Thread: KLF300B No spark and electrical issues (quad)

Bike
    a shit load

KLF300B No spark and electrical issues (quad)

Sorry to post another electrical problem thread but... i have recently acquired a klf300 with no spark and when I connect a power source the neutral doesn't come on and no power seems to get anywhere, i get 5ish volts to the coil an ignition switch when i spin the motor (by hand) but the battery voltage wont get to the coil or front of the wiring harness? wiring looks fine, could a bad starter relay or starter circuit relay cause this? Any ideas greatly appreciated

Wiring diagram: https://cdn.instructables.com/FN3/VT...CS3T.LARGE.jpg

EDIT: I have also tested ignition and kill switches which seem to work

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarlinHemi View Post
    Sorry to post another electrical problem thread but... i have recently acquired a klf300 with no spark and when I connect a power source the neutral doesn't come on and no power seems to get anywhere, i get 5ish volts to the coil an ignition switch when i spin the motor (by hand) but the battery voltage wont get to the coil or front of the wiring harness? wiring looks fine, could a bad starter relay or starter circuit relay cause this? Any ideas greatly appreciated

Wiring diagram: https://cdn.instructables.com/FN3/VT...CS3T.LARGE.jpg

EDIT: I have also tested ignition and kill switches which seem to work
    See if you can get the simple electrical things like horn or (any) lights to work. Direct power to individual components will confirm they do (or don't) work.

Could be a (Main) fuse issue. But no spark often is caused by a dud plug.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    a shit load
    Thanks for that The main fuse is okay, and the bike doesn't have any lights or a horn but i did try and get the nuetral light working but the volage doesn't get from the battery to that, but when the stator spins i get voltage (low but still) through everything but the battery terminals

Bike
    2001 zx9
    Ok , on these bikes the battery runs the ignition so first of all you need to get a multimeter (or test bulb) and check for certain if 12v is getting to the ignition switch and out of it when its turned on. (to make fault finding simple i'd ignore the charging aspect for the time being.) the neutral light is a simple system and assuming the bulb is good the fact it doesn't work as well as the ignition is a likely lead... i wouldn't be surprised if the power isn't getting past the ignition switch. i have a klf300 c model and the ignition switch has played up a few times over the last 27 years. i once had to clean the cdi conectors due to a bit of corrosion on them also . see how you get on - we need to confirm power is getting to the cdi - if not how far does it get?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for that The main fuse is okay, and the bike doesn't have any lights or a horn but i did try and get the nuetral light working but the volage doesn't get from the battery to that, but when the stator spins i get voltage (low but still) through everything but the battery terminals
    I assume then that lights are not a priority then ... if not .. set up a basic "loom" to direct power to where it's needed. If it has a kick/pull start ... it can be wired to not need a battery ... just a kill switch. Little effort would be required to wire a starter motor in to turn the engine over to start it.

Bike
    a shit load
    Okay awesome, tommorow i will check for power at the ignition switch, im pretty sure i dont have it and will check at the CDI

Thanks for the info will update tommorow

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Clean the main positive terminal where it bolts on to the starter solenoid.

Bike
    a shit load
    IT RUNS!!! I tried hooking the positive battery terminal straight to the ignition switch wire and she worked neutral light and it ran for 5 secondsish thanks for all the help everyone now i move onto carby, i was also thinking of just running a wire with a switch straight from the positive wire to the ignition wire (bypassing main wiring) is this safe to do if i fuse it? Cheers -Marlin

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    .... i was also thinking of just running a wire with a switch straight from the positive wire to the ignition wire (bypassing main wiring) is this safe to do if i fuse it? Cheers -Marlin
    if the worst that could happen is you blow a fuse ... But if that is the worst that could happen ...

Bike
    a shit load
    Okay awesome thanks! what amp fuse should i use? cheers

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Okay awesome thanks! what amp fuse should i use? cheers
    No more than the existing (if correct) main fuse ... probably ...

Bike
    2001 zx9
    Great you've got spark with a jury rig - now you've got the chance to (easily) fix it properly or do a patch-up...

Bike
    a shit load
    For now it will just be a patch up until i know the bikes gearbox rings steering and diff are okay then i might be bothered doing it properly

Thread Information