Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tt2000 2019

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries

Tt2000 2019

Yippee, TT2000 Checkpoints and Registration have appeared. http://www.tt2000.org

Bike
    R100GSPD
    can you give a explanation of what this is and would it be suitable for someone who has never donre this sort of thing before on a new to them bike???

edit never mind i am looking at the web site......

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    The web site is a good place to start, what I've said before when asked what doing the TT2000 is like:
    • The TT2000 is the most fun you can have on a bike (or trike) in a weekend.
    • Its for people who have a motorbike to ride it and are happiest in that perfect state of oneness with bike, road and landscape.
    • It's spending, surprisingly enjoyable, hours of planning and tweaking the route, stops etc (not to mention tracking down the mystery checkpoints).
    • The formats loose enough that, though there's the set checkpoints and targets, you can also have your own.
    • You often ride solo but at many of the checkpoints you meet other riders and chat, or wave as you see others riding the other way. An unusual fraternity.
      [*}It's about riding roads you've never ridden, experiencing new views and places.

The idea of doing 2000km in one go can seem daunting first time around. Though its a 48 hour event you start midday Friday and finish midday Sunday. This means you really only have one day when you're riding all day and you also have two nights sleep. Having checkpoints also means you have regular stops to stretch, drink, etc. The checkpoint side also means that you're just thinking about it being, say, 70km to the next checkpoint rather than how many km's you've still got to do to the finish.

My only warning is - once you've done one you'll be addicted.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    The web site is a good place to start, what I've said before when asked what doing the TT2000 is like:
    • The TT2000 is the most fun you can have on a bike (or trike) in a weekend.
    • Its for people who have a motorbike to ride it and are happiest in that perfect state of oneness with bike, road and landscape.
    • It's spending, surprisingly enjoyable, hours of planning and tweaking the route, stops etc (not to mention tracking down the mystery checkpoints).
    • The formats loose enough that, though there's the set checkpoints and targets, you can also have your own.
    • You often ride solo but at many of the checkpoints you meet other riders and chat, or wave as you see others riding the other way. An unusual fraternity.
      [*}It's about riding roads you've never ridden, experiencing new views and places.

The idea of doing 2000km in one go can seem daunting first time around. Though its a 48 hour event you start midday Friday and finish midday Sunday. This means you really only have one day when you're riding all day and you also have two nights sleep. Having checkpoints also means you have regular stops to stretch, drink, etc. The checkpoint side also means that you're just thinking about it being, say, 70km to the next checkpoint rather than how many km's you've still got to do to the finish.

sounds cool.So you sortout your route and presumabaly sort some accomodation for friday and sat night as well as planning fuel stop etc.You must have to keep moving though!If you take out say 9 hrs for each night that leaves 30 hours only.....2000/30 = 67 km hr average speed.That already sounds challenging !

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    sounds cool.So you sortout your route and presumabaly sort some accomodation for friday and sat night as well as planning fuel stop etc.You must have to keep moving though!If you take out say 9 hrs for each night that leaves 30 hours only.....2000/30 = 67 km hr average speed.That already sounds challenging !
    Piece of cake

I budget on 80km/h average on tar and 50 on gravel. Usually do a lot better than that (esp in South Island) and am considering lifting those a little. I allow 10mins for fuel stops and 5 for checkpoints and always aim to beat that too. My ride notes have my expected ETA's to checkpoints so I can keep an eye on how I'm doing and potentially drop or add checkpoints. Last year I finished just after 10am with around 2350km.

http://banditrider.weebly.com/route-planning.html
    http://banditrider.weebly.com/tt2000.html

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by banditrider View Post
    Piece of cake

I budget on 80km/h average on tar and 50 on gravel. Usually do a lot better than that (esp in South Island) and am considering lifting those a little. I allow 10mins for fuel stops and 5 for checkpoints and always aim to beat that too. My ride notes have my expected ETA's to checkpoints so I can keep an eye on how I'm doing and potentially drop or add checkpoints. Last year I finished just after 10am with around 2350km.

http://banditrider.weebly.com/route-planning.html
    http://banditrider.weebly.com/tt2000.html
    yeah right.....the actual number of points required is only advised at the breifing.Or earlier than that?What grmin do you have.I use a garmin in the car but not on the bike.Ussually cos i dont have any particular place to go.Although i use basecamp i dont like it much

Bike
    2022 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited FLHTK
    yeah right.....the actual number of points required is only advised at the breifing.Or earlier than that?
    Points required are already known, 100,000 out of a possible 300000 and this year 16 stops are compulsory worth 5000 ea, so you only need 4 additional stops to get points.
    Looking forward to it again, gonna give it a crack this year on the Harley, done 2 previous on a Triumph Sprint ST.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    According to my calculator ... 2000 km's in 48 hours will give you a needed average of 41.666666666 km/hr to finish in/on time. I've done six 1000 mile rallys (1635km's in 24 hours) and the clock keeps ticking from start to finish time. While you're riding/eating/sleeping ... that clock keeps ticking. Stop and your average speed drops rapidly.

The tt2000 can be looked at as being two 1000 km day rides ... ridden consecutively. Just allow time for the required checkpoint stops.

I might even give this one a go myself ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    As its from midday Friday to midday Sunday you could actually think of it as 500 one day, 1000 the second and then 500 the third. Though my preferred approach is to do as much as possible on the Friday while I'm fresh and then take it easy Sunday morning - that way I've got some spare capacity on the Sunday if I'm behind.

The speed when travelling is not the problem, being the South Island the roads are clear for the most part. The trick is to get your time at stops at the checkpoints and petrol stations down to a minimum. If you take BanditRiders example of 20 checkpoints at 5 minutes each and 10 petrol stops at 10 minutes each then that's 2 hours and 20 minutes gone riding no where. My petrol and checkpoint stops are a bit like formula 1 pit stops:-) I prefer to do this and then not worry if I have a long stop if I start to feel fatigued.

Before I did my first TT2000's I practiced doing the checkpoint stops, stopping the bike getting the t-shirt out, taking the photo, putting everything back and sorting out the directions for the next one. Felt a bit of a idiot doing it at first but I also got the process down pat.

Speaking from experience you can actually do a lot more than 2000km in the time available and still find time to sleep:-)

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    The checkpoints themselves aren't a problem ... but the flyers will be time consuming. But as all involve about 60-70 km's of off the main roads ... with little chance of being policed ...

The Kaikoura coast in darkness may be on the cards ... or not. Weather and the rebuild permitting. Still ... I'd be looking at doing that bit first.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Having checkpoints also means you have regular stops to stretch, drink, etc. The checkpoint side also means that you're just thinking about it being, say, 70km to the next checkpoint rather than how many km's you've still got to do to the finish.

On such rides ... the three things you need to be thinking of ... in order of priority.

1. The next few km's of road ahead ... in particular the 100 meters of road directly in front of you.

2. The next checkpoint.

3. Where and when you'll need fuel. Don't think too far ahead ... it'll do your head in.

A 5 liter container will give you more fuel stop options and remove the need to sidetrack to get fuel.

Bike
    2013 Multistrada
    It took me about 20 minutes to plan a route in Mapsource, I am currently 30Kms short of the required distance, and have included one of the mystery checkpoints, (#3 as it's the only one I knew off the top of my head), for a total of 123000 points. I made a concession for Danseys pass as it's achievable on a road bike with no issues. This year looks to be a good weekend run.
    Its not the destination that is important its the journey.

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    I've got my route planned out, though haven't decided which way around yet or where I'm stopping to sleep. Strangely when I reverse the route in basecamp its 20km longer anti-clockwise vs clockwise:-S

At the moment I'm planning to try and do every Adventure one but may end up having to turn back on some if I come to a river/stream crossing or a track that's too impassible for my Spyder.

I'm going to be checking a few out beforehand to see if they are possible.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    well you guys are awesome.Its been at least a couple of hours and i am still somewhere down Otago.With the help of some you tube videos i am sorta making some headway with basecamp but at times it does bizarre things like add a big loop down throgh palmerston for no expicable reason.There arent any points down there.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    ... Strangely when I reverse the route in basecamp its 20km longer anti-clockwise vs clockwise:-S
    More right-hand corners ... makes you travel further ....

Thread Information