Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tt2000 2019

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wpoll View Post
    Rabbits, possums, deer, wallabies, sheep, the odd cattle beast, horses... all are threats. Well, rabbits not so much - they are soft! The rest are best avoided...

But while I hesitate to say wildlife on the road is rare, it's not much of an issue. Tourists in the daytime are a bigger threat.
    I went from Reefton / Springs junction one spring (mid)night ... hit about 50 rats. Apparently quite common at that time of year.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    '15 VStrom 650, 1983 BMW R80G/S
    I went through the Greta Valley/ Scargill/ Waikari rd about a month ago. The only thing to worry about is tractors trundling along. Otherwise in excellent condition. I have also done the Leader Rd x3 this year. Last time was in May. The automated lights about 1/3 of the way in from SH1 were still there as they were in February. Wave your hand in front of the sensor at the top of the lights if you get a red and they change v quickly (if they are still there next feb). Again in excellent condition but a road to be treated with respect if its your first time through.
    To anyone that ever told you you’re no good… They’re no better.

Bike
    BMW R1200RT 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    in the work arounds above i did the one to downgrade map install...it seems to work in that i have got a normal looking map and it calculates a route on my nuvi,albeit not the exact route i had plotted.
    I have 4.62 still installed on my Surface Pro 4 so decided to uninstall the 4.7 off my main PC. Ran the uninstall and checked the Mapinstaller directory and it was still there. Deleted that manually and then installed 4.62 from scratch. All my maps, routes and data still all intact so looks okay. Might do a test send to a GPS I use for my Jetski just to make sure.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NiggleC View Post
    ... I went through the Greta Valley/ Scargill/ Waikari rd about a month ago. The only thing to worry about is tractors trundling along. Otherwise in excellent condition.
    I plan on doing a ride in the area later this year ... will take a nosey thru anyway (Any excuse for a ride).

My usual haunts for rides are very rural areas ... I keep a close watch on farm driveways and open gates into paddocks.

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Wayne looks like you've got an inside line on Can-am's R&D department. New model announced today for 2019...

https://www.facebook.com/CanAmOnRoad...yMjAxNTMxOTIz/

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by wpoll View Post

The Ashburton ADV Flyer is a few hundred metres down a narrow, sandy river-side track - more single track than road. Depending on how many 4x4 vehicles have been down it recently, it can have some deep ruts hidden amongst the sand and broome. Not recommended for a Spyder!
    We've been pre-riding parts of the course, and thought that the Ashburton ADV checkpoint was worth a look. Definitely good to have been there in advance. Looking at both Google Terrain View, Street View, and TopoMap, it seems as if the way to the pylons should be to cross the bridge north of Dobbins Ford, then after a km turn left onto a farm track and then after another km turn left again down another farm track to the pylons. We tried that. Not so!

As Wayne notes, the actual track is on your left just as you cross the bridge (there might be a removable electric fence wire in place - there was a couple of weeks ago), and indeed it is quite rutty and sandy. Two-up it was at the very bottom end of first gear for the 900 or so metres to the photo spot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	233.6 KB 
ID:	338867  

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    Pity you didn't have next year's t-shirt with you, David!

Bike
    Ninja 300
    This looks friggin awesome! Bike upgrade required

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    We've been pre-riding parts of the course, and thought that the Ashburton ADV checkpoint was worth a look. Definitely good to have been there in advance. Looking at both Google Terrain View, Street View, and TopoMap, it seems as if the way to the pylons should be to cross the bridge north of Dobbins Ford, then after a km turn left onto a farm track and then after another km turn left again down another farm track to the pylons. We tried that. Not so!

As Wayne notes, the actual track is on your left just as you cross the bridge (there might be a removable electric fence wire in place - there was a couple of weeks ago), and indeed it is quite rutty and sandy. Two-up it was at the very bottom end of first gear for the 900 or so metres to the photo spot.
    Have already taken a gecko at the Ashburton ADV one and even I wouldn't attempt that on my Spyder, very frustrating as I was kind of thinking of doing every checkpoint:-( However this has meant I've been able to plan a route that completely avoids SH1 between Christchurch and Ashburton so its not all bad. I'm going to do a little tiki tour with my daughter during the next school hols to check some ADV ones out, that way if I get stuck I've got someone to help me push the Spyder;-)

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KezzaCFC View Post
    This looks friggin awesome! Bike upgrade required
    Maybe you don't need an upgrade, there is a regular Ninja 300 TT2000 rider....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03695.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	806.4 KB 
ID:	338879

Bike
    Ninja 300
    Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Maybe you don't need an upgrade, regular Ninja 300 TT2000 rider....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03695.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	806.4 KB 
ID:	338879
    Ohh awesome! Too easy.
    I'll be using this to plan the route https://ridewithgps.com/. Built for cyclists, but works well on the bike. Can import the routes directly onto googlemaps (so i don't have to fork out for a Garmin). Although probably not good for the ADV checkpoints

Bike
    '15 VStrom 650, 1983 BMW R80G/S
    Evening all. Mrs C has just advised me that the National Rowing champs are being held at Twizel 19th - 23rd Feb 2019. So if you are thinking of accommodation between probably Fairlie and Omarama while on the TT2000 you better investigate sooner rather than later. Leave it with you.....
    To anyone that ever told you you’re no good… They’re no better.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by NiggleC View Post
    Evening all. Mrs C has just advised me that the National Rowing champs are being held at Twizel 19th - 23rd Feb 2019. So if you are thinking of accommodation between probably Fairlie and Omarama while on the TT2000 you better investigate sooner rather than later. Leave it with you.....
    thats some good info there ,will be many many people in twizel for that week/end

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    thats some good info there ,will be many many people in twizel for that week/end
    Depending on the intended route of participants ... and the time of day they'll be in the area ... will accommodation in Twizel be needed. Even allowing for checkpoint stops ... it's only about four and a half hours south of Yaldhurst.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    For those intending to pick up the Alexandra flyer (at Shingle Creek) there is a detour from turn-off to Clyde at the Clyde Dam end of town ... through Clyde and across the Clyde bridge and along Earnscleugh rd and up Conroys rd to the Alexandra-Roxburgh rd at butchers dam.

The time needed to do this is 15 minutes at legal(ish) speeds. From Butchers Dam to Shingle Creek is 15 minutes (at similar speeds). 20 minutes from Shingle creek back to Alexandra.

This route gets you the maximum distance in the shortest possible time. Coming back into Alex .. the Springvale rd checkpoint is easily accessed via Manuherakia rd - Letts Gully rd - and turn right onto Springvale road.

The (quickest) route to the Alexandra Adventure checkpoint is from Blackmans rd - off Earnscleugh rd.

Thread Information