Thread: Question about converting foreign license.

Bike
    2020 KTM 390 Adventure, 2009 CB400 Revo

Question about converting foreign license.

I'm moving to NZ to study soon and I have an Africa Twin. I have a foriegn license and looking to import the AT with me, but in running into real shitty obstacles. Converting my license into NZ license means I will start with a learner's license, then wait 6 months for a restricted, then after 18 months I can finally ride my AT in NZ with a full license. That's a total of 24 months of not able to ride my bike here. Is there a way to convert my license into a full license?
    "If you’re converting a motorcycle licence you don’t need to have a supervisor. You’ll be issued with a learner motorcycle licence and will need to comply with the learner conditions until you pass your practical test and are issued with a full licence."
    From: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lice...river-licence/

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Whereabouts is your existing licence from?

I had no trouble in getting my UK licence converted to a full NZ item.

Bike
    It was on the good
    If you have a full licence from overseas it shouldn't be a problem and you can ride on it for up to a year before you convert so no rush.

If you have a learner licence then there might be some hoops to jump through. If that is the case you might be best getting your full wherever you are first and saving a whole load of palaver.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post

Ditto. When I moved out here I ended up not getting an NZ licence within my first year here and at the time I would have had to start from scratch as the op suggests.

When the law changed a few years ago I wandered into the local AA office, gave the guy $50, had my eyes checked and walked out with an NZ licence. Effectively.

The OP may be from a non exempt country. I feels.

I've had a licence check twice in 20+ years. My NZ licence has yet to leave the wallet.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    I am part of the non exempt countries. We only have one type of license here that you get after you do the tests and it's a full license. No restrictions. So I can use my license for the first year and at the same time I can apply for a restricted. And by the time my foriegn license has been used up for a year, the window for getting my full license should be open at the same time right?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post

I've been living in Egypt for the past year and got my license from here. It's the full license. I also have a full Kuwaiti license (which is where I'm from).

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KA9099 View Post
    So I can use my license for the first year and at the same time I can apply for a restricted. And by the time my foriegn license has been used up for a year, the window for getting my full license should be open at the same time right?
    Nope ... when you "apply" for the restricted ... you're in the system and your term of restricted begins.

The sooner you start ... the sooner you get it done.

However ... "Riding outside your license conditions" does not seem to be a heavily enforced rule. Only those that ride like a dick and draw attention to themselves ... seem to get pinged for it.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Keep in mind though that any insurance claim may be denied if you are driving outside of your license conditions. Consider all your risks.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    I'm moving to NZ to study soon and I have an Africa Twin. I have a foriegn license and looking to import the AT with me, but in running into real shitty obstacles. Converting my license into NZ license means I will start with a learner's license, then wait 6 months for a restricted, then after 18 months I can finally ride my AT in NZ with a full license. That's a total of 24 months of not able to ride my bike here. Is there a way to convert my license into a full license?
    "If you’re converting a motorcycle licence you don’t need to have a supervisor. You’ll be issued with a learner motorcycle licence and will need to comply with the learner conditions until you pass your practical test and are issued with a full licence."
    To answer your question: Is there a way to convert my licence into a full licence? After reading the info on the NZTA website, I'd suggest the answer is No.

You'll have to go through the learner / restricted pathway.

You could just leave your bike behind - have you found out the cost of importing it into NZ? - and buy a LAMs bike here and then you'll be fine to go...

Bike
    xt660r
    if you go the CBTA route, there is no wait time on your learner licence (assuming you are over 16.5 years old), so you can sit that test whenever you feel comfortable enough to do it, then a 12 month wait until you can have a full licence.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Some of you seem more clued in than me but can the OP not use an International Driving Permit with his own national licence for twelve months while he goes through the NZ process?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Some of you seem more clued in than me but can the OP not use an International Driving Permit with his own national licence for twelve months while he goes through the NZ process?
    He can use his own national license for up to 12 months before he needs to get a NZ license. He is not allowed to use his national license if he is in the NZ system with a learner/restricted license.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    bandit
    I agree with everything that has been said so far - and it should not be too hard for you.

My concern would be about your ability on a motorcycle and on New Zealand roads. This is because you may be coming the other way wh
    en I am on the road ..

We have a few deaths here caused by foreign drivers stuffing it up big time ..

You say the licence in Egypt is easy to get. So how good are you on a bike?

Egypt uses the opposite side of the road from us. In the Unites States I have found that disconcerting ... and have never driven there. I would take a little while of getting used to that before driving.

There are a lot of rules that will be different.

So - can you assure us that you will be safe on our roads, and that we will be safe with you coming the other way?
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Thread Information