Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Auckland fuel tax

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    My re-fuelling habits have not changed at all.

Whenever possible, fill up in Hamilton at my favourite station. This may be on my way north on Sunday, or south on Thursday/Friday, depending on mileage travelled that week.

If not possible, head for cheapest station in vicinity/on the route and only put in enough fuel to get me to my favourite station.

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    So what exactly is the go with fuel in Auckland? Last time I was there, I was trying to fly home but apparently Jetstar completely ran out of fuel and they had to cancel a fuck tonne of flights. The cabbie I had taking me into the city for an overnight stay at the Mecure was saying that there's some massive shortage? How does that even happen?

Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Don't like the prices ... ??? move to Aussie if it's so cheap there ...
    Nah don't come here, it's full of Australians.. It's pretty gross :P On a serious note, prices vary significantly here depending on where you are, and which servo' you're at and what type of fuel etc etc. Last time I was on the right side of the Tasman, I noticed a similar disparity with fuel prices.. Some places are heaps more expensive, but once I was filling up in Nelson and it was about 13c a litre cheaper than the servo' around the corner from my place :/ It's really not that different, from my experience.
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    raptor 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    I wait for those 30 cents litre off that the supermarkets offer when you buy $200 worth of stuff (assuming they do this in the SI) and you can get up to 100 litres-its worthwhile when you live off the pension.
    havnt seen a 30c a ltr discount here ever

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post
    So what exactly is the go with fuel in Auckland? Last time I was there, I was trying to fly home but apparently Jetstar completely ran out of fuel and they had to cancel a fuck tonne of flights. The cabbie I had taking me into the city for an overnight stay at the Mecure was saying that there's some massive shortage? How does that even happen?
    That was probably after the main fuel pipeline to the airport let go, due to someone with a digger hitting it at some unknown time in the past, and then the pressure getting cranked up past it's breaking point.

Apparently it was decided some time prior that there wasn't enough risk to justify a second pipeline......
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    '08 Wee
    I always suggest going to the self service places, at least when putting in 91. Can be upwards of 20c off a litre, on the same major street as other retailers and you are doing as much work as you do at any servo. Just can't get a pie at the same time. Used to be the Gulf on Forrest Hill rd (near the intersection with East Coast rd) when on the shore. Now it is the Waitomo on Manukau rd as I have moved to the central suburbs. I am sure there are others around, and I would expect if there were any out west they would be the cheapest of the lot.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
    I always suggest going to the self service places, at least when putting in 91.
    Best thing with self service is no one ever asks you to take your helmet off!

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Or to get off the bike while filling up.

Who would have thought a thread about Auckland would actually have useful advice for me?

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I don't take my helmet off anyway... Used to but such a palaver.

The guy at my favourite station even opened my jacket's chest pocket for me the other week - torrential rain and I couldn't get to the zipper with gloves and overgloves on, and I didn't want to take them off just to pay. We had a laugh about it at the time and again this week when I was back and the sun was shining.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    havnt seen a 30c a ltr discount here ever
    Is that right-But when its on (about every 6 weeks or so)its advertised on National TV and newspapers-Countdown normally do it first then immediately followed by New World-sometimes it even goes to 40cents off,but you have to buy $300 IIRC

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Is that right-But when its on (about every 6 weeks or so)its advertised on National TV and newspapers-Countdown normally do it first then immediately followed by New World-sometimes it even goes to 40cents off,but you have to buy $300 IIRC
    I don't even buy $300 worth of groceries in a month, let alone in one go, so I don't pay any attention to those promos.

I have a fuel card: bigger discounts at the pump every day and I don't have to piss around with $40 min or 50L max (the bike is about $25 to fill with fast dinosaurs, and the 4Wd takes 60L of slow dinos).

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HEsch View Post
    I don't even buy $300 worth of groceries in a month, let alone in one go, so I don't pay any attention to those promos.
    Yeah, I see the ads but I'm not spending an extra hundred bucks on groceries to get a discount on gas. I don't use that much groceries - or that much gas.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Repco do similar 40 cents for $200 spend in one transaction sometimes. Thats when I buy my oils and filters for all services.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Yeah, I see the ads but I'm not spending an extra hundred bucks on groceries to get a discount on gas. I don't use that much groceries - or that much gas.
    I only supermarket shop about every 3 weeks due to location so $200 to $300 is no problem in my household.

Bike
    CB1300
    With 4 kids 5 and under and a half hours drive to the nearest supermarket a $300 trolley would leave me wondering what we forgot.

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    With 4 kids 5 and under and a half hours drive to the nearest supermarket a $300 trolley would leave me wondering what we forgot.
    Condoms perhaps?

Thread Information