Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another noob

Bike
    2019 Street Triple R

Another noob

Hey folks

Just joined up as I’m pumped to be getting into riding. Did basic handling last weekend, and prepping for my theory test now.

Enjoying looking around for my first bike, and looking forward to riding around the Kumeu area soon. Will be a nice change from my desk job. I’m 41, so guess I’m a late starter.

Cheers

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Welcome to KB, let the silliness begin...

You sound like you're pretty clear about immediate plans, is any advice sought or are you good for now?

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Welcome to KB, let the silliness begin...

You sound like you're pretty clear about immediate plans, is any advice sought or are you good for now?
    LOL My advice would be not to ask for any!

Welcome to the forum.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    As an older starter i would say get as much training as you can.

Worth it for safety and fun.

We are not far from you and are up for rides. And on that be very careful who you ride with, things go badly very quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)
    There are plenty of nice rides from Kumeu. Bethells Beach is nice. An exciting time for sure. Will we be seeing a post for what bike you should choose next?

Bike
    2019 Street Triple R
    Hey all

Thanks for the warm welcome. Passed my theory test yesterday so now have my learners (boom!).

So yep, next job is buying a bike. I’m in two minds about buying new vs second hand for my first bike.

If new, I’m thinking about a Honda CMX500. The low seat suits me, as I’m 168cm tall. From what I can tell it’s pretty smooth at lower speeds, so good for learning on around my sub-division. Coz it’s 471cc it will also be good for when I feel ready to head out on SH16. I figure it will last me well into my full license before I feel a need for change. Also, I’m thinking that if I buy outright I can maybe get them to throw in a bit of gear???

If used, I’m thinking a Suzuki S40 maybe, for similar reasons as above.

And yes, after I’m feeling a little more comfortable on the seat then proper training is first on the list. Although hoping to find a trainer that is not a condesencing dick like the guy on my basic skills course. Man... way to make fun of new riders and build their confidence!

Cheers

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I will always so dont buy new for the first one. Why, let somebody else take the depreciation hit and chances are in 6 months you will want to change style anyway. Seen it heaps of times. And chances are it will end up on the floor.....

Send the best money on gear, far more important than a flash L plater bike.

Some trainers you wont gel with, some you will. Who did your basic?

Bike
    2019 Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I will always so dont buy new for the first one. Why, let somebody else take the depreciation hit and chances are in 6 months you will want to change style anyway. Seen it heaps of times. And chances are it will end up on the floor.....

Send the best money on gear, far more important than a flash L plater bike.
    Yep this is sound advice. I’m torn between good logic and LOVING the look and feel of the CMX500. Emotion vs reason, basically.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpollie View Post
    Yep this is sound advice. I’m torn between good logic and LOVING the look and feel of the CMX500. Emotion vs reason, basically.
    Well nobody ends up loving the Lams bike, they get dumped the second the licence allows. And often the style you start with is not what you really want. Many IMO start on cruisers as the look easier to ride where in fact they are not.

Bike
    2019 Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Some trainers you wont gel with, some you will. Who did your basic?
    Fair enough. Prefer not to mention them if that’s cool, as it was just one trainer among a bunch (and the others seemed nice, even if in a bit of a rush to get people through the training).

Am planning to ask at bike shops for recommendations for one-on-one training. Happy to pay more for taking things at more relaxed pace, and the ability ask questions, clarify, get advice, etc.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Fair enough. Prefer not to mention them if that’s cool, as it was just one trainer among a bunch (and the others seemed nice, even if in a bit of a rush to get people through the training).

Am planning to ask at bike shops for recommendations for one-on-one training. Happy to pay more for taking things at more relaxed pace, and the ability ask questions, clarify, get advice, etc.

Anyone have any recommendations?
    Philip from Riderskills. Best of the best.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    If you're going secondhand, have a look at a few bikes before making any decision, owners can be pretty variable. S40's are great wee bikes and if it's been kept mostly stock and garaged then you should be OK, but read up on the cam chain tensioner issue. It's about the only real gotcha with these bikes.

+1 to what nzspokes said - the bike will get dropped. Everyone does an oopsie sooner or later... usually it's while parking, or in a driveway, or pulling up. 10 k's per hr or less and 'splat'... dammit... nobody saw that right??

If it's secondhand, check the age of the tyres via the codes on the sidewalls - old rubber is dead rubber and it will slip without warning. If the tyres are older than 5 yrs, even if there's tread left, chuck 'em. The rubber will have gone hard. New rubber's way cheaper than crash repairs.

Good riding gear will likely stay with you longer than the first bike.

As to staying alive during this high-risk learning period, yep absolutely do your courses, I did my L plate stuff back before Ride Forever. Trial and error learning very nearly had me off the road on several occasions.

Bike
    2019 Street Triple R
    There’s an S40 on Tard Me I’ve got my eye on: https://www.trademe.co.nz/trade-me-m...1701887790.htm

If I buy second hand, any suggestions on how to get the bike transported to my house? Don’t really fancy riding it all the way until I feel more confident.

Are there folks you can pay to transport bikes?

Thanks again for the advice folks.
    “He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave.”

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    There’s an S40 on Tard Me I’ve got my eye on: https://www.trademe.co.nz/trade-me-m...1701887790.htm

If I buy second hand, any suggestions on how to get the bike transported to my house? Don’t really fancy riding it all the way until I feel more confident.

Are there folks you can pay to transport bikes?

Thanks again for the advice folks.
    Great guy and it wont cost much. https://motorcyclerecovery.vpweb.co.nz/

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    This website might be useful - Bike Ergonomics. Put in your dimensions and see how you'd fit on the bike. Just be aware that it's a UK site so some models may not be shown because they're not sold there.

If you think you'd be comfortable on it, then go and try it for real in a dealer's showroom. I'd suggest that if you can't flat foot the bike when you're sitting on it, then that adds a challenge when learning to ride.

Some seriously good advice in the above posts. Be prepared to spend on gear, this might be worth having a look at as well: https: RideForever - bike and gear

Cheers

Thread Information