Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wired vs Wireless

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600

Wired vs Wireless

Vodaphony recently sent me a replacement modem for fibre broadband. They said it was "more up to date" than the one I had.

The old modem gave me the same download speed via either cable or wireless. The new one is 80% slower to download via wireless but works at full speed through the cable.

Any ideas why?

Incidentally, just for the record, Vodaphony told me the new modem was free. Then they sent me a bill for it ($150.00). They reversed that charge after I told them to get fucked...arseholes
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Make/Model of the Modem?

and Ideally the Make/Model of the previous Modem?
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    Make/Model of the Modem?

and Ideally the Make/Model of the previous Modem?
    Old Modem: Huawei HG659

New Modem: "Vodafone Ultra Hub". (That all that's on it - nothing like what's on the back of the Huawei.)
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Vodaphony recently sent me a replacement modem for fibre broadband. They said it was "more up to date" than the one I had.

The old modem gave me the same download speed via either cable or wireless. The new one is 80% slower to download via wireless but works at full speed through the cable.

Any ideas why?

Incidentally, just for the record, Vodaphony told me the new modem was free. Then they sent me a bill for it ($150.00). They reversed that charge after I told them to get fucked...arseholes
    Some upgrade. Those Huawei modems are average at best. Trust Vodafone to find something worse.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Some upgrade. Those Huawei modems are average at best. Trust Vodafone to find something worse.
    Damn right.

Bike
    CB1300
    I have one of those. I'll leave the technical descriptions to demon Lord but log in to the settings and provide your own DNS.

I'm using Google public DNS.
    Don't know why.
    Don't care why.
    Changing this fixed issues for me instantly. Along with issues of some websites like Facebook would vanish periodically but be available over wired network out vice versa.

Or you can spend days with shit internet calling them, telling them they have a DNS issue that that will treat as a p1 then never actually resolve.

There are actually 2 Wi-Fi networks on the router. The one ending in 5 is faster than wired in my testing within the home... subject to locale of the various devices.
    In theory out shouldn't be true but my connection on my laptop is slower over wired than Wi-Fi. I assume this is a firmware issue, possibly planned, because that shouldn't be so but Wi-Fi is the big push.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    As suggested above, if you have 2 wifi networks it's likely the 5GHz will be faster than the 2.4Ghz.

There can be issues if your wifi has ended up on the same channel as another one nearby which can slow it down considerably.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Are you comparing your speeds to what you had on the old modem? Could be your old modem was slow so both worked at the same speed. Now with the new modem it could be faster but your wifi connected device is old so uses old wifi standards and as a result is slow as fuck. While using a cable you can access the higher speeds available from the new modem?

Either that or shits fucked.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Couple of thoughts:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...analyzer&hl=en

Check to see if there are any frequency conflicts using that tool.

Having a nose online - it seems that the new modem is a bespoke jobby made by Technicolour for Voda-I-Clear-Hug.

A couple of things I read seem to line up with Big Dog's comment about changing the DNS to a public DNS provider.

There were a couple of comments as well about people getting worse performance when compared to the previous Modem (despite Voda-I-Clear-Hug's testing that it gets better performance) - and the response from the rep was "something must be different about your situation" - which I suspect is Wireless frequency conflicts.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I recently had some problems which resulted in a new modem arriving. The new one, which I'd been advised was better in every way than what I had, was seriously disappointing. It was slow and had very limited range compared to the old one. It wouldn't function properly if I was in the next room. Before I phoned to whinge I thought I had at least better reboot it again. Wonderful. It's as least as good as the old one.

The thought does occur though that the ISPs aren't supplying the highest quality, rather they supply the cheapest they can get. It works though so...
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
    Are you comparing your speeds to what you had on the old modem? Could be your old modem was slow so both worked at the same speed. Now with the new modem it could be faster but your wifi connected device is old so uses old wifi standards and as a result is slow as fuck. While using a cable you can access the higher speeds available from the new modem?

Either that or shits fucked.
    There is no difference between the top speed of either modem as long as I use the cable connection. According to ookla, I get 100ish mbs download speed and about 22 upload. That's from either modem, cable connection.

Go wireless and the new modem gives 22-ish down and a little more up. The upload speed is actually better than the download. Never seen that before.

Anyway, the cable is already here from the ADSL days and is always plugged in so I use it and have no actual practical problems. My interest is really how this discrepancy happens. At heart I am a nosy bugger.

Bike
    '08 Wee
    There is no difference between the top speed of either modem as long as I use the cable connection. According to ookla, I get 100ish mbs download speed and about 22 upload. That's from either modem, cable connection.

Go wireless and the new modem gives 22-ish down and a little more up. The upload speed is actually better than the download. Never seen that before.

Anyway, the cable is already here from the ADSL days and is always plugged in so I use it and have no actual practical problems. My interest is really how this discrepancy happens. At heart I am a nosy bugger.
    Have you kept it in the same location? My MiL noticed a huge wifi improvement when she moved her router away from the fridge and a bunch of other metal. Sometimes small things can make a big difference to signal quality.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
    Have you kept it in the same location? My MiL noticed a huge wifi improvement when she moved her router away from the fridge and a bunch of other metal. Sometimes small things can make a big difference to signal quality.
    Nah. Same place.

Bike
    CB1300

That sounds like they have you provisioned wrong.
    What does your plan say for speed?
    Down should be at least 2x up unless they have both uncapped, in which case the limit may be how much your neighbours are already using. At 4am I get 16mps but 6am to 2am I get 10-12mbs. Rural life argh.

Before all the neighbours got internet I used to enjoy 16 all day on copper ADSL.
    But then when we moved in 5 years ago there were no Wi-Fi networks at all in a 2 block radius.
    Now I can see at least 3 networks everywhere in the same area.
    According to Vodafone 300 new connections in that period... with Vodafone alone.
    Not sure if they mean all the new homes in my suburb or all of Tuakau.

Bike
    Indian Scout

Dumped copper altogether

So Spark offered a deal to double our broadband with a little reduction in cost if we switched the house to a new modem and dumped the copper connection and landline. Wife's been nagging for years to dump the landline. Only my Mum and those helpful IT Repair people in Bombay that alert me to my PC problems I wasn't even aware of ring. And pesty charities and telesales pricks.
    So the free Huwai 4G modem arrived this week. Only been 3 days but certainly not slower. Changeover was a breeze.
    Always found Spark service to be excellent. Wouldn't risk changing. Better the devil you know as they say.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Thread Information