Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Tt2000 2019

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Well tried out Ranfurly Adv Flyer (aka Danseys Pass Coach Inn) coming from the North. Unfortunately the steep sections are just too much for the Spyder with the back wheel going all over the place - that's not something you want with those drop-offs:-O It's fine when I can take my time but would be a mistake on a TT. There's also one bridge with a gap in the middle which makes things 'fun' when your on a 3-wheeler.

The southern way in is simple enough so looks like I'll be taking the long way around.

I can report that accommodation at the Coach Inn is fantastic though - certainly not suitable for TT'ing as there would be no encouragement to get going in the morning:-)

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Depending on the intended route of participants ... and the time of day they'll be in the area ... will accommodation in Twizel be needed. Even allowing for checkpoint stops ... it's only about four and a half hours south of Yaldhurst.
    all good points,but if one was intending on staying in or near twizel ....reconsider

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    all good points,but if one was intending on staying in or near twizel ....reconsider
    With a BIG rowing event in the town at the time ... unwise ...

Omarama is much better ... the pub is closer ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    I can report that accommodation at the Coach Inn is fantastic though - certainly not suitable for TT'ing as there would be no encouragement to get going in the morning:-)
    I've stayed there often... best pub in the world.... and yeah, you DON'T want to be in a hurry - it's best enjoyed in a more leisurely fashion!

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    It was a pretty nice day in North Canterbury, yesterday. Nicki and I went nowhere in particular...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	468.1 KB 
ID:	339252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	390.8 KB 
ID:	339253  

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    It was a pretty nice day in North Canterbury, yesterday. Nicki and I went nowhere in particular...
    Good to see someone is able to take advantage of the good weather...

What was the road up to the Glens of Tekoa like? When I rode in there last April, Te Koa Road was a 'mare of deep river stone gravel - I did more slithering than a snake in sand....

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by wpoll View Post
    What was the road up to the Glens of Tekoa like? When I rode in there last April, Te Koa Road was a 'mare of deep river stone gravel - I did more slithering than a snake in sand....
    It's definitely not that bad now.

Certainly the 'gravel' is more rocky than shingly, but there are 'mostly' three grooves clear of said stones (always at least two) so we could bomb along in either the left-most or centre groove at 100 without any bother at all. In the gorge area, they've been carrying out quite a lot of quarrying of the hillsides to (presumably) widen the road around the tight bends, but the surface is sealed there and I'm sure the works will be complete before February.

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar

Thumbs up Lyndon ADV Flyer - *update*

Slight change to the GPS location for the Lyndon ADV Flyer, due to an error on my part. Thanks to Racing Dave for picking it up.

The TT2000 web site has the updated information, including PDFs, maps etc.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    so is it as easy as going into basecamp ,opening that way point and re typing the co oridinates? Does that automatically shift it on my maps etc??

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    so is it as easy as going into basecamp ,opening that way point and re typing the co oridinates? Does that automatically shift it on my maps etc??
    Pretty much - yeah. Depends on how you have it set up but simply editing the waypoint coordinate should do it.

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by wpoll View Post
    Slight change to the GPS location for the Lyndon ADV Flyer, due to an error on my part. Thanks to Racing Dave for picking it up.

The TT2000 web site has the updated information, including PDFs, maps etc.
    The true location of the sign is about 2.4km closer to Lake Lyndon than the original co-ordinates indicated. It's really easy to see, even in the dark.

Yes, I know the T-shirt's not the 2019 one, I was merely timing myself between a few checkpoints and wanted to make the practice as realistic as possible.

Name:	Lyndon ADV Flyer.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	468.5 KB 
ID:	339726  

Bike
    2022 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited FLHTK
    Went for a test ride around Alexandra CP, Ranfurly flyer and CP couple of days ago to check whether accessories mountings were going to shake off and test route times. Alexandra CP is overgrown at the moment and hard to see bicycles when approaching. Malcom Taylor who has done a couple TT2000 in the past lives down there, I'm sure he'll give it a haircut if I ask him nicely.

Name:	IMG_0433.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	825.5 KB 
ID:	340217  

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairymcsweary View Post
    Went for a test ride around Alexandra CP, Ranfurly flyer and CP couple of days ago to check whether accessories mountings were going to shake off and test route times. Alexandra CP is overgrown at the moment and hard to see bicycles when approaching. Malcom Taylor who has done a couple TT2000 in the past lives down there, I'm sure he'll give it a haircut if I ask him nicely.
    Better ask more nicely - nothing's changed yet...

Further, while in the area, I checked out the Alexandra ADV Flyer at Fraser Dam. As Wayne says in the notes, the road is narrow and rutted and particularly the last km would be dodgy if it was wet. There are a couple of traps for the unwary, as far as navigation goes, once on Fraser Dam Road. That is, about halfway up, the 'main' track appears to bear left at a Y-junction. Don't be fooled; that's access for an earth-moving project up the hill; bear right. Finally, when the dam itself hoves into view, again the 'main' track appears to bear left. That's access to elsewhere; once more, bear right.

Disclaimer; the T-shirt in the photos is not 2019's one; I was just doing a realistic trial for timing purposes.

Roll on February...

Name:	14.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	373.2 KB 
ID:	340401   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	428.9 KB 
ID:	340400  

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure

As seen near the Twizel Flyer CP

Nothing to do with the TT2000 as such, but I saw this on the Mt Cook road. A burst of colour in a landscape of browns...

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	353.8 KB 
ID:	340402  

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    Nothing to do with the TT2000 as such, but I saw this on the Mt Cook road. A burst of colour in a landscape of browns...
    Nice pic, Dave.

That road is the only road where the brown and cyan on my GPS is a perfect match for the actual colours of the surrounding countryside...

Thread Information