Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: Ride Forever course - Silver or Gold?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    2nd March 2018 - 15:32
    Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    518

    Ride Forever course - Silver or Gold?

    There's a few free course promotions at the moment, so thought I'd sign up for one. The main question I have is whether to do the Silver or Gold? I started riding again in 2010 but (foolishly) didn't do any training at the time. I'm now riding about 10,000 km a year.

    Also, any recommendations on where to do the course? I live in central Auckland, so there's a good choice of locations I can get to fairly easily.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    25th February 2016 - 10:31
    Bike
    BMW F 650GS
    Location
    Manuaku
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    There's a few free course promotions at the moment, so thought I'd sign up for one. The main question I have is whether to do the Silver or Gold? I started riding again in 2010 but (foolishly) didn't do any training at the time. I'm now riding about 10,000 km a year.

    Also, any recommendations on where to do the course? I live in central Auckland, so there's a good choice of locations I can get to fairly easily.
    They have a graduated system, you’ll probably have to start at bronze
    I’ve done all 3, there’s lots of practical learning and there decent way to spend the day on the bike


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    13th April 2018 - 20:36
    Bike
    2015 CBR1000rr
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    95
    Do the silver now then the gold in summer

    Bronze is for learners,
    Silver is for restricted
    and Gold is for Full.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    25th February 2016 - 10:31
    Bike
    BMW F 650GS
    Location
    Manuaku
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonicorn View Post
    Do the silver now then the gold in summer

    Bronze is for learners,
    Silver is for restricted
    and Gold is for Full.
    Good for some, but they wouldn’t let me do the silver before I did the bronze, I ride daily. Race some weekends.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    13th April 2018 - 20:36
    Bike
    2015 CBR1000rr
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Saarg View Post
    Good for some, but they wouldn’t let me do the silver before I did the bronze, I ride daily. Race some weekends.
    Really? that's a bit stink. I guess some riders don't even know the basic techniques so the instructors want people to do all the courses regardless of experience.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    13th June 2017 - 21:10
    Bike
    2018 Suzuki GSX S750
    Location
    Manukau
    Posts
    11
    Also applied to do Silver with Prorider and then they asked if I did Bronze before. Have done Urban, Bronze and Silver before with Passmasters in Takanini area but then wanted to do Silver again as the Silver done earlier in February was a disaster in some ways as it was extremely wet. It rained so hard that we stopped many times trying to find shelter.

    Excellent courses though and looking forward to do Gold next.

    Enjoy

  7. #7
    Join Date
    2nd March 2018 - 15:32
    Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    518
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonicorn View Post
    Do the silver now then the gold in summer

    Bronze is for learners,
    Silver is for restricted
    and Gold is for Full.
    That was what I understood, but am quite happy to start with Silver.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    20th June 2011 - 20:27
    Bike
    BMW XChallenge, GSXR1250fa, Tuono 1100
    Location
    Glen Eden
    Posts
    9,686
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    That was what I understood, but am quite happy to start with Silver.
    http://iam.org.nz/
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    25th February 2016 - 10:31
    Bike
    BMW F 650GS
    Location
    Manuaku
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonicorn View Post
    Really? that's a bit stink. I guess some riders don't even know the basic techniques so the instructors want people to do all the courses regardless of experience.
    Still, good day out on the bike.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    22nd October 2002 - 11:00
    Bike
    2019 KTM Duke 790
    Location
    Coromandel Harbour
    Posts
    4,103
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Whilst riders with reasonable experience can join IAM and really benefit from it, it's noticeable that those who have progressed through the Ride Forever programme first find progress to the Roadcraft Advanced Test a little easier to take on board. Of course, there's nothing to stop a rider doing both.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    9th May 2008 - 21:23
    Bike
    2013 Busa 2013 FJR1300
    Location
    Northern Waikato
    Posts
    2,322
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Whilst riders with reasonable experience can join IAM and really benefit from it, it's noticeable that those who have progressed through the Ride Forever programme first find progress to the Roadcraft Advanced Test a little easier to take on board. Of course, there's nothing to stop a rider doing both.
    Or to take that one step further, seeing as the Rideforever courses are based on Roadcraft, think of the Rideforever stuff as the prep-work for IAM. A decent rider who has done one or two Gold courses will breeze thru the IAM version of Roadcraft in short order, whereas if you've not done any Rideforever courses it'll be a much longer process. Every day is a school day
    If the words I say offend you, imagine the ones I keep to myself...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    20th January 2008 - 17:29
    Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Location
    Auckland NZ's Epicentre
    Posts
    3,467
    Silver in Auckland on the shore is a good day out, did about 250 KM's.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    2nd March 2018 - 15:32
    Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    518
    Thanks everyone for the comments.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    22nd October 2002 - 11:00
    Bike
    2019 KTM Duke 790
    Location
    Coromandel Harbour
    Posts
    4,103
    Another option whilst more expensive than Ride Forever is a 1 day, 1:1 advanced riding course with Philip McDaid out in west Auckland. He will assess and tailor the coaching to your specific needs. He's a remarkable guy and quite a few people on KB will attest to that. Link: http://www.riderskills.co.nz/default...ghtbar=ADVNews

  15. #15
    Join Date
    2nd March 2018 - 15:32
    Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    518
    I'm off to Pukekohe on Wednesday to do the silver course with Passmasters. They want us to wear earphones though, not sure how that will go as I've never worn them on a bike.

    Might have to fit the quiet exhaust to the R1!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •