Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Biker Needs Help

Bike
    Ninja EX250 2008

New Biker Needs Help

Hi everyone, my first post on Kiwi Biker,glad to be here. I'm having hard time deciding what to buy for my first bike ever to commute and weekend fun, of course it has to be LAMS approved still nothing too high somewhere 150 to 300cc near $5k. As I only ridden 100cc bikes years ago and don't want something I can't handle so please help me out,here my options

1. Yamaha 150cc 2014 19k kms price $2.5k -- I think of going real cheap with this and get myself comfortable riding then change in year or so
    2. Hyosung 250cc 2012-13 2k-5k kms price near $4k -- I like this because not many kms, killer look and price is ok,Youtube reviews say its a cake mixer still ok for 1st bike
    3. Ksaki Ninja 250cc 2009-14 10k-30k kms price near $5k -- of course who doesn't like Ninja thou I'm hesitant with many kms on these and most have scratch
    4. Honda CBR250cc 2008-2015 10-30k kms price near $5k -- CBR fails to excite me with looks,nice reviews however
    5. Ksaki Ninja 300A 2015 18k kms price near $6k -- very flash I really want it but still not sure for first bike

So I hope I made some sense here also what do you prefer other then these bikes and which of these you would buy for first bike if you have very mild experience riding in past.
    Thanks for reading

Bike
    moped
    Not sure how tall or big you are, but i would go to the shops, and find either a 250 Hyo and a 250 ninja and have a sit on them, see what suits you, the Ninja is the smaller of the two. I have raced a Hyo 250 (heavier bike) and my wife has a 2008 250 Ninja set up for Touring etc and loves it, i personally would go with the Ninja, light and easy to handle, get along nicely providing you keep the rev's up, good on gas, easy maintenance, and i know lots using these for general commuting, plenty of bits for them available, have seen some good buys on these also.

Bike
    Ninja EX250 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rustys View Post
    Not sure how tall or big you are, but i would go to the shops, and find either a 250 Hyo and a 250 ninja and have a sit on them, see what suits you, the Ninja is the smaller of the two. I have raced a Hyo 250 (heavier bike) and my wife has a 2008 250 Ninja set up for Touring etc and loves it, i personally would go with the Ninja, light and easy to handle, get along nicely providing you keep the rev's up, good on gas, easy maintenance, and i know lots using these for general commuting, plenty of bits for them available, have seen some good buys on these also.
    thanks for replying . im 5.10 , yeah Hyo seems heavy and will be harder to sell when i get bored with it and ninja 250 or 300 im going for maybe yamaha r3 if i can find one with decent kms below $6k

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    Speaking as a former "Hooflung" owner (now 5 years clean, hooray for me) don't buy one. They look okay and sound alright and have a very attractive price tag but the upkeep is/can be a nightmare! Mine, in the 3 years I owned it, went through 1 stator and 3 reg/recs, and on two occasions died completely (one of which it decided to pump a heap of oil into my airbox which got sucked into the engine). Some of them go and go and go, some of them are complete lemons so I tell people to play it safe and steer clear!

In my opinion, I'd go for the Yamaha 150 if all you want to do is city commuting. If you feel the desire to do anything out of town and suburbia, I'd go for a 250/300 just to give you that little bit more versatility. Small bikes going long trips on motorways get very tedious very quickly as often you find yourself cruising at motorway speeds but your revs are quite high. My first bike was a Kawasaki GPX/EX250F (what the Ninja 250 was before it's facelift in 2009) and I found it comfy and very useable. Only downside was it was a bit small for 6ft1 of me.

That being said, that may or may not be the best advise for you. Go and sit on/ride a few and see what feels right for what you need your bike to do.
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    2009 CBR1000RR
    Go for the ninja 300, believe me, it's worth the extra, and it's certainly not too much power for a learner.

A very good one can be had for $5500.

Bike
    Ninja EX250 2008
    yea ninja 300 30th anniversary edition might be it, for $5.5 2016 10k kms, nicely done up too, only thing is the person is in lower hut Wellington and im in Manukau Auckland ,maybe ill ask if they can bring it half way lol hehe,,, Hyo GD250R X4R is going below $4k 2016 3k kms (im indian so its hard to get the cheapness out of me) anyway yamaha R3 2017 3k kms might deal $6k,again seller is in Wellington, my brother said just go with Yamaha YZF R3 2018 Movistar Limited Edition $7.5 but then im like i can just buy ninja 400 with another $500 , and the list goes on..

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    This, https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...ce8e48cb1a87ed

Wont matter if it falls over, great around town and on the open road. Look after it and it wont lose money when you sell it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Ninja EX250 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post

Wont matter if it falls over, great around town and on the open road. Look after it and it wont lose money when you sell it.
    bike is almost old as me ,no thanks

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dharmbir View Post
    Buy something cheap to start with. As a learner you wont have it long before you want something BIGGER.

Try to get something that you might get what you paid for it. Don't put "mod's" on it ... and spend only what you NEED to spend on it (fuel/oil/rego/WOF/Necessary repairs etc) to keep it on the road ... save the $$$ for when the full class 6 is achieved.

You need experience before anything else. Get that and the options you want will be clearer ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Ninja EX250 2008

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    You rude prick. Probably the best immediate option you could expect that ticked all your boxes.

In capable hands ... with a rider with more ability and experience than you currently have ... it's ability would surprise you.

For the price ... you could spend a lot more for less bike.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    The Nonda will give you evrything you ever need and still be going when it's time to trade it in, the Duc is for posers who put dollar value ahead of their needs and abilities, you'd be wise to at least go have a look at it, looks to me to be a goodún., well spotted Spokes, pity the bliinkers appear to be on.
    And they came and asked, you could be forgiven for thinking what a complete toss pot.
    Oh and welcoke along to KB, "New Biker Needs Help".
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Ninja EX250 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    You rude prick. Probably the best immediate option you could expect that ticked all your boxes.

In capable hands ... with a rider with more ability and experience than you currently have ... it's ability would surprise you.

For the price ... you could spend a lot more for less bike.
    lol hows it rude ? the bike is ancient !

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post

Put it this way - one's a Corolla and the other's a fancy exotic European...

know which I'd prefer to have as a learner's bike...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Put it this way - one's a Corolla and the other's a fancy exotic European...

know which I'd prefer to have as a learner's bike...
    I know which I'd be happier to pay repair bills on ... and as a learner rider ... a pretty good chance needing.

If he can afford an exotic European bike ... why ask our advice ... ???

Thread Information