Thread: Sheep

Bike
    It was on the good

Sheep

So, a question for the KB massive.

A bit of rustling going on down south where we have a few sheep and have lost some in the past. It is not practical to have cameras everywhere and most of the farm is out of cell phone range. Have been thinking of some kind of tag/microchip in the animal and some sensors either at the gate or perhaps heavy duty stuff on one of the roads so if they go past in a truck we can be alerted immediately. Even if we can't catch them we will have a date stamp that we can link to security camera footage. It is too late when you see the gate swinging the next morning or via a head count a few weeks later.

I know the freezing works don't want microchips getting in to the food chain but ear tags are the first thing to get ditched so looking at options there. Just wondering if anyone has heard of any detection system like I am talking about, a beefed up version of what you see at the supermarket?

Chur

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Aside from Googling, you might try asking your local farm suppliers (Farmland, RD2 and the like) and/or Gallagher (who will probably refer you to local stockists if they have the kind of thing you want). Or local security companies, your insurance company, even the police.

Bike
    2001 zx9
    For what its worth we had a problem with a couple of wild dogs living in our native bush a few years back and during the campaign (understatement) against them i put a couple of Moultrie trail cameras out... woweee are they good at collecting info , and not too expensive either. Once the dust had settled months later we set off on holiday and i set one up in an obscure corner of our cattle yards "looking" at the road - it was pretty impressive after we got back from holiday to down load the memory card and see vehicles (c/w rego numbers) that had driven past and then come back past again minutes later etc...I'd be tempted to put a couple of those out at key points on your boundary - they can have invisible infra red for night work and so unlikely to be spotted by the low-lifes. Good luck !

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i thought a microchip would come of with the skin???

Bike
    It was on the good
    Yeah, we have a few trail cameras out there. Great for keeping an eye on regular night time visitors etc and if something happens you have a record. Not that useful though if you don't know if something has happened for a few weeks. We'd end up with photos of lots of stock trucks going past but no real idea which one might have been involved. Looking for something a bit more responsive.

Insurers didn't really get it. We have spoken to someone about the kind of chips you stick in a dog and standard RFID ear tags but they need a hand wand to sense them, I was thinking of something with a bit more oomph that could pick one up inside a truck passing by.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    i thought a microchip would come of with the skin???
    Who knows where they migrate to when you inject them under the skin. Not something they want in the food chain.

Thread Information