Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ride Forever course - Silver or Gold?

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I'm off to Pukekohe on Wednesday to do the silver course with Passmasters. They want us to wear earphones though, not sure how that will go as I've never worn them on a bike.

Might have to fit the quiet exhaust to the R1!
    I did a silver with them the other year. Well worth the time and effort - reinforced those things you are doing well and reminds you of those you need to practise... always worth having someone critique your riding...

plus it's a day out of town on the bike

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    They supply the "earphones"-actually small buds that will fit you easily-need these as the instructor will talk to you as you ride along.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    They supply the "earphones"-actually small buds that will fit you easily-need these as the instructor will talk to you as you ride along.
    They said to BYO if you have some, so I'll take the ones I use when flying which block outside noise quite well.

I'm pretty relaxed about most things but I'm not sure how I'll go with earphones while riding!

Bike
    2018 Suzuki GSX S750
    They said to BYO if you have some, so I'll take the ones I use when flying which block outside noise quite well.

I'm pretty relaxed about most things but I'm not sure how I'll go with earphones while riding!
    You will quickly have more other things to concentrate on than be concerned about the earphones

I have done a few courses with Passmasters already, Paul, Brian and Chris

You will learn a lot and relax and have fun

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    It was a good day, ended up being just me on the course. Nice ride to Huntly and back from Pukekohe, and a fine day despite the shitty looking weather when I rode out there in the morning.

Some Important Stuff - coffee at Pukekohe Maccas is shit, and the best place for a feed in Huntly is still the KFC.

Bike
    CB1300
    Best coffee I have found in Pukekohe by a long stretch...
    C3 Factory

174 King St, Pukekohe 2120
    09-881 4333

https://g.co/kgs/CfrVUN

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Star and Protecta will refund part or all of the course fee, and Star will halve your excess for 12 months after the course. Other insurers may also do something similar.

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)
    If you get insurance discounts for training, there should be benefits in being a member of the Advanced Motorists, right?

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonicorn View Post
    If you get insurance discounts for training, there should be benefits in being a member of the Advanced Motorists, right?
    Well, my insurer gave me a discount for the Advanced Test pass and another when I passed my Observer Test. Unfortunately, they only applied for the year of the passes. Your biggest benefit is being a better rider

Bike
    Deceased, pending new
    I can't imagine protecta offering anything these days. It's like pulling teeth no matter how obvious it is you weren't in the wrong. They used to be about bikers. Not anymore.

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Protecta did offer to pay the cost of one Ride Forever course per year (max $50).

Star give you 50% of the cost back up to $30 and halve your excess - you can submit this once per year - so you just have to do one course every year to keep up with it.

I saved $500 (reduction in excess) by doing a course that was a freebie (through a RF promo). Best $0 I ever spent.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    My course instructor said that the Rideforever courses will become part of the licensing system in about 2 years. I don't know what that will mean for costs or content, but it might pay to do the courses sooner rather than later if you're thinking about it.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    My course instructor said that the Rideforever courses will become part of the licensing system in about 2 years. I don't know what that will mean for costs or content, but it might pay to do the courses sooner rather than later if you're thinking about it.
    I'm surprised that's not the case already to be honest. It'll help for sure.

If you enjoyed your day on the Ride Forever course then I can recommend doing your IAM advanced test too. You'll be doing your lovely machine justice by being a better rider - Not necessarily faster mind but better all round. A good bunch of people too who love their riding and want to help others improve too. Give Blackbird a PM if you want to know more or check out the IAM website.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    I'm surprised that's not the case already to be honest. It'll help for sure.

If you enjoyed your day on the Ride Forever course then I can recommend doing your IAM advanced test too. You'll be doing your lovely machine justice by being a better rider - Not necessarily faster mind but better all round. A good bunch of people too who love their riding and want to help others improve too. Give Blackbird a PM if you want to know more or check out the IAM website.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will probably do another Ride Forever course after Christmas, then look into IAM.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    When CBTA / Ride Forever was set up, the thought is that it would totally replace the old system. But that would be reliant upon everyone having access to a Ride Forever trainer, who is CBTA qualified.

They aren't thick on the ground outside of the main populated areas.

Out of interest, I'm a Ride Forever trainer who is CBTA qualified, and I have a full time job doing something else.

Thread Information