Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Farewell ST1050 and some sad news

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Well it has to be said that 2018 isn't a vintage year for us.

On top of Vickis illness I have just had it confirmed that I have prostate cancer. I mean to bloody say wtf...

Still, this is my second dance with cancer now and like last time its reasonably early days because I believe in staying on top of this sort of thing and I have good options albeit with some nasty potential side effects. I'm definitely getting a bit fed up though with doctors this year.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Not good news. Join the "don't want to see another doctor" club...

That said, I know a couple of guys who've beaten prostate cancer. Both are even riding without gel seats....

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Keep the attitude me ol mate. Nothing is over until it's done, so please keep working on it. Just come out of Hospital with an irregular heart rythm and its not been fun,the OP I mean. Op, Thanks Southern Cross,was 26K done in 2 weeks, as opposed to public , upwards of 3 - 6 months.
    You guys deserve a break, keep poking the stars, and seeing what comes out.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Yes this was definitely not my idea of what the later parts of life would be like... Gah...

Oh well - not planning on popping my clogs anytime soon..

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Holy shit Paul. So sorry to hear now it's both of you facing unknown futures.

From one aging bugger to another this is not fair. When I see fat unhealthy lazy people that smoke like a train, drink and eat crap for years, never exercise and they get seriously sick I think, what did you expect and have little sympathy. But you two are super active, look after yourselves, exercise like a twenty year old athlete. Folks on here won't be aware that you are a seriously fit and strong individual.
    So unfair. Best wishes
    Mark.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Thanks Mark...

Vicki and I have never expected life to be fair but its still all kinds of awesome once you stop feeling sorry for yourself.. We went out mountain biking with the #1 grandson on sunday - we had a blast...

It looks like I've caught this early so I'm confident of a good outcome for me albeit with a bit of grief up front (or down below) and that seems to be the choice. You either do nothing now and have a shit load of grief later or front up now and have it easy later (accepting all the usual risks around this kind of thing). So my plan is to get the op after we get back from our next adventure trip so I will be 100% fit again when Vicki needs me to be.

I mean you seriously cant make this shit up in a story can you.. No one would believe it LOL...

I have to say the drugs from the biopsy were making me feel pretty crap and I was a bit bummed that I wasn't likely to be able to do the santa thing this year so I shaved my beard into a big old fuck off handle bar moustache... It felt GREAT... Screw you cancer... LOL...

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    Am very sorry dude like one other said.dont know you both.
    Keep enjoying the bikes and gym.
    It's moments like this in your life that u need each other. U realize. What's important. I be getting folding home app and pc program again running it. Help with research with Stanford university.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Thanks Mark

Keeping going at the gym, changing diets, riding our CX/MTB's etc are all a part of our plan to slow this down to a crawl... Like you said Vicki is fine most of the time and its only when you are aware that she is loosing here language that it shows up. Eventually it progresses into the main part of the brain and yes its just like the more usual dementias then..

FTD is a reasonably new diagnosis it that its only just been unpicked from other conditions and better understood so there is not much solid info or enough data to predict progress. That said we are not letting the grass grow under our feet and sitting around moping about it... It is what it is..
    Sent from my SOV31 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Only the good die young...i am living proof. Never give up cobber.....

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Just and update for anyone that care…

My cancer operation went well and the pathology report indicated a very good chance that this may result in a cure. If so – that’s paul 2 and cancer 0 but frankly I’m not keen on round 3. Obviously with an operation like this there are still a few things to follow up on and recommission if possible but nothings dribbling down my leg and I’m reasonably fit and healthy so I’m well pleased.

Vicki is going OK as well. A few setbacks and charlatans to deal with but I honestly think we have a shot at slowing this horrible illness down. If I can get her in reasonable health to her lat 70’s that’s a win – putting her into care at 63 isnt…

So after a shit load of searching, reading and researching I have nearly everything in place for Vicki now. We found the smoking gun (maybe) that triggered this, addressing that, got her on supplements to support her immune system and then tweaking it start to strengthen cell walls etc. We have changed her diet and now I just need to get us back on our bikes and start her on yoga or meditation but again I will have to do it first, learn all about it and help her.

I actually had 3 hours to myself on Sunday. I changed to oil on the old triumph in peace and quiet.. It was simply bliss…

This experience has drained me. Honestly its been very testing and its no wonder to me I developed cancer. I fully expect the stress to generate the 3rd brush eventually but it’s a risk worth taking. I did a mental health awareness course through work and finally realised the stress I was under (other factors as well which I cant share). So I called one of those 0800 numbers – cheered me right up… I think they employed Billy T – I couldn’t understand most of what he was saying but there was enough to make me realise I’d better sort it myself. I did call the recommended counsellor – she told me I’d called at a bad time…. I laughed for the first time in months… Silly cow…

So its been very interesting reaching out for help – basically there isn’t any. You need to go privately and then its just random people from the phone book of which most are mad or utterly useless. The medical profession cant help and even the physio wasn’t keen on treating her sore neck once he realised she had FTD because ACC wont cover that… (not once did I mention ACC)

I compare this to a colleague who snapped a tendon playing soccer with his kids. He got ACC. Fully covered, taxis to appointments and to work until he was back on his pins. I’m fairly bitter how we have been treated. They take one look at us and ‘oh white middle class with an income’. They can fuck off – I’ve got the Fijian napoleon juggling burning kittens and chainsaws in the waiting room and 13 P addicted beneficiaries all standing on bridges…… Sorry but that’s how it is…

Still there are positives. I’m more resilient and stronger and I take no shit... I'm still ‘technically’ depressed but I also realise that this is just something to be endured and no help will come so just muddle on and do my best plus I get huge fun tell doctors to fuck off if they wont help… We are definitely painting outside the lines treatment wise but its bloody working (our GP is a star) so they can piss off…

If anyone has any questions about dementia - fire away

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    That reads like hard times. Most councellors have personal issues which is why they became interested in counselling, some will appear "different". I was told that by a person who undertook the training, she told me it quickly became apparent that most on the course had unresolved issues. Without being unkind she would have been one of them.

Good luck with your future tests and I hope your wife travels OK.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1994 VFR750F, 2006 XR250L
    Thanks for the update Paul and there isn't much I can say except hang in there and best wishes to you both.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    sounds like its time for a pat on the back, well done and keep it up.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Good news on the prostate cancer mate, now go bend over backwards and get Vicki into that Yoga stuff, keep thinking they're all a pack of u no wats, cause they are, but hey, theres plenty of ordinary types out here, who would without question, come if called, listen and offer sage ( of course) advise and follow through with support and shoulders.
    Stay strong, check yer pm's mate.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    I admire your strength and stoicism. Hang in there.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    You should be really proud of yourself and what you’ve achieved so far.

I’ve been fortunate enough to have had the support of great counsellors over the years, privately of course so it’s cost me a fortune, but they are out there.

My parents have been dealing with the consequences of Lewy Bodies Dementia (much later in life) for going on five years now, and the toll it’s had on both of them has been heartbreaking to see, but it has brought the family much closer together.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Thread Information