Thread: Motorbike starter issues

Bike
    Honda Jade

Motorbike starter issues

I've got a 1991 Honda Jade CB250 which can be a pain in the ass to get going. This is with a freshly charged battery and enough petrol. Sometime I need to push it down the road, jump on it and let go of the clutch for it to turn over. The starter motor goes, I've opened it up and had a look at the starter gears, everything looks ok. It just seems to not "catch". Any ideas? Is there anything I can tighten or tweek?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180728_124334.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	338414

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    That's what happens when you're down on compression ... the starter drags too much of the power.. to get a big enough spark ... to spin the engine fast enough to ... fire up. It only needs a push/bump to start. But it will spin forever on jumper leads. a shot of Easy-start down it's throat may help.

Surprisingly enough ... you dont need to be moving that fast for it to start.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Honda Jade
    I'll try this - http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/Prod...luid-300g/0237

Where's the best place to spray? Air intake bit?

Bike
    moped
    It will most likley be your Starter Sprag Clutch at a guess, quite common problem in the early CB's. Just replaced mine in a CB450 its an easy fix, and won't cost a lot, do it now before you cause more damage and more costs. Parts are readily available, you can try Malcom at Anaconda Matamata 078848810 or 4into1.com and buy online. Looking at the picture you will need a Flywheel puller M16 X 1.5 RH seems to be the common one but check, if it has 3 Rollers 3 caps 3 springs replace the lot, get the genuine Honda parts and thats all the parts you will need.
    Also the "Honda Twins" Forum is always good for help.

Bike
    Honda Jade
    I opened up the air intake pipes to see if there was any blockage, there was a bit of water in there, I'm guessing from recent rain, but I noticed that once a got the engine running there was no obvious intake of air. I placed a bit of paper on the intake to see if there was any suction, nothing. Is this a problem? I always thought that a decent amount of air is sucked in during high revs, but couldn't find anything.

Thread Information