Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: A Revival Mission...

Bike
    Exercycle
    Ok - motor's back together. I'm happy with it. If it was being campaigned at the Nationals, it'd have had loadsamoney spent. But it's going to do probably 2 -3 meetings a year max...And it's looking as it should - showing the patina of long and hard use.
    Plenty of breathers to be seen - all going via reinforced hose to a metal catch can in the riders view. As the regs of the period stated for Nationals, LOL...What do they say now ?
    The oil line up the back of the barrel is braided stainless. The OE steel line didn't like being bent to accomodate a .060in shorter barrel...I did 3 of these line sets, one's on Tony's motor and the third is on a motor I think Mark still has.
    Carbs are RS36's. Tony wanted and got 38's. On shorter circuits this was nicer to ride than Tony's - his was all up the top end.
    They're a porky bastard. 71kg - and 72HP at the wheel. Complete bike weighed back in the day, with battery and a couple of liters of fuel was 142kg.
    Tony's Pink special was actually heavier. So were most of the 400 fours....

I'd forgotten just how difficult it is timing these up. Backwards rotation and the cam ramping means nothing will stay where it's put...

Oh, the bellmouths are actually GSXR750H carb to airbox rubbers. The center two are straight but the outers are curved. They were plentiful at the time...
    Being rubber, you don't damage anything pulling the carbs off - which was every meeting when on Meth, just to clean them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	500 engine.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	338552  

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Ok - motor's back together. I'm happy with it. If it was being campaigned at the Nationals, it'd have had loadsamoney spent. But it's going to do probably 2 -3 meetings a year max...And it's looking as it should - showing the patina of long and hard use.
    Plenty of breathers to be seen - all going via reinforced hose to a metal catch can in the riders view. As the regs of the period stated for Nationals, LOL...What do they say now ?
    The oil line up the back of the barrel is braided stainless. The OE steel line didn't like being bent to accomodate a .060in shorter barrel...I did 3 of these line sets, one's on Tony's motor and the third is on a motor I think Mark still has.
    Carbs are RS36's. Tony wanted and got 38's. On shorter circuits this was nicer to ride than Tony's - his was all up the top end.
    They're a porky bastard. 71kg - and 72HP at the wheel. Complete bike weighed back in the day, with battery and a couple of liters of fuel was 142kg.

I'd forgotten just how difficult it is timing these up. Backwards rotation and the cam ramping means nothing will stay where it's put...

Oh, the bellmouths are actually GSXR750H carb to airbox rubbers. The center two are straight but the outers are curved. They were plentiful at the time...
    Being rubber, you don't damage anything pulling the carbs off - which was every meeting when on Meth, just to clean them.
    71kg, only good bucket racers come in at that or less.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    71kg, only good bucket racers come in at that or less.
    Well, I did say it was a porker..But how many buckets weigh 2X the motor ?.Having said that and bearing in mind your comment, one of Mark's favourite things while riding it was to go past RS125's on the brakes, slow enough to drop them off the power - and grunt away from them out of corners...Very satisfying.
    Locally, the late Warren Guy who fancied himself on his RS125 - and was probably the quickest here - would get sooo angry when Mark did it to him.
    As I said - Very satisfying.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Well, I did say it was a porker..But how many buckets weigh 2X the motor ?.Having said that and bearing in mind your comment, one of Mark's favourite things while riding it was to go past RS125's on the brakes, slow enough to drop them off the power - and grunt away from them out of corners...Very satisfying.
    Locally, the late Warren Guy who fancied himself on his RS125 - and was probably the quickest here - would get sooo angry when Mark did it to him.
    As I said - Very satisfying.
    Sorry to hear Warren is no longer.

Bike
    Racing ones
    looking good Greg

Are you going to run it on methanol ?

Bike
    husaberg

I went to pick up a GT380 bottom end the other day, i would swear its at least twice the weight of a RD yamaha bottom end.

Pretty sure those bigger Kawakas gpx/zzr 9,10.11's were one of the first engines i seen with through under the mains breathing do the little ones have that as well?
    Tonys one had astralites or Dymaags didný it?

Also
    what happened to the supercharged one? Whose was that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Triplenut View Post
    looking good Greg

Are you going to run it on methanol ?
    Currently the carbs are set for petrol - Methanol on the pension would be a bit like affording a P addiction....
    I know where the meth needles were put - but I have no idea if I can still access them since Budget changed hands.

Edit - yes, the needles were where I'd left them in about 1992. But they are actually for meth/toluene blend - which I read the rules now as being illegal.
    You appear to only have two alternatives - straight petrol or straight methanol. The fuel testing specs don't accomodate blends.
    Back in the day meth/petrol blends were quite popular and the ethanol blended petrol now would probably be a very good base as it contains blending agents.
    The old mixes used to have a limited life as they'd separate out...
    We found the meth/tol blend to keep really well. Also you ran a mildly rich petrol setting rather than the uber-rich jetting of meth. The needle jet for example, stayed at the petrol 2.80mm where on straight meth it would go to 3.20mm.

It actually came from Ford's first go at Indy with the pushrod V8. Meth/tol gave 2% less HP than straight Meth - but 20% better mileage. One less pit stop in 500 miles...I suspect it was developed in midgets in the 50's by a guy Clay Smith who was noted for winning long distance midget races. He finished up working for Ford on the Indy and GT40 projects. Killed at a mile dirt race - in the pits - by a car flipping over the rails.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I went to pick up a GT380 bottom end the other day, i would swear its at least twice the weight of a RD yamaha bottom end.

Pretty sure those bigger Kawakas gpx/zzr 9,10.11's were one of the first engines i seen with through under the mains breathing do the little ones have that as well?
    Tonys one had astralites or Dymaags didný it?

Also
    what happened to the supercharged one? Whose was that?
    Yes, the bearing webs have provision for inter-cylinder breathing. At the 89 WSB round at Manfield, I'd also built a ZX7 engine for Rob Lewis. Once the F3 bike was seen by the Doyles running TKA and they realised I'd built the only other ZX7 there, I got pulled aside for a talk... They showed me drawings of how to transfer port the ZX7 cases and barrel. Basically a 20mm square hole between 1-2 and 3-4, half in the cases half in the barrel. Allegedly worth 3-4 HP at around 6 grand. The early GSXR750's had bigger passages cast in...

Tony's bike had Astralites. He saw an opening to make money and imported probably most of the Astralites that are in NZ.

The blown bike, I built. For all purposes it was Mark Taylor's Once he'd gone TZ it sat with an unblown engine in it till Kirby asked for a loan of the roller. Trev wanted a presence for Budget at the first meeting of the extended Ruapuna. One of Kirby's ex speedway GSXR1100 engines was slotted into the roller by Mark Robertson - the roller was after all basically a GSXR750J so the 1100 dropped in easy. Kirby's Marvics and a set of RS36's and the job's done...
    Mark Robertson rode it. I wasn't at that meeting but I was told all about it....Throttle stuck open at the end of the front straight. Mark R laid it down and rolled off but it stood up and kept going. Hit a pile of dirt and launched like an Exocet missile over the fence and away...The bits were all over the next paddock and also up a tree...End of that one.

Bike
    Exercycle
    More progress. The forks are done. New seals and re-oiled. Seals I could do simply by dropping the sliders off but the oil was a tad harder...They have top caps retained by wire circlips - std EX Kawasaki stanchions. But we added ride height adjusters into the top caps which gives sfa area to push on to drop the caps to the point where you can even see the circlips...Last time it was done, it was a 2 person job. On my own, no...so after reassembly, I pulled the covers over the antidive holes and put the oil in through there. One leaked of course...now sorted. Sliders are GSXR400 which drop onto the Kawa stanchions - well with adaptor bushes for the bottom damper screws. Suzuki 10mm holes, Kawa 8mm bolts.
    They sit in GSXR750J triple clamps bushed to suit the smaller stanchions. The offset is pretty much the same as the Kawa originals - but we needed the width to accomodate the GSXR front wheel and twin discs. From memory, either Mark or I swapped in a stem from my scrap box which had the right bearing sizes.

One thing I didn't want to have to do is change the chain size. We used 530 - remember that late 80's 530 was just coming good and smaller sizes were crap..
    Going to have to change to 520 as I can't find a good/affordable 530. The 530 on it was free - it was the spare chain from Kirby's 1100 so was top quality...
    Will remachine the sprockets to suit...

I'll get the wheels in after a cleanup of the discs. I'm always happier putting the engine back in something sitting on wheels. Engine in maybe this weekend.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Engine in thanks to the kindness of some visitors - they didn't expect that. LOL. Now just piecing everything back onto it with fresh nuts and washers where needed. The pipe and the brakes are the last major jobs - and I'm waiting till I'm in the right mood for the brake work...
    The pipe is disgusting. Really needs gritblasting but the budget says wire buff.

Found this pic today. Mark in full flight in I think the first season. 18 inch rear Dymag and 750 swingarm say very early on anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mark and the 500.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	338649  

Bike
    Exercycle
    Pipe's done. Dirty job but....Anyway, before I put it on I thought I'd better do the back brake setup as it's easier to refit without the pipe in the way.

The M/c is dead basic. diecast piston with only one cup on it - and that's not at the working end. 14mm bore so the 1/2in one Rob donated doesn't have interchangeable guts. Piston came out without too much hassle and the bore should be OK with a light hone. The one cup is intact and looks good. Fingers crossed....It's all soaking prior to a repaint and reassembly.

The rear caliper is actually the OE front one. A two piston sliding arrangement hung on a home made carrier. It stripped in good condition. A clean and reassemble and it's done. But I need pads for it....Well I suppose as they're actually the originals from first purchase they've lasted quite well....But if I had a dollar for every rider who told me "I don't use the rear brake" I could easily afford the pads....

Bike
    Exercycle
    Work has not ceased....But the rear brake is proving just as much of a prick to bleed now as it was originally....
    You've got to put the caliper on a plate substitute for the disc well below wheel level - but in it's designed orientation. Bleed screw uppermost.
    M/c is working fine but getting all the air out even with a vacuum bleeder is proving f'n near impossible. Still, I did it once before...

Pulled the fronts apart. Don't think I'll have to kit the front M/c, it still had good fluid in it and seems to work OK. So it's clean up the calipers.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    brakes are my least favourite thing to work on.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    suzuki
    Work has not ceased....But the rear brake is proving just as much of a prick to bleed now as it was originally....
    You've got to put the caliper on a plate substitute for the disc well below wheel level - but in it's designed orientation. Bleed screw uppermost.
    M/c is working fine but getting all the air out even with a vacuum bleeder is proving f'n near impossible. Still, I did it once before...

Pulled the fronts apart. Don't think I'll have to kit the front M/c, it still had good fluid in it and seems to work OK. So it's clean up the calipers.
    i force a syringe full in from the bottom, then use it as an open cylinder and bleed both ways a few times, ie pump the brake so fluid air goes into the syringe which is raised up via a tube, let it settle, then pump it the other way.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    i force a syringe full in from the bottom, then use it as an open cylinder and bleed both ways a few times, ie pump the brake so fluid air goes into the syringe which is raised up via a tube, let it settle, then pump it the other way.
    A method I use, and it saves fluid, is to pump the caliper Pistons out as far as I dare, then hold the caliper so the brake hose banjo is at the highest point, then retract the Pistons back in, forcing fluid & any air back to the master cylinder.
    This can be repeated often with no mess & no fluid usage.
    You need to sit the resivoir cap on to prevent the fluid that comes up the port from hosing out the top.
    I really enjoy working on brakes, surprised how many people don't.

Thread Information