Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, I need advice with hauling, please

Bike
    1988 Honda

Help, I need advice with hauling, please

Hi, I need some advice on hauling my bike. I live quite far from repair services, and I'd like to be able to move my bike from where I live to the mechanic, when it's not rideable.

The bike is just on 2.5m long, nose to tail. I have a 4wd hilux with the tray back, but it isn't quite long enough.It's also really high up in the air. I have a 12V winch and could mayyyybeeee get it up into the back on a ramp, has anyone done this? There's no tailgate with the tray back, can I extend the length of the tray safely, somehow? I'm about 100mm short!

I'm sure most people would trailer but I'm no good with a trailer and there's precious little manoeuvring room in my little back o beyond location. I'm just wondering if anyone has any good ideas. I have to move the bike about 60Km to the service place. I'm thinking I'll have to hire a cargo van, is that pretty much it?

Thanks

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Getting the bike up onto a truck bed is a bit of an artform. You would be best to get a couple of people to help if you can

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    You can get some small motorcycle trailers which aren't too daunting, speaking as someone who is crap at driving with trailers haha (particularly, reversing.. I gotta get some pratice). The nice thing about some of the smaller ones (some completely fold up but I can't remember the brand) is that they're a piece of cake to maneuver around, even if you just unhitch it and turn it by hand. They're often pretty lightweight and easily "handleable"

https://www.kendonusa.com/stand-up-folding-trailer/

https://www.stingertrailer.com/produ...lding-trailer/

Otherwise, depending on what sort of bike it is, I also heartily recommend seeing if you can get yourself a HAYNES MANUAL and a couple of tools and do it yourself
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    2014 BMW G650GS
    I bought a second hand jet ski trailer and modified it to carry a bike. It is very low, making loading easy and has a long drawbar making reversing it easier, too.

Bike
    1988 Honda
    Whoa! Foldup trailers! I didn't know that! And a jet ski trailer, too.

The first place I went to was the service manual and ffs, it says absolutely nothing about the throttle assembly. Sheesh. I need lots of pictures and arrows if I'm gonna do mechanics. Oh, yeah...I fell over...broke the throttle...

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    The first place I went to was the service manual and ffs, it says absolutely nothing about the throttle assembly. Sheesh. I need lots of pictures and arrows if I'm gonna do mechanics. Oh, yeah...I fell over...broke the throttle...
    I've had good experience with the Haynes manuals. Clear pictures, clear instructions. Any car or bike I buy, a Haynes is almost always the first purchase I make
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    So wot bike is broken? Wot bit's broken? Photos? Mebbe we can help.

The KB collective trumps Haynes trumps service manuels.

Bike
    1988 Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    So wot bike is broken? Wot bit's broken? Photos? Mebbe we can help.

The KB collective trumps Haynes trumps service manuels.
    OK, I checked the Haynes manual I've got, and it doesn't seem to have it either.

I have a 1988 Honda VF750C. I laid it over on the throttle side. Now, the grip doesn't go all the way up the throttle tube. There's a gap between the handle grip and the switch housing, instead of snugging up to it, and I can't push it up either. Also the grip can now be pulled off the tubing,easy. But the throttle still works, the tube has no apparent breakage, the grip still turns it, and it snaps back on release. But there's one other thing that I'm not quite sure of. I can just keep turning the t throttle round - shouldn't it have a stop? A point at which it doesn't turn any further? There's a point at which it hits resistance but then continues right over it.

I've been watching some videos on youtube, and I see that the grips are sortof glued on, and I must have broken the glue seal. What I can't tell is why the grip won't push all the way on. There's no apparent harm to the grip itself. I've been warned not to ride it until I can be sure there's nothing really wrong.

I have the stock Honda grips, black with the chrome ends.

What do you think?

Bike
    It was on the good
    What do you think?
    Burn it.

10mfc

Bike
    CB1300
    A picture or 2 would help... if I recall some throttle tubes off that era have a little lip and a corresponding channel in the end of the grip. So if you went of brand new grips would not quite fit.

Personally I have found glue to be less than useful, ceasing to hold on the next sunny day.
    I was recommended and had some success with:
    1 warm the bar or tube. Hair dryer or a heat gun on low. Should be warm, not hot.
    2 Smear a small amount of dish liquid onto the tube or bar. Minimum amount that gives coverage.
    3 dip the grip into warm water and slide on.
    4 work out any air bubbles and position. It should be easy to position and will feel wrong to be skidding around so much.
    5 when you are happy with the position wipe up any excess water and detergent.
    Wait 24 hours or so in summer, 48 hours in cold or wet weather.

Grip should be stuck down pretty well.

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    OK, I checked the Haynes manual I've got, and it doesn't seem to have it either.

I have a 1988 Honda VF750C. I laid it over on the throttle side. Now, the grip doesn't go all the way up the throttle tube. There's a gap between the handle grip and the switch housing, instead of snugging up to it, and I can't push it up either. Also the grip can now be pulled off the tubing,easy. But the throttle still works, the tube has no apparent breakage, the grip still turns it, and it snaps back on release. But there's one other thing that I'm not quite sure of. I can just keep turning the t throttle round - shouldn't it have a stop? A point at which it doesn't turn any further? There's a point at which it hits resistance but then continues right over it.

I've been watching some videos on youtube, and I see that the grips are sortof glued on, and I must have broken the glue seal. What I can't tell is why the grip won't push all the way on. There's no apparent harm to the grip itself. I've been warned not to ride it until I can be sure there's nothing really wrong.

I have the stock Honda grips, black with the chrome ends.

What do you think?
    get some compressed air and blow it under the grip to totally remove it and see whats going on, look for cracks or anything that just doesnt look right. does it have 2 cables going from the throttle? follow them back to the carbs. maybe somehow its snapped a cable? when you turn the throttle does anything on the carb actually move? when i say blow air under the grip i mean poke the air nozzle under the rubber then pull the grip off, it is much easier then fighting with em. same for install.

might help if you post some pictures or a video>?

Bike
    CB1300
    This is the lip I was talking about.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    This is the lip I was talking about.
    Which based on a parts view here https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/.../handle-switch your bike had as stock.
    Do your new grips have the receiving channel? If so you'll need to roll that end on like a condom. If not you'll have to live with the gap.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post
    You can get some small motorcycle trailers which aren't too daunting, speaking as someone who is crap at driving with trailers haha (particularly, reversing.. I gotta get some pratice). The nice thing about some of the smaller ones (some completely fold up but I can't remember the brand) is that they're a piece of cake to maneuver around, even if you just unhitch it and turn it by hand. They're often pretty lightweight and easily "handleable"

https://www.kendonusa.com/stand-up-folding-trailer/

https://www.stingertrailer.com/produ...lding-trailer/

Otherwise, depending on what sort of bike it is, I also heartily recommend seeing if you can get yourself a HAYNES MANUAL and a couple of tools and do it yourself
    I have a "Loader" trailer but it seems the guy doesnt do it any more. I love mine and it doubles as a light duty garden trailer too.

Only issue with it is if it is on my car without a bike on it I literally cannot see it out of my mirrors or with head out the door. Subaru XV. Its because the trailer is small and low and narrow. I put a tennis ball on a stick on the back corners so I can see it .... or have the rear hatch up.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    1988 Honda
    Oh, I drool after those foldup trailers. I have yet to find one here in NZ, though there are some in Australia. And, they're really expensive too! I shudder at the thought of the import cost.

I don't know where to upload images to. I was told my last place was delivering inappropriate content along with my images!

I determined that the throttle tube is doing everything it's 'sposed to, it's only the glue seal of the grip that has broken. I guess after 30 years...it has given its all.

The only thing I am concerned about now is the fact that when I test fit the grip there's a gap between the handle and the switch set. I'm wondering if it's trapped air in the handle, which isn't open at the end, it has a chrome cap.

So now I can ride it, I've got a long ride on saturday right down to the mechanic's garage, and it doesn't look rainy, so the grip just has to stay on ok.

Thread Information