Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1959 AJS 650 oil problem

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by rudolph View Post
    AJS did say they don't fix the mechanical/ engineering problems with the bikes as the owner likes to tinker, there are a lot of AJS books about where to drill holes in the engine to fix problems.
    Now I understand what they mean by "the good old days"....

I would have burned the fucking thing with fire by now. Kudos for your patience and putting up with that bullshit.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post

I would have burned the fucking thing with fire by now. Kudos for your patience and putting up with that bullshit.
    Ah....old British Bikes are not for you then.

The Norton Commando has a long list of faults keeping the aftermarket parts world going.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Ah....old British Bikes are not for you then.

The Norton Commando has a long list of faults keeping the aftermarket parts world going.
    I love the look of them - TR6 Triumphs and Norton Commando etc but I grew up on jap bikes. They always went and didnt leak oil unless I had tried to fix them i.e. fuck about with things I didnt understand....
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    motocompo
    The British were sure the CB750 concept wouldn't catch on.
    They were convinced that motorcyclists actually enjoyed being parked up beside the motorway in the pouring rain "tinkering" and we're doing it by choice.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    The British were sure the CB750 concept wouldn't catch on.
    They were convinced that motorcyclists actually enjoyed being parked up beside the motorway in the pouring rain "tinkering" and we're doing it by choice.
    Photos of Team Cox with the mighty Suzuki on Facebook are good, how is the Classic TT going?

There is a good report written by Edward Turner in the very early 60's when he visited Japan to look at their motorcycle industry.

It was fairly obvious then what was going to happen but they did not really factor in the Japanese making bikes larger than 350.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    motocompo
    :
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Photos of Team Cox with the mighty Suzuki on Facebook are good, how is the Classic TT going?
    All done & dusted.
    I didn't put up a thread because it's not my own gig.
    Here's a bit more info. The bike was brilliantly prepared apparently & not disappointing for me at all
    And the pit stop was incredible.
    https://www.teamclassicsuzuki.media/...rement-101008/

Bike
    Niftyfifty
    Now I have to fix my 1949 BSA B31, it has the triumph piston mod and compression is too high and valves a a bit recessed into the head, my Harley needs a top end rebuild and new fork seals,

There is a long list of other bikes I need to fix and more turned up yesterday

Bike
    Exercycle
    On current petrol, about 8.5:1 is all an iron single will accept long term. Valves only a little recessed ? Wow.

Did filling the Ajay full of holes work ?

Bike
    Niftyfifty
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    On current petrol, about 8.5:1 is all an iron single will accept long term. Valves only a little recessed ? Wow.

Did filling the Ajay full of holes work ?

Someone has recessed the valves to stop them hitting the piston, it should of had a spacer under the cylinder, this would fix the compression problem to.

Drilling the hole in the AJS worked very well, it stopped smoking and the plugs are not fouling, there was so much oil going thrugh that the plugs wouldnt turn black because they got washed clean,

Bike
    Niftyfifty
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post

I was very close to setting it on fire, I hated going in the shed and seeing it when it had the problem.

Thread Information