Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: A Revival Mission...

Bike
    Exercycle
    That's an interesting method. We all seem to have our own ways of doing it...

One of the problems here is that the vertical M/c has a side entry and a top exit with a banjo and an immediate downward turn on the hose.
    I may try angling the whole rearset assembly a tad.
    It's not helped by having to attatch a temporary reservoir to the short hose which is the reservoir when in use....If you don't do this, you're running out of fluid every 20 seconds or so.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Right - after a couple of side issues, reviving the rideon so as to mow the acres (worthy of a thread of it's own....) and a wounded hand (healing, thanks for asking) I got pissed off at this rear brake. Looked around the stored stuff - she calls it junk...and found a M/c on a swingarm which came with the FZR250 stuff from Flettner. Believed to be a latish GSX250 arm, brake and wheel, the M/c had the right bolt spacing to go on the 500. It's 1/2in bore rather than 14mm but it had good fluid in it....It was earmarked for another project but....
    Anyway, 10min after fitting it, it was bled and working. Bit more powerful than before - but everyone tells me "I don't use the back brake" so fuckit.

The pipe stays as is. We did some dyno work with the downdraft head engine and found that there was more power with bigger OD headers. This is a restoration not a redevelopment so it stays.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	500 rear done.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	338882  

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Great fun watching and reading all of this. Reminds me of a few of the projects I've done of the years - the satisfaction gained of making stuff work again is great eh!

I guess you are aiming for the CAMS SC in December? I'll be down so hopefully we'll get to see it.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    Great fun watching and reading all of this. Reminds me of a few of the projects I've done of the years - the satisfaction gained of making stuff work again is great eh!

I guess you are aiming for the CAMS SC in December? I'll be down so hopefully we'll get to see it.
    Yes, aiming for the SCF. What are you bringing down ?

It looks like this will be paraded. I've made contact with Mark Taylor - who coincidentally has just been rebuilt himself....He needs gentle running in so parading should fit the bill.

Front brakes are rebuilt and awaiting bleeding. Hororata swap meet tomorrow so they'll have to wait.
    What I initially thought was a seized M/c turned out to be the bloody lever seized....

Bike
    Greg

At this stage my TZ350F McIntosh that I have raced for the last 21 years. Will be at least 2 more McIntosh TZ350's in the container along with a well ridden TR3 that I know about. We had all 6 TZ350 McIntoshes together a couple of years ago. I'm in contact with Dave R regularly and are currying guys up here to come down and make use of the support being offered get a good crop of bikes from yup here. I sent an email on Sunday to every old bike racer in my email address book, who lives north of Taupo.

I've promised my 750 to Yamaha NZ for their stand at the bike show the prior weekend, so it's staying up here. As much as I'd like to bring it down , the container leaves before the show, not after and the excess baggage on the plane trip may be a bit over the top! Added to that, the 350 is a good old bus that I really enjoy racing, but not ridden to any real extent in the last couple of years.

Bike
    Exercycle
    The 350 should be fun on Levels. It's a "levelling" type of circuit. I've a customer who usually rides a 650/750 Kawasaki four and almost invariably finishes up in a little battlegroup with Pero and Paul Mclauchlan on TZ350's. They have fun.

Last time I saw a TZ750 on Levels was the Marlboro Series....

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    The 350 should be fun on Levels. It's a "levelling" type of circuit. I've a customer who usually rides a 650/750 Kawasaki four and almost invariably finishes up in a little battlegroup with Pero and Paul Mclauchlan on TZ350's. They have fun.

Last time I saw a TZ750 on Levels was the Marlboro Series....
    what about howard gregorys sidecar or does that not count?

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    what about howard gregorys sidecar or does that not count?
    Um, have to admit I'd forgotten that - but at that time I wasn't paying much attention to the chairs. I wouldn't have realised what he was using...

Both the short Ruapuna and short Levels as used during the Marlboro series were visibly hard work on the 750's. Watching them it was a very high speed precisely timed wrestling match. Get the timing wrong and you were gone.
    Magee on the 500 was probably just as fast a couple of years back - but it was so much more civilised....And quieter.

Bike
    suzuki
    Um, have to admit I'd forgotten that - but at that time I wasn't paying much attention to the chairs. I wouldn't have realised what he was using...

Both the short Ruapuna and short Levels as used during the Marlboro series were visibly hard work on the 750's. Watching them it was a very high speed precisely timed wrestling match. Get the timing wrong and you were gone.
    Magee on the 500 was probably just as fast a couple of years back - but it was so much more civilised....And quieter.
    yeah those un baffled two smokes from the 70's must have killed a few peoples hearing. there was a tz750 there last year, from Tane's motueka motorcycles

Bike
    it was a very high speed precisely timed wrestling match. Get the timing wrong and you were gone.
    That describes riding the 750 in general

Bike
    Exercycle
    Right - got my camera back. It goes walkabout.

Front brakes are bled and fitted. Easier to bleed these off the bike as it's so tight around the inner bleed nipples. Still wiring to do though - which can wait till some newer rubber goes on. What's on it now was fitted in '92 for Brighton. As stated previously, Impulse calipers. The adaptors are steel as they had to be 6mm...

Pic of the LHS shows how I did the gear linkage. Hanging it off the motor is quite useful and might help someone sometime. Obviously still a chain to go on too...

Pic of the tank breather again might help someone who needs a high volume breather for alky. The plastic disc sits down on the tips of what's left after slots are cut. Air can pass around it. Soon as air or fuel goes the other way, it's hard up against a flat surface and nothing can pass. Surprisingly sensitive too.
    I did two of these for Kirby's alky 1100 - and there were no fuel flow problems when it was timed at 190mph at a flying quarter...Remember in the 80's you couldn't go on trademe and buy a one way breather. Made in brass cos the hex alloy I could get then was shit to machine.

Waiting now for an ignitor plug and some harness from Pete Sales. Once upon a time I had an adaptor piece which let me use a std ignitor on this harness. Lost in the mists of time....The Electronic R&D boxes used a different plug setup. If memory serves, I kept the wire colours the same as OE for the same functions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tank Breather.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	339016   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	500 Left side.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	339017   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brakes done.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	339018  

Bike
    Exercycle
    Ignitor plug and piece of harness turned up today. Some dicking around and a prolonged soldering session saw the 9 wires inserted into the two 4 pin plugs on the harness. In the right order even ! For those who can count, two of the wires going into the ignitor are earths so can be amalgamated...

Did the old trick of pulling the sidecover and flicking the pickups with a fat screwdriver - and it sparks. Easier than pushing....

New HT leads and caps went on as a matter of course. The caps were the 1986 originals....Didn't even test them, in the bin.
    The NGK 10.5's fitted cleaned up well and went back in.
    Even got the oil light working. I was a tad surprised to find I hadn't wired in a neutral light. Everything since has had one.
    Won't know if the tacho is working till it's fired. Hoping it's not solid rat piss.

Bike
    husaberg
    Ignitor plug and piece of harness turned up today. Some dicking around and a prolonged soldering session saw the 9 wires inserted into the two 4 pin plugs on the harness. In the right order even ! For those who can count, two of the wires going into the ignitor are earths so can be amalgamated...

Did the old trick of pulling the sidecover and flicking the pickups with a fat screwdriver - and it sparks. Easier than pushing....

New HT leads and caps went on as a matter of course. The caps were the 1986 originals....Didn't even test them, in the bin.
    The NGK 10.5's fitted cleaned up well and went back in.
    Even got the oil light working. I was a tad surprised to find I hadn't wired in a neutral light. Everything since has had one.
    Won't know if the tacho is working till it's fired. Hoping it's not solid rat piss.
    SO it runs as a TCI with a set of magnetic pick ups?
    ie battery coil without the points
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    SO it runs as a TCI with a set of magnetic pick ups?
    ie battery coil without the points
    Yeah, the Electronic R&D boxes simply had a more agressive advance curve and a higher rev limit. Both the ones we had died of old age.
    Last time I had a spark was around '96 when I took it to a Canty club day at Ruapuna to give someone a ride. From memory, two bangs and that was all she wrote. Dead electronics. Parked up after that.
    Does a day's racing fine on an 8 amp hour battery, total loss of course.

Any luck finding that article on Tony's bike ?

Bike
    husaberg
    Yeah, the Electronic R&D boxes simply had a more agressive advance curve and a higher rev limit. Both the ones we had died of old age.
    Last time I had a spark was around '96 when I took it to a Canty club day at Ruapuna to give someone a ride. From memory, two bangs and that was all she wrote. Dead electronics. Parked up after that.
    Does a day's racing fine on an 8 amp hour battery, total loss of course.

Any luck finding that article on Tony's bike ?
    Not yet i suspect i put it to one side
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information