Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are so many race bikes non compliant with the numbers rule?

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post

Fuck, I failed a Britten at a NZGP scrutineering
    What for????

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    What for????
    For good reason. The steering damper was the steering limit stops.

When things had quietened down, Broz - who'd made the damper - came and thanked me. The team had known it was wrong but John wouldn't let them change it. They were back pretty quick from the workshop. I suspect they'd had proper stops ready made and waiting.

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    For good reason. The steering damper was the steering limit stops.

When things had quietened down, Broz - who'd made the damper - came and thanked me. The team had known it was wrong but John wouldn't let them change it. They were back pretty quick from the workshop. I suspect they'd had proper stops ready made and waiting.
    good on ya, the rules should be the same for everyone,
    i have heard a very senior steward at the time telling me the story about telling the rider (Stroud from memory) to short shift near the sound meter so it would not set it off,

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    vital, last weekend i flagmarshalled at the hairpin at manfeild, one bike was blowing shit out of it, absolutely no number on one side of the bike, took several laps to identify it before calling it in, didn't help that there were two number 17's in the event but they were two different styles. Additionally, the marshalls are told the last bike through each race, so they need to confirm that that bike is through, how do you do that when some chimp has letterbox numbers on their bike?
    i agree with you, why do you think the club officials don't enforce it?

and the doubling up on numbers is also rampant in both sides of the sport, with lap timing systems being able to score them now its another thing that is just not cared about

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post
    i agree with you, why do you think the club officials don't enforce it?
    Generational change in the guys willing to act as officials. And an unpleasant readiness on the part of riders to argue the toss about rules they've never read....

Bike
    moped
    Generational change in the guys willing to act as officials. And an unpleasant readiness on the part of riders to argue the toss about rules they've never read....
    Hit the nail on the head there Grumph.

Problem is racing today is about a numbers game, and the Clubs are not wanting to turn riders away or to loose out on riders giving the sport away, and getting shitty about all the bloody rules that are being enforced these days and riders trying to DEFINE them.

It all comes back to the riders reading the dam rules and understanding them, education. Very hard for some though.

As Spyda said the numbers rule has not been changed for a long time, only some of the background colours have, pretty simple really.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    yes Grump, never had this crap in ACU days.
    Used to be if you failed at scrutineering you were sent away to fix whatever problem there was.
    (lol first time I made numbers up, I used a pot lid for the front. Then of course further on we had huge boards ! That was the rules.)

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    We get some interesting ones over here. Plenty of gaffatape numbers on the front of bikes and/or no numbers on the tails or sides.

Apparently we've got a colour system like in the MNZ Supp. Regs but I've not seen anyone actually use/pay attention to it.

I don't know why people would find it hard to follow these guidelines? They're pretty straight forward..

https://www.mnz.co.nz/docs/default-s...).pdf?sfvrsn=2

The Motorcycling Australia regs are pretty much the same. It's not that hard
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    a red heap
    Isn't it who has the biggest chequebook can do what they want?

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    Isn't it who has the biggest chequebook can do what they want?
    That doesn't always work either, LOL. I failed Scott Buckley's TZ when he tried to put it through on it's wets - without brake discs.
    I explained quite gently (for me...) that I did indeed want to see if he had discs for it....And fitted please.

It's the guys you can see as they come up the line with the attitude...You can read the body language and know that their bike will have something wrong.
    You can also see that they're going to argue....

But some of the current scrutineers need waking up too. A customer bike was failed on the caliper lockwiring. This scrutineer wanted to insist on it being done a certain way. He contended it was to stop the fastener coming undone. I contended it was to show when it had moved....How can a 1mm piece of stainless wire retain a bolt done up to 18 ft/lb torque when it's breaking strain is about 1/4 that ? A lot of my lockwiring now is copper wire, LOL.

Bike
    a red heap
    That doesn't always work either, LOL. I failed Scott Buckley's TZ when he tried to put it through on it's wets - without brake discs.
    I explained quite gently (for me...) that I did indeed want to see if he had discs for it....And fitted please.

It's the guys you can see as they come up the line with the attitude...You can read the body language and know that their bike will have something wrong.
    You can also see that they're going to argue....

But some of the current scrutineers need waking up too. A customer bike was failed on the caliper lockwiring. This scrutineer wanted to insist on it being done a certain way. He contended it was to stop the fastener coming undone. I contended it was to show when it had moved....How can a 1mm piece of stainless wire retain a bolt done up to 18 ft/lb torque when it's breaking strain is about 1/4 that ? A lot of my lockwiring now is copper wire, LOL.
    I've had the lockwire argument with quite alot of people. It does no more than marking the bolts with a white pen.

If a bolt is done up correctly it shouldn't come undone.

I've lost count of all the unwired sump plugs I see all over the road on the way to work.......

Bike
    BSA A10
    Should have just pumped the front brake master cylinder till the pistons fell out and then told him to fix his brakes
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.

I disassembled a TZ once and most bolts were loose, but wired. The alloy had fretted under the bolts in a number of places they had been in place so long, but never retorqued or checked...I dunno how they hadn't moved , especially is it was galv gardening wire....The wire was just stopping the bolt unwinding further and jumping over board and many of the actual items were holding on via the shear strength of the bolt, not the clamping force the bolt s supposed to create. The prior owner was assuming that it was wired, it would be fine....the bike probably jangled when it ran it was so loose!

Bike
    2001 zx9
    When you are half way to aus at 30,000 feet be comforted that there is a lot of nice tidy lockwiring stopping things jiggling loose and falling off the engines and wings . . .

Bike
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    We have a rule book, but a lot of riders simply don't even bother to look at it just put numbers on however they feel like, why? don't they get that numbers actually are very important for the sport, safety etc?
    Show me a picture of a bike you consider has legal numbers as an example

Thread Information