs Help

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dharmbir View Post
    why you gotta be like this grandbra we just "conversating" ,not sure if thats a real word
    Because he's come across plenty of "know it all" kids before ... face to face ... and in these forums.

Hint ... you don't get old and wise ... through luck alone.

And don't think you're the first to ask these questions ... nor the first to go through the learner license process.

Your being able to afford to buy what you want/decide ... doesn't impress us at all. Us oldies have seen dozens of kids with the same ideas you have. We don't remember them all (old age causes that) ... but we remember the end results ...

Take your own route if you choose ... and the best of luck.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    i am not a speed junkie so i know for sure i will never go anywhere near 1200, i just want something shinny later on but for now im just looking for anything cheap to commute
    I'm not a speed junkie ... I've never been over 220 km/hr ... (on a closed and private road of course) ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    70k kms scares me bike and price i like it
    They do it easy.

Look on trademe at bikes 400cc to 650cc. Lams go up to 659cc ... surprise yourself at the bikes on offer.

Bike
    Ninja EX250 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Because he's come across plenty of "know it all" kids before ... face to face ... and in these forums.

Hint ... you don't get old and wise ... through luck alone.

And don't think you're the first to ask these questions ... nor the first to go through the learner license process.

Your being able to afford to buy what you want/decide ... doesn't impress us at all. Us oldies have seen dozens of kids with the same ideas you have. We don't remember them all (old age causes that) ... but we remember the end results ...

Take your own route if you choose ... and the best of luck.
    i really meant no disrespect to anyone on this forum taking their own time to help a noobie out , i guess i wasnt ready for bikers wisdom, honda hornet person said $3k so i will try test ride it in a week and try my best to forget about the CBR300R $4k

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    i really meant no disrespect to anyone on this forum taking their own time to help a noobie out , i guess i wasnt ready for bikers wisdom, honda hornet person said $3k so i will try test ride it in a week and try my best to forget about the CBR300R $4k
    Real life can be brutal. Seldom do you get a second chance for free. Life's lessons come with a price ... often a price your bank account wont cover.

Throughout life you will make plans ... always have a Plan B ... and a Plan C.

Life will never cease to amaze you ... especially the number of times that plan A does not work ...

Good luck with your plans ...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Because we have seen it all before, like the newb that upgraded to a CBR600 then went for a slide under a logging truck.

I know of a couple of folks that are paying huge debit off due to not having insurance, lamp post I think is 5k by itself.

Oh and dont forget you need to buy the right riding gear, allow at least 1k for that.

And look up the SASS thread and go along, some of us old farts may show you a thing or two to help you live a bit longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    A bit late to this discussion but here goes...

That's actually pretty sweet. There would be a couple of gotchas though... based on my experiences so far with the 900SS and the ST2, you'd be looking at immediate replacement of the timing belts and a valve clearance check. A few other basics like oil, oil filter, air filter etc should also be expected - if there aren't service records then assume it hasn't been done. 25 K km's suggests checking chain and sprockets too - try lifting the chain off the rear sprocket with your fingers (engine off of course) and seeing how how far you get. Post 2000 Ducati's got a lot better in terms of reliability and service intervals but they're still high maintenance compared to Jappas. It looks like a wet clutch so that'd be good in terms of wear for quite a while yet.

The tank damage suggests that a handlebar has been rather close to it at some time, that in turn suggests that it's been dropped. Not hard, probably just a driveway thing, but check good and hard that everything's straight. Better yet, take it to your local friendly dealer and pay for a pre-purchase check, the guys with the knowledge could save you a lot of headaches.

The belts and valves can be done DIY if you're practical but will get spendy fast if you have to pay a guy. This is frequently the reason that Ducati's get sold around this mileage, this is the point where it goes through its first really pricey service.

All of this said, it'll sound sweet and be huge fun to ride, if it fits properly.

Bike
    Ninja EX250 2008
    The belts and valves can be done DIY if you're practical but will get spendy fast if you have to pay a guy.

All of this said, it'll sound sweet and be huge fun to ride, if it fits properly.[/QUOTE]

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...7dc4a9b7f04482

Bike
    Ninja EX250 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Because we have seen it all before, like the newb that upgraded to a CBR600 then went for a slide under a logging truck.

I know of a couple of folks that are paying huge debit off due to not having insurance, lamp post I think is 5k by itself.

Oh and dont forget you need to buy the right riding gear, allow at least 1k for that.

And look up the SASS thread and go along, some of us old farts may show you a thing or two to help you live a bit longer.
    i cant find the SASS thread through search, could you link it please

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    The belts and valves can be done DIY if you're practical but will get spendy fast if you have to pay a guy.

All of this said, it'll sound sweet and be huge fun to ride, if it fits properly.
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...7dc4a9b7f04482[/QUOTE]

Not bad at all and the price is very reasonable. It does look like it's been over on its LH side though, have a look at the muffler. And the non-original bar ends. The scrapes (if that's what they are) don't talk of high speed so you shouldn't see major damage. The photos are a bit twilight aren't they? Check the bike IRL before making any decisions and get eyes on the service records too, regardless of what's been said, not all servicing is equal and come resell time you'll want those records for the next buyer. Single disc vs twin disc (the other one had these didn't it?) does make a difference but probably not a $1200-ish difference.

Bike
    Ninja EX250 2008
    Not bad at all and the price is very reasonable. It does look like it's been over on its LH side though, have a look at the muffler. And the non-original bar ends. The scrapes (if that's what they are) don't talk of high speed so you shouldn't see major damage. The photos are a bit twilight aren't they? Check the bike IRL before making any decisions and get eyes on the service records too, regardless of what's been said, not all servicing is equal and come resell time you'll want those records for the next buyer. Single disc vs twin disc (the other one had these didn't it?) does make a difference but probably not a $1200-ish difference.[/QUOTE]

yea they asked me to come see the bike first ,as im a noobie without a learner for another 7days what is LH? i cant tell the difference on single disc vs twin disc

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    i cant find the SASS thread through search, could you link it please
    You will have to ask if they are currently running being winter and all.

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...highlight=sass
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    yea they asked me to come see the bike first ,as im a noobie without a learner for another 7days what is LH? i cant tell the difference on single disc vs twin disc[/QUOTE]

LH: Left Hand (side)

single disc vs twin disc: front disc brake rotors and calipers. Single: less unsprung mass, (sligthly) less rotational inertia, cheaper and easier to service, better handling while off the brakes. Twin: better outright sustained braking power, better handling under braking. Either will work just fine in the real world, twin discs make a huge difference in environments like the track but not really in normal, sane road riding.

It's not really a big deal on your first bike - getting the proper riding gear and doing your courses is much more important than worrying about that sort of detail right now.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    This, https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...ce8e48cb1a87ed

Wont matter if it falls over, great around town and on the open road. Look after it and it wont lose money when you sell it.
    bike is almost old as me ,no thanks
    Good on you for persevering beyond this spokes......some of us just shrugged our shoulders and tuned out

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    ... getting the proper riding gear and doing your courses is much more important than worrying about that sort of detail right now.
    +1

The above is the other half of the equation when learning to ride...

Thread Information