Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: Speeduino 2T EFI Project

Bike
    Daelim besbi 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexxa View Post
    The pwm control of the fuel pump allow you to don't have the mechanical regulator because the fuel pump is controlled by a duty cycle from arduino or something else.
    There are a lot of impulses between 0 and 12 volt to the pump. The more their frequency is high the more the pump will go faster.
    So if the pressure gauge indicates 4 bar and in your imposed table you want 5 bar at that rpm, the duty cycle of the pump will be increased to have 5 bar on the fuel line.
    This in a closed loop control.

Did you understand?
    I had doubts if I could be wrong when affirming that you have worked on the RSW500, but after analyzing other mechanical injection systems (in the way you indicated to work the pump I thought it was mechanical and not electronic).
    Analyze the injection system of MRD, which uses a mechanical pump (pinion) but the injection of this system is continuous injection like that of K-jetronic (it uses an electronic pump "with constant pressure" and a pressure regulator to supply the desired flow) and not sequential injection as you describe.
    Another piece of information that makes me think that I am not mistaken is that you indicate the use of a pressure gauge to control the injection pressure and that I have only seen in the RSW500, it is part E99061 in the throttle body.

Bike
    1976 Yamaha RD400C

Introducing myself and project

Hello.. I just sat and read all 24 pages and it is a fascinating read!

I am in Ottawa, Canada and am about to set out on my own two-stroke efi project.

I have a 1976 RD400C completely stock.... just the way I like them. They arent horse power machines in stock trim but they are fantastic for cruising around town. Id never mess with intake or exhausts or porting because I love the torque right in the lower and mid rpms. Yamaha says 40hp stock but I suspect it's really 35 or so.

At this point I have purchased a Microsquirt because it comes in a small sealed unit with water tight amp seal for the wiring harness. I plan on not only controlling fuel but also ign curve. I'll need more power for fuel pump so I have upgraded to a VAPE ignition system. It produces 150 watts and now the ignition is CDI with a VR sensor. There is no ECU in this setup... I have it set at a static 20 degrees (2.3mm BTDC on this bike) The microsquirt will be able to take direct control using the VR as a signal in and also will also directly control the ignitor circuit in the CDI/coil. Microsquirt can log two EGT channels so I have also purchased those. I will also have a CHT sensor under one of the plugs to be used for start up enrichment and also logging purposes. I have a heated Wideband O2 sensor that I will use as well but as we know... the readings may not be an accurate picture of what's happening in the combustion chamber. An intake air temp sensor as well.

First thing in my plan is build a hydraulic gear pump dyno with a needle valve to control rpm. I have everything needed and will soon start welding a frame to hold it all together. The plan is make it so it all fits between the swing arm rails and the stock chain will drive the gear pump. The pump will be able to rotate a little... there will be a 12inch arm attached to the pump and it will press a load sensor that will also feed into the microsquirt and be logged. I will trick it to think it is something else but it outputs a 0-5v signal so thats what matters. I have two stepper motors... one will manage the needle valve and the other, the throttle cable. I have written but not tested code for the Arduino to go to a specific throttle % and hold it there while the one controlling the needle valve will use engine rpm to open/close the valve in small increments to keep the engine at desired RPM.

The plan.... set arduino to hold certain cell value on fuel table and matching cell in spark advance table then I will monitor EGT and O2 and torque produced as I add/remove fuel to achieve good power but safe power then I will add/remove spark advance as it plots the torque curve so I can see where it makes the most power then remove a couple degrees to leave it on the safe side of things. I am thinking about installing a knock sensor to prevent me from destroying the motor during ignition tuning but its an air cooled motor covered in fins and there is no where to really put it... plus I dont want to weld anything to the engine. However... it is my understanding that high octane pump fuel will deter knock and allow me to advance spark enough where I will see torque production drop off a little without actually knocking. Then I can chose the part of the curve before the peak and set the timing there. Lots to learn and loads will go wrong but im hoping to see just how strong a stock setup can be. Also hoping to tune it to be a smooth ride with no surging or bucking etc. You can never tune this out of an RD400... i have mine pretty damn good but i have a really rich low rpm do achieve it. smokes like a chimney at idle.

I am planning on Alpha-N as I ran a vacuum signal test run the bike with the carbs and it looked like a jagged saw tooth. Completely unusable. I used the oil injection nipples on the carbs to get the vacuum so.... maybe when the R6 throttle bodies are on the bike that have actual vacuum ports it will perform better. Testing will tell. I also have ITB control method which is method that uses Alpha-N and switches over to VE assuming the signal is more consistent in higher rpms.

I love what you are doing here... just wanted to introduce myself and share what I have planned. I'll pop in from time to time and share anything I have learned
    -John

Bike
    Daelim besbi 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RD400C View Post
    Hello.. I just sat and read all 24 pages and it is a fascinating read!

I am in Ottawa, Canada and am about to set out on my own two-stroke efi project.

I have a 1976 RD400C completely stock.... just the way I like them. They arent horse power machines in stock trim but they are fantastic for cruising around town. Id never mess with intake or exhausts or porting because I love the torque right in the lower and mid rpms. Yamaha says 40hp stock but I suspect it's really 35 or so.

At this point I have purchased a Microsquirt because it comes in a small sealed unit with water tight amp seal for the wiring harness. I plan on not only controlling fuel but also ign curve. I'll need more power for fuel pump so I have upgraded to a VAPE ignition system. It produces 150 watts and now the ignition is CDI with a VR sensor. There is no ECU in this setup... I have it set at a static 20 degrees (2.3mm BTDC on this bike) The microsquirt will be able to take direct control using the VR as a signal in and also will also directly control the ignitor circuit in the CDI/coil. Microsquirt can log two EGT channels so I have also purchased those. I will also have a CHT sensor under one of the plugs to be used for start up enrichment and also logging purposes. I have a heated Wideband O2 sensor that I will use as well but as we know... the readings may not be an accurate picture of what's happening in the combustion chamber. An intake air temp sensor as well.

First thing in my plan is build a hydraulic gear pump dyno with a needle valve to control rpm. I have everything needed and will soon start welding a frame to hold it all together. The plan is make it so it all fits between the swing arm rails and the stock chain will drive the gear pump. The pump will be able to rotate a little... there will be a 12inch arm attached to the pump and it will press a load sensor that will also feed into the microsquirt and be logged. I will trick it to think it is something else but it outputs a 0-5v signal so thats what matters. I have two stepper motors... one will manage the needle valve and the other, the throttle cable. I have written but not tested code for the Arduino to go to a specific throttle % and hold it there while the one controlling the needle valve will use engine rpm to open/close the valve in small increments to keep the engine at desired RPM.

The plan.... set arduino to hold certain cell value on fuel table and matching cell in spark advance table then I will monitor EGT and O2 and torque produced as I add/remove fuel to achieve good power but safe power then I will add/remove spark advance as it plots the torque curve so I can see where it makes the most power then remove a couple degrees to leave it on the safe side of things. I am thinking about installing a knock sensor to prevent me from destroying the motor during ignition tuning but its an air cooled motor covered in fins and there is no where to really put it... plus I dont want to weld anything to the engine. However... it is my understanding that high octane pump fuel will deter knock and allow me to advance spark enough where I will see torque production drop off a little without actually knocking. Then I can chose the part of the curve before the peak and set the timing there. Lots to learn and loads will go wrong but im hoping to see just how strong a stock setup can be. Also hoping to tune it to be a smooth ride with no surging or bucking etc. You can never tune this out of an RD400... i have mine pretty damn good but i have a really rich low rpm do achieve it. smokes like a chimney at idle.

I am planning on Alpha-N as I ran a vacuum signal test run the bike with the carbs and it looked like a jagged saw tooth. Completely unusable. I used the oil injection nipples on the carbs to get the vacuum so.... maybe when the R6 throttle bodies are on the bike that have actual vacuum ports it will perform better. Testing will tell. I also have ITB control method which is method that uses Alpha-N and switches over to VE assuming the signal is more consistent in higher rpms.

I love what you are doing here... just wanted to introduce myself and share what I have planned. I'll pop in from time to time and share anything I have learned
    -John
    Hi John. Welcome, it is a good approach, I wish you success

Bike
    1975 Hodaka Wombat
    Welcome. My only criticism is of your test method. An inertial dyno is not only easier to build; it is much easier to run. We typically made up to 50 individual test runs in an afternoon. Each run generates a full power curve. This lets you test a lot of changes in a short time. We ran one test series on a water brake dyno. It took all afternoon and generated only one partial power curve. See http://performancetrends.com/tdkmotorsports/index.html for more information. We used the Performance Trends dyno data logger, but there are others.

Lohring Miller

Bike
    1976 Yamaha RD400C
    Quote Originally Posted by lohring View Post
    Welcome. My only criticism is of your test method. An inertial dyno is not only easier to build; it is much easier to run. We typically made up to 50 individual test runs in an afternoon. Each run generates a full power curve. This lets you test a lot of changes in a short time. We ran one test series on a water brake dyno. It took all afternoon and generated only one partial power curve. See http://performancetrends.com/tdkmotorsports/index.html for more information. We used the Performance Trends dyno data logger, but there are others.

Lohring Miller
    Thanks for your feedback... these forums are invaluable for people... I have access to so many people's experience and feedback.

I looked into building a DIY home inertial dyno but gathering the parts it needs and building it seemed out of my scope. The gear pump dyno is nice and compact and should fit in the swing arm and hook right up to the chain. I think the biggest benefit, for me, of this type of dyno is the ability to plot a torque curve for each cell while the computer holds a steady rpm. Im hoping this will allow me to optimize each and every cell of the fuel and spark tables. I'm not certain but I dont think an inertia dyno will allow me to have that sort of accuracy for a specific throttle/rpm setting. I am terrified of destroying my motor with too much advance or too little fuel... im hoping this method will give me the accuracy to avoid that.

I was thinking if I wanted an rpm sweep torque curve I could set the needle valve to mimic what the bike would feel on the hwy and then do a 2000 to 7500 run and plot the torque and get something meaningful. Im not really concerned with accurate numbers... just the ability to see dips in the curve.

Thats the plan... fingers crossed!

I'm also going the be recording everything I do and posting it on youtube so people can watch and offer advice and ideas to me. Once I get things started I'll come here and post the link for anyone that's interested.

Thanks for the welcome
    -john

Bike
    Daelim besbi 2008
    Hello.
    The issue of whether the TBI or the TPI is better is not new, there are many threads in forums.
    Could he be winning the TBI? , the FI in the RSW500 got more HP.
    This can also happen in MX 125?

https://www.vitalmx.com/features/SPO...Injection,7921

Bike
    Daelim besbi 2008
    It's just a divagation of mine, since I discovered the work of this German boy on YouTube, I can't stop thinking about repeating history as it happened with others before, in which manufacturers take ideas without rewarding their creators.

Minarelli in two consecutive years has been presenting the EFI in the two stroke engine.
    The first year I only presented it in the 300cc and with injection trans the reed valve.

The second year he presented the 300cc with injection again but this time in the throttle body, he also presented the 50cc with injection in the style of the 300cc of the previous year

It is clear that Minarelli is interested in bringing EFI to the two stroke engine, if we follow the trajectory of the 300cc and apply it to the 50cc, we can expect to see at EICMA 2023 a 50cc with injection in the throttle body, also if we take into account Details such as those of the power valve servomotor, in the 50cc it would be in the throttle body

Bike
    Daelim besbi 2008
    Another option is if Minarelli or any other manufacturer buys it.
    As it happened to Bob Horvath who bought his idea, the manufacturer of Tillotson carburetors.

Another option is for the Chinese manufacturer CPI to implement this mechanism in its engines.

EICMA 2005

Bike
    Daelim besbi 2008
    It looks more compact and simple than the one used by Minarelli on the 4S.

https://youtube.com/shorts/mz8Kyo2FE-U?feature=share

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Throttlebody EFI Z-Tech Extrem.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	352611  

Bike
    Ktm sx 125 23
    Hi guys,

Is here still someone reading? 😁

I am currently getting everything together to speeduino my ktm sx 125 23 tbi.

I want to use the original crank case pressure sensor. So is there anything already "New" to make the Firmware better?

I would like to use everything onboard, so no external map Filter.

It uses a small range map sensor for ccp.

Both injectors are the same https://cars245.com/en/item/bosch-0280158416-injector/
    One infront the butterfly and one behind.

I am currently tuning the OEM ecu's, due the lag of Power they come with (34hp).
    But what i noticed and still cant get rid of it (due the not existing informations about this m4c ecu) is that if the piston wears, the ccp drops and the power drops drastical.

So i want to use the speeduino to be able to "ignore" the wear of the piston some how.

Maybe we can keep this thread up to life.
    Everything that could help is really appreciated!

Have a good time guys!

Bike
    Ktm sx 125 23
    Following this awesome build!

I am currently trying to get running a Speeduino based ecu on my ktm sx 125 23 TBI.

I want to get rid of that way too restricted oem ECU.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Hi JB2

I stopped working on my own project when the racing class it was for got too hectic for me to continue competing in. I never felt I had got my bike running perfectly but hopefully you will do better with yours.

I would love to follow your project here.

Have you seen the Speeduino NO2C https://bossgarage.eu/en-ww/products/speeduino-no2c

It is a two channel system and physically smaller than the common four channel version that overhangs the MEGA 2560 mother board. The NO2C is the same size as the MEGA 2560 board itself. It would be my choice for a single cylinder bike.

Speeduino Manual:- https://speeduino.com/Speeduino_manual.pdf

Bike
    Ktm sx 125 23
    Hi TZ,

I just read all you posts about the freaking journy of converting a two stroke to efi.
    Just crazy how many hours of research you just spent!

Now to my project- I want to convert the original ktm sx 125 23 TBI ecu to a good ecu!

So I want to throw that oem part away and replace it by an own build Speeduino powered pcb that fits the oem connector without changing anything on the harness.

The bike comes stock- like you must have heared already - a ccps.

So I am into tuning the oem ecu's, but they keep restricting power always when piston wear accures. So after 4-5 hours runtime the bike keeps loosing power because the ecu restricts it.
    And I think the only sensor doing that restriction is the ccps- minimal changes in the value and the ecu takes ign low.

The problem is, that I just don't find the table, where this happens- maybe it is an algorythm in the code itself...I dont know, because I am just working in the Binary file without any definitions.

SO to get rid of that, I want to use the speeduino to get good and overall consistent results.

The bike comes stock with 2 injectors, one infront, one behind the butterfly. Both are equal: https://cars245.com/en/item/bosch-0280158416-injector/

What I cant get over- the bike doesnt want to hit the redline : at around 12500 that thing just keeps barking, so it doesnt want to rev higher- like its just getting way too much fuel- or not correctly timed.

I can provide you some tables of Start of injection and so on, if you are generally interested in these.

Also the ccps and ambient pressure sensors are way different to yours- they only have a small window of reading. (https://www.autoersatzteile.de/7890684-vdo)

Thank you so much for all the work your putting in.

Bike
    Vespa Px 125

Fuel injected Vespa

Hey, I managed to get my 2 stroke Vespa to run very smoothly with fuel injection. It runs nice at all throttle positions.
    At some time - I switched from speeduino to MaxxECU Mini.

A dyno run and the used parts are shown in this video:

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by T0M View Post
    Hey, I managed to get my 2 stroke Vespa to run very smoothly with fuel injection. It runs nice at all throttle positions.
    At some time - I switched from speeduino to MaxxECU Mini.
    A full power dyno run and blipping the engine afterwards as seen in the video is relatively easy. Alpha-N topology is good enough for that.

The real test is blitzing at full noise up to a slow corner, breaking hard, feathering your way around to the apex, then pulling away smoothly and getting back on the pipe again.

Basically, its on the pipe, throttle off for the corner collapses the wave action in the pipe, rpm drops and then throttling back on to try and re establish the wave action back in the pipe.

This has been my problem and I have not really got that smoothly pulling away from the apex working very well myself. Tuned 125 with competition pipe.

Before I rush out and buy a MaxxCPU to replace my Speeduino. If you can I would be very interested in a video clip of how well the MaxxCPU handles fast paced riding and corners for you.

A PDF of the MaxxCPU manual would be very welcome too.

I admire your work.

Thread Information