Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30

Thread: Ride Forever course - Silver or Gold?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    19th January 2013 - 16:56
    Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Location
    The Isthmus
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I'm off to Pukekohe on Wednesday to do the silver course with Passmasters. They want us to wear earphones though, not sure how that will go as I've never worn them on a bike.

    Might have to fit the quiet exhaust to the R1!
    I did a silver with them the other year. Well worth the time and effort - reinforced those things you are doing well and reminds you of those you need to practise... always worth having someone critique your riding...

    plus it's a day out of town on the bike

  2. #17
    Join Date
    24th April 2014 - 09:16
    Bike
    2016 Yamaha XSR900
    Location
    Russell
    Posts
    363
    They supply the "earphones"-actually small buds that will fit you easily-need these as the instructor will talk to you as you ride along.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    2nd March 2018 - 15:32
    Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    They supply the "earphones"-actually small buds that will fit you easily-need these as the instructor will talk to you as you ride along.
    They said to BYO if you have some, so I'll take the ones I use when flying which block outside noise quite well.

    I'm pretty relaxed about most things but I'm not sure how I'll go with earphones while riding!

  4. #19
    Join Date
    13th June 2017 - 21:10
    Bike
    2018 Suzuki GSX S750
    Location
    Manukau
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    They said to BYO if you have some, so I'll take the ones I use when flying which block outside noise quite well.

    I'm pretty relaxed about most things but I'm not sure how I'll go with earphones while riding!
    You will quickly have more other things to concentrate on than be concerned about the earphones

    I have done a few courses with Passmasters already, Paul, Brian and Chris

    You will learn a lot and relax and have fun

  5. #20
    Join Date
    2nd March 2018 - 15:32
    Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    602
    It was a good day, ended up being just me on the course. Nice ride to Huntly and back from Pukekohe, and a fine day despite the shitty looking weather when I rode out there in the morning.

    Some Important Stuff - coffee at Pukekohe Maccas is shit, and the best place for a feed in Huntly is still the KFC.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    17th July 2003 - 23:37
    Bike
    CB1300
    Location
    Tuakau
    Posts
    4,771
    Best coffee I have found in Pukekohe by a long stretch...
    C3 Factory

    174 King St, Pukekohe 2120
    09-881 4333

    https://g.co/kgs/CfrVUN

  7. #22
    Join Date
    2nd March 2018 - 15:32
    Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    602
    Star and Protecta will refund part or all of the course fee, and Star will halve your excess for 12 months after the course. Other insurers may also do something similar.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    13th April 2018 - 20:36
    Bike
    2015 CBR1000rr
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    97
    If you get insurance discounts for training, there should be benefits in being a member of the Advanced Motorists, right?

  9. #24
    Join Date
    22nd October 2002 - 11:00
    Bike
    2019 KTM Duke 790
    Location
    Coromandel Harbour
    Posts
    4,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonicorn View Post
    If you get insurance discounts for training, there should be benefits in being a member of the Advanced Motorists, right?
    Well, my insurer gave me a discount for the Advanced Test pass and another when I passed my Observer Test. Unfortunately, they only applied for the year of the passes. Your biggest benefit is being a better rider

  10. #25
    Join Date
    29th October 2009 - 12:10
    Bike
    Deceased, pending new
    Location
    Htown
    Posts
    6
    I can't imagine protecta offering anything these days. It's like pulling teeth no matter how obvious it is you weren't in the wrong. They used to be about bikers. Not anymore.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    27th March 2017 - 11:33
    Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Location
    Hamilton/Auckland
    Posts
    228
    Protecta did offer to pay the cost of one Ride Forever course per year (max $50).

    Star give you 50% of the cost back up to $30 and halve your excess - you can submit this once per year - so you just have to do one course every year to keep up with it.

    I saved $500 (reduction in excess) by doing a course that was a freebie (through a RF promo). Best $0 I ever spent.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    2nd March 2018 - 15:32
    Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    602
    My course instructor said that the Rideforever courses will become part of the licensing system in about 2 years. I don't know what that will mean for costs or content, but it might pay to do the courses sooner rather than later if you're thinking about it.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    24th November 2015 - 11:20
    Bike
    MV Rivale 800
    Location
    Blenheim and Welly
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    My course instructor said that the Rideforever courses will become part of the licensing system in about 2 years. I don't know what that will mean for costs or content, but it might pay to do the courses sooner rather than later if you're thinking about it.
    I'm surprised that's not the case already to be honest. It'll help for sure.

    If you enjoyed your day on the Ride Forever course then I can recommend doing your IAM advanced test too. You'll be doing your lovely machine justice by being a better rider - Not necessarily faster mind but better all round. A good bunch of people too who love their riding and want to help others improve too. Give Blackbird a PM if you want to know more or check out the IAM website.
    Navy Boy

  14. #29
    Join Date
    2nd March 2018 - 15:32
    Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    I'm surprised that's not the case already to be honest. It'll help for sure.

    If you enjoyed your day on the Ride Forever course then I can recommend doing your IAM advanced test too. You'll be doing your lovely machine justice by being a better rider - Not necessarily faster mind but better all round. A good bunch of people too who love their riding and want to help others improve too. Give Blackbird a PM if you want to know more or check out the IAM website.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will probably do another Ride Forever course after Christmas, then look into IAM.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    13th July 2008 - 20:48
    Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Location
    Paremata
    Posts
    4,050
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    My course instructor said that the Rideforever courses will become part of the licensing system in about 2 years. I don't know what that will mean for costs or content, but it might pay to do the courses sooner rather than later if you're thinking about it.
    When CBTA / Ride Forever was set up, the thought is that it would totally replace the old system. But that would be reliant upon everyone having access to a Ride Forever trainer, who is CBTA qualified.

    They aren't thick on the ground outside of the main populated areas.

    Out of interest, I'm a Ride Forever trainer who is CBTA qualified, and I have a full time job doing something else.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •