Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tt2000 2019

Bike
    2013 Multistrada
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    well you guys are awesome.Its been at least a couple of hours and i am still somewhere down Otago.With the help of some you tube videos i am sorta making some headway with basecamp but at times it does bizarre things like add a big loop down throgh palmerston for no expicable reason.There arent any points down there.
    I haven't played with basecamp, (does it accept the maps from NZ open GPS?), but check your avoidance settings, you might has avoid unpaved roads set hence the big loop, I am actually doing that loop and dropped Danseys as I needed the kilometres.
    Its not the destination that is important its the journey.

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    I've got my route planned out, though haven't decided which way around yet or where I'm stopping to sleep. Strangely when I reverse the route in basecamp its 20km longer anti-clockwise vs clockwise:-S

At the moment I'm planning to try and do every Adventure one but may end up having to turn back on some if I come to a river/stream crossing or a track that's too impassible for my Spyder.

I'm going to be checking a few out beforehand to see if they are possible.
    There's at least three ADV checkpoint you'll be struggling to reach on the Spyder... Even if you put knobbies on it.

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    Quote Originally Posted by JMemonic View Post
    I haven't played with basecamp, (does it accept the maps from NZ open GPS?), but check your avoidance settings, you might has avoid unpaved roads set hence the big loop, I am actually doing that loop and dropped Danseys as I needed the kilometres.
    Yep, Basecamp works well with NZ OpenGPS maps - this combo is the primary toolset for creating each TT event, along with Google Maps (for cross-checking).

Bike
    2013 Multistrada
    Quote Originally Posted by wpoll View Post
    There's at least three ADV checkpoint you'll be struggling to reach on the Spyder... Even if you put knobbies on it.
    Now that would be a sight to see, an off road spyder.

Bike
    2013 Multistrada
    Yep, Basecamp works well with NZ OpenGPS maps - this combo is the primary toolset for creating each TT event, along with Google Maps (for cross-checking).
    Cheers Wayne, I might have to look at basecamp for the future, nice looking map for this year btw. Now to try and get my body sorted out so I can do this.

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    Now that would be a sight to see, an off road spyder.
    Wouldn't it just...!

Actually, my call on what is suitable for a Spyder and what isn't suitable is based on my own experience of riding one - nada. Knowing where PistonBlown has taken his in the past I'm guessing there is only one ADV checkpoint that is out of reach for a three-wheeler.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    yes i am using nzopen maps.The "profile" thing bugs me.i have used driving and motorcycling.basecamp has a list of about 10 avoidances,i made sure "unpaved roads" and u turns were allowed .Sometimes the profile shows up as "none"
    what do you use mapsource?I am thinking i might just have all the waypoints loaded on the gps and go that way.
    This is just telling basecamp to form a route using the way points frm start to start point.I have discoverd shaping points but it still does these weird little loops.I do like how basecamp lets you organise stuff

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar

Thumbs up Basecamp

Basecamp IS pretty good at organising data - I have it set up with more than a few TT events!

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    So you guys haven't heard about the mod's I've made last weekend? ;-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DirtBike Spyder.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	338431

(Hopefully the picture actually works this time)

PS Wayne, Don't suppose you'd give me a hit on which three (or one) to avoid?

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    So you guys haven't heard about the mod's I've made last weekend? ;-)

PS Wayne, Don't suppose you'd give me a hit on which three (or one) to avoid?
    That's exactly the sort of image I had in mind when I made the comment! Hah... typical that someone has actually gone and done it...

The Ashburton ADV Flyer is a few hundred metres down a narrow, sandy river-side track - more single track than road. Depending on how many 4x4 vehicles have been down it recently, it can have some deep ruts hidden amongst the sand and broome. Not recommended for a Spyder!

The Kurow ADV Flyer is part-way up the Meyers Pass Road, which runs from the Hakataramea Valley and Waihaorunga. The approach from the east involves a steep climb, followed by a narrow and steep descent - not dissimilar from parts of the Skippers Canyon Road. The approach from the west is easier but still has a few knarly bends and sections. Either option involves lots of gates and even a few minor fords. Probably OK on the Spyder - if you're keen....

Here's Meyers Pass in the winter... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmCJlD-r6Mc

The Alexandra ADV Flyer is at Frasers Dam and the road starts off as a decent unsealed road but deteriorates the closer you get to the CP (at the dam). Check out this video which shows the good bit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91m3AkewcOU

Probably OK-ish on the Spyder too - if it's dry. Forget it if it's wet....

HTH...

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    I was thinking about doing this run IF I can get my shit together AND get the GS1100 going. Found a pretty neat Android app that provides three trip meters, average speed, time of day , road speed and compass, good clear display, no ads and it doesnt require a data connection. Runs fine on older Android version. And its free! DigiHUD by James Moss
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	digihud.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	338434  
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    That's exactly the sort of image I had in mind when I made the comment! Hah... typical that someone has actually gone and done it...

The Ashburton ADV Flyer is a few hundred metres down a narrow, sandy river-side track - more single track than road. Depending on how many 4x4 vehicles have been down it recently, it can have some deep ruts hidden amongst the sand and broome. Not recommended for a Spyder!

The Kurow ADV Flyer is part-way up the Meyers Pass Road, which runs from the Hakataramea Valley and Waihaorunga. The approach from the east involves a steep climb, followed by a narrow and steep descent - not dissimilar from parts of the Skippers Canyon Road. The approach from the west is easier but still has a few knarly bends and sections. Either option involves lots of gates and even a few minor fords. Probably OK on the Spyder - if you're keen....

Here's Meyers Pass in the winter... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmCJlD-r6Mc

The Alexandra ADV Flyer is at Frasers Dam and the road starts off as a decent unsealed road but deteriorates the closer you get to the CP (at the dam). Check out this video which shows the good bit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91m3AkewcOU

Probably OK-ish on the Spyder too - if it's dry. Forget it if it's wet....

HTH...
    Yep completely agree with your assessment having taken a gander at those videos.

Ashburton sand and deep ruts is definitely a no no. Also if I chop that one out I can go the long way around and avoid SH1 between Christchurch and Asburton, really hate that bit of road.

I'll have a ride down to Meyers and check it out later this year and see. Fords can be tricky but ok if the incline in/out isn't too sudden, ground clearance is naff on a Spyder.

Frasers dam by the look of it will be fine if I keep it slow as the surface looks like clay or similar. If wet then I agree not a good idea, I'd just go sliding sideways on a corner and it will be game over. That's going to be true of some of the other adventure ones as well.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    just a heads up guys.do not install the latest(4.7) version of basecamp,and or try to update your nzopen maps withthe new basecamp.The map does not install properly
    I have plotted the whole route with every check point and it seems pretty good in that it doesnt change when you change modes and recalculate.
    Be intersted in hearing your thoughts on which gps to use.I have two nuvis which i use a lot in the car and 4wd,never had one on a bikeI dont actually need glasses to drive/ride but i do need them to read a gps/phone etc

Bike
    R100GSPD
    here are some workarounds if you have already installed 4.7 and you want to update the latest nz open gps project map

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    just a heads up guys.do not install the latest(4.7) version of basecamp,and or try to update your nzopen maps withthe new basecamp.The map does not install properly
    I have plotted the whole route with every check point and it seems pretty good in that it doesnt change when you change modes and recalculate.
    Be intersted in hearing your thoughts on which gps to use.I have two nuvis which i use a lot in the car and 4wd,never had one on a bikeI dont actually need glasses to drive/ride but i do need them to read a gps/phone etc
    Thanks for the tip on Basecamp. The Garmin maps are very out of date at the moment e.g. thinks SH1 Kaikoura is still closed, don't want to muck up nz open maps so will make sure I don't update Basecamp.

For the glasses, last year one of the other TT2000 riders had bi-focal safety glasses which were only magnified when he looked down. Im going to get myself a pair to try out as was struggling a little last year with my notes.

I've tried using a phone with GPS software (co-pilot) and a car gps before splashing out on a Garmin 590 mototbike one. The phone was ok but fiddly and you couldnt really operate it while riding. Also the case I had to keep it dry steamed up with temp changes/rain. Same issues with the car one + screen was hard to read in sun and there was no option for headphones so no vebal instructions meaning you had to keep checking the screen more often. The proper bike one is waterproof, could be operated easily while riding and worked fine in the sun. So though I hated the cost it has been wrth it for the lack of hassle.

Thread Information