Page 16 of 62 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Free speech.

Bike
    R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Very relevant: https://fee.org/articles/the-ideolog...-re-saying-is/

"It is tempting for both sides to just dismiss the other as “wrong” or “stupid,” but what we have to understand is that, in conversations on topics like this, the ideological divide has become so deep that, in a sense, both sides are speaking a different language. Thus, when someone like Cathy Newman hears someone like Dr. Peterson speak, she’s not just trying to manipulate the conversation by putting words in his mouth; her ideology actually leads her to hear what she claims he is saying."
    Exactly, we see it again and again with partisan politics and topics. It can be useful to question the policy/topic in detail to find the premise where things differ, it also exposes those opinions which are founded on irrational beliefs. The difference in premise can sometimes be used as a Rosetta Stone to translate discussions back into something meaningful. More often it seems this is not desired, as disagreement is seen to be more desirable, ala husaberg's blithering about red vs blue, and katman.

Bike
    Blade '12
    Some more interesting speakers coming to D'auckland. Douglas Murray and Dr Cornel West... what will "molotov" Morse and her cronies do?????????????

https://www.news.com.au/technology/i...aa302e5d549485

Bike
    Sold

Actual speech Queensland Sen. Fraser Anning of the fringe Katter’s Australian Party.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    What do I need to do to vote for Don Brash as Kiwi of the year?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/106...er-of-the-year
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Sold

Weapons of mass destruction - means different strokes to different folk?

Here is an excellent 2003 BBC documentary on Israel’s nukes and WMDs, and its persecution of Mordechai Vanunu. This is an example of mainstream media actually doing real journalism instead of propaganda. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk_6CCZ0gCY … We hear a lot about Iranian nuclear ambitions! - What about Israel - the constant accuser?

Googled Where is Vanunu now?:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordechai_Vanunu

Bike
    Blade '12

Execute everybody on the various panels and take over as dictator probably. The sight of woke heads exploding throughout the country would definitely make all the trouble worthwhile though

ETA "Anyone could be nominated for an award and every year at least one nominee was popularising, he said." Yeah... I seriously fucking doubt he said that asshole.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez

I agree that things look separatist now in the name of inclusion. Yes, that sentence is really contradictory. But if we dont all make special effort to get minorities involved, the outcome is worse.

I truly believe in total equality. I think the world would be a better place with no borders, acceptance should be unequivocal for all walks of life....and then I get stuck.

Both sides of the coin on which I'm stuck:

Alcohol is a mainstream addictive substance. Accepted by nearly all as a right of choice.

Meth on the other hand, is widely referred to with the same reaction as Hitler supporting.

I like meth. Had a few good shindigs with like minded folk who 'light a bowl' every now and again, to enhance the experience of enjoying each other's company and dropping inhibition.

So why cant I do it legally? We make up the majority of people who have imbibed. We dont hurt anyone, and we certainly don't do it when we have responsibilities in the next 48 hours.

Flip side to that, kiddy fiddlers prolly feel the same way. If we can accept LBGQT (I think the acronym is correct there), then they quite like think that one day they should be accepted also.

So universal acceptance isnt a reality...and my utopian civilization has just fallen entirely apart.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonhed View Post
    Execute everybody on the various panels and take over as dictator probably. The sight of woke heads exploding throughout the country would definitely make all the trouble worthwhile though

ETA "Anyone could be nominated for an award and every year at least one nominee was popularising, he said." Yeah... I seriously fucking doubt he said that asshole.
    Are you speaking purely as an antagonist, or do you feel strongly enough about that to believe it?

PS, I'm just enough Heineken in, to be woke as fuck right now....it'll pass.

Bike
    2007 Suzuki SV1000s
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I agree that things look separatist now in the name of inclusion. Yes, that sentence is really contradictory. But if we dont all make special effort to get minorities involved, the outcome is worse.

I truly believe in total equality. I think the world would be a better place with no borders, acceptance should be unequivocal for all walks of life....and then I get stuck.

Both sides of the coin on which I'm stuck:

Alcohol is a mainstream addictive substance. Accepted by nearly all as a right of choice.

Meth on the other hand, is widely referred to with the same reaction as Hitler supporting.

I like meth. Had a few good shindigs with like minded folk who 'light a bowl' every now and again, to enhance the experience of enjoying each other's company and dropping inhibition.

So why cant I do it legally? We make up the majority of people who have imbibed. We dont hurt anyone, and we certainly don't do it when we have responsibilities in the next 48 hours.

Flip side to that, kiddy fiddlers prolly feel the same way. If we can accept LBGQT (I think the acronym is correct there), then they quite like think that one day they should be accepted also.

So universal acceptance isnt a reality...and my utopian civilization has just fallen entirely apart.
    seems like you're more than a little more messesd up than the things you mention

Bike
    Blade '12
    Are you speaking purely as an antagonist, or do you feel strongly enough about that to believe it?

PS, I'm just enough Heineken in, to be woke as fuck right now....it'll pass.
    Was ironic dude. Of course I don't think we should execute everybody so Ocean can take over... I'd be waaay fucking better as dictator.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    It's called affirmative action, was all the rage in the US a generation ago.

Didn't work there either.

So here's the thing: almost everyone can agree that equal opportunities to advance your quality of life, and that of your family is a good thing. Almost the antitheses of slavery; the absolute right to make whatever you can of your life, AND the responsibility to accept whatever costs and benefits that entails.

But soooo many people conflate that with the argument that (insert minority group of your choice here) don't have quite as good a life as (insert designated capitalist meme here) and therefore shit ain't fair. They want equality of outcomes, regardless of personal choices.

They often point to certain Kiwi sub-cultures as being "disadvantaged" across generations. And insofar as some cultures teach their kids how to put themselves in an "advantaged" position better than others, they're right. But I sorta think the difference is mostly around the cultural perception of what money is. Unless you're actually taught that money is the result of personal productivity then you're always going to have this cargo cult style belief that you're entitled to your fair share, but that some rich prick's got yours.

So in all of the redistribution of wealth, all of the contemporary justifications in favour of one social welfare scheme or targeted subsidy or another, no matter what you personally think about it, one thing remains true: for everything received without having earned it there's someone that earned it that had it taken from them.

No matter how acceptable you find that, you have to ask yourself whether just the most productive 10% or so of the country are quite as happy to have had that much of their earnings taken from them. Beyond a certain point democracy devolves into the majority voting themselves advantages at a direct cost to a minority. And the further we go down that rabbit hole the more it's presented by those on the taking side as the fair thing to do. It's just "the system" that allows rich pricks to accumulate wealth at the expense of the poor.

And the outcome? Read the news, those rich pricks simply either work less hard, or work elsewhere. Which pretty much defines the limit to how "progressive" you can get before the positive feedback effect of discouraging productivity results in less money for everyone. It's cyclic. And it's disappointing, because if we simply focused on teaching everyone the best way they can be as productive as they want or need to be and that they're responsible for their own shit we'd all be a fucking sight better off.

TLDR? Stop expecting others to be responsible for the cost of choices you made.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonhed View Post
    Was ironic dude. Of course I don't think we should execute everybody so Ocean can take over... I'd be waaay fucking better as dictator.
    Oh fuck yeah, I keep expecting people to behave in their own best interest, in spite of decades of evidence to the contrary.

Edit: There's scope for some executions though. And maybe some decent smacks around the head here and there...

Bike
    Yo momma

That lady looks as maori as the Queen of Englands tits.

Bike
    It was on the good
    I'd tap it.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    I'd tap it.
    I wouldn't even use yours...

Thread Information