Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My life is about to turn upside down.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Are todays parents more selfish than the previous generation? We gave up a lot for our kids, because (at the time) that is what you did. This generation (inc some of my own) seem to put their own wants ahead of their kids needs.
    This is interesting. I have neighbors across from me with two young ones. Both parents are career driven and appear to work 6 days a week. They employ a young nanny all week to look after the kids. Which makes me wonder why bother having them if you don't spend time with them. Other than the obvious being you can't give them back once popping them out ya girls bits.

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    This is interesting. I have neighbors across from me with two young ones. Both parents are career driven and appear to work 6 days a week. They employ a young nanny all week to look after the kids. Which makes me wonder why bother having them if you don't spend time with them. Other than the obvious being you can't give them back once popping them out ya girls bits.
    Dunno. Having kids ticks a box i suppose. Perhaps they both have to work to afford then kids. More expensive to run that my bike, that's for sure.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Mrs Oakie and I had a planned 'meeting' with Miss Eleven this afternoon to work out the rules and behaviour standards for the house with her. Consultation! Told her we'll always discuss things with her and listen to what she has to say even though we may not make the decision she wants. We now have a three page (for want of a better term) 'Room mate Agreement' which covers everything from our behaviour to each other and onto homework, bed times and internet time amongst many other things. At the end I asked her if she had any behaviour expectations of us and she said "you and Nan need to maintain a positive attitude to each other and provide a happy environment in the house." That blew me away a bit!

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    At the end I asked her if she had any behaviour expectations of us and she said "you and Nan need to maintain a positive attitude to each other and provide a happy environment in the house." That blew me away a bit!
    We desperately need her at my work. When can she start?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    We desperately need her at my work. When can she start?
    Ha ha. Six years.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Mrs Oakie and I had a planned 'meeting' with Miss Eleven this afternoon to work out the rules and behaviour standards for the house with her. Consultation! Told her we'll always discuss things with her and listen to what she has to say even though we may not make the decision she wants. We now have a three page (for want of a better term) 'Room mate Agreement' which covers everything from our behaviour to each other and onto homework, bed times and internet time amongst many other things. At the end I asked her if she had any behaviour expectations of us and she said "you and Nan need to maintain a positive attitude to each other and provide a happy environment in the house." That blew me away a bit!
    fuckinhell.

you might learn more from her than she does from you!.

Sounds like its gunna be an interesting ride

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Would love to hear her rules for KB ....
    "Spin the wheel" by unicyclist George Michael

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    fuckinhell.

you might learn more from her than she does from you!.
    Yep. We're open to anything she can teach us about the scary modern world.

Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    Would love to hear her rules for KB ....
    Oh Jeez. We'd all be on the naughty stair.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Well ain't this a bloody reunion of kb lurkers......

Great news Oakie - Grandparents make better parents imho because they have done this shit before and know the short cuts.
    My second boy was born a few months back, my oldest is now 7 and all I can think is geez I gotta remember what works on the oldest so I can use it on the youngest when they get there......and I am living with the in-law so it should be easy for me
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    I realise it could be personal in places, but it would be great if you could post the 'less personal' aspects of the agreement I'm sure it would be a great help to others. BTW, we have a new grandson in the house now, and I'm sure, knowing the mental attitude of the mother, 22 and single, that we will end up raising the wee boy.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyd View Post
    I realise it could be personal in places, but it would be great if you could post the 'less personal' aspects of the agreement I'm sure it would be a great help to others. BTW, we have a new grandson in the house now, and I'm sure, knowing the mental attitude of the mother, 22 and single, that we will end up raising the wee boy.
    Well I guess I could if it could help you and others. With us having worked under it for two weeks, we're going to go over it again sometime in the weekend and fine tune a couple of bits. I'll post it up after that.

Bike
    gsx250
    With the blog it's a good idea to be cautious about keeping who you are fairly hard to gauge.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jafagsx250 View Post
    With the blog it's a good idea to be cautious about keeping who you are fairly hard to gauge.
    Still pondering on that one. Made some mental notes though in case I go there. Oh, two weeks in and it has been great.

Bike
    gsx250
    Still pondering on that one. Made some mental notes though in case I go there. Oh, two weeks in and it has been great.
    I was just saying for her sake.

Good on you though. Always nice to hear it's going well.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by avgas View Post
    ... my oldest is now 7 and all I can think is geez I gotta remember what works on the oldest so I can use it on the youngest when they get there...
    Huh. Raised three of the buggers then the last one comes along and he's nothing like the others. Has "the autism" this one, and nothing that worked for the other three worked for this one. We struggled for a while, and he used to do my head in, and one day the occupational therapist at Hutt Hospital tells me the reason that he does my head in is because he's exactly like me. So yeah, as a result I found out a lot about me too, and things have never been better in that respect.

So yeah, don't except the same thing works on all of them. Which is a real hassle when you have four of the buggers...
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Thread Information