Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear End Turn Off

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries

Rear End Turn Off

Nothing to do with seeing a HD rider in arse-less leather chaps.

This is interesting.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bik...-deactivation/

My bosses BMW shuts the engine off at traffic lights to save fuel - restarts when you push the pedal. I'm not a fan.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    [Some?] Hybrids turn off the infernalcombushchun at the lights. And restart as/after the leccy motor has already laid rubber on the road. Wot's the problem?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    [Some?] Hybrids turn off the infernalcombushchun at the lights. And restart as/after the leccy motor has already laid rubber on the road. Wot's the problem?
    Different set up to her BMW which is all petrol. I keep thinking shes stalled it. Reckon it would be F-all fuel saving in little on Christchurch traffic lights.

Mind you they also want thousands of dollars for a special BMW tow-bar so it won't disturb the farkframerail or something. Thus it has no tow bar.

But it does have $500 a piece run flat tyres ........

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    So the Indian shuts down a cylinder to stop cooking the rider at the lights, not to save fuel.

And the BMW stops to .... errr .... depreciate?

Hmmm. OK.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Nothing to do with seeing a HD rider in arse-less leather chaps.

This is interesting.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bik...-deactivation/

My bosses BMW shuts the engine off at traffic lights to save fuel - restarts when you push the pedal. I'm not a fan.
    My 2012 Subaru XV does the same thing but there is a switch to disable it. I dont like that you get a momentary hesitation when taking off from the lights as the engine starts. i just reflexively push the switch when I start the vehicle now.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    My 2012 Subaru XV does the same thing but there is a switch to disable it. I dont like that you get a momentary hesitation when taking off from the lights as the engine starts. i just reflexively push the switch when I start the vehicle now.
    I keep thinking they must have very good starters or they will only last half the life of a standard vehicle.

The Indian is a good idea for the reason - be odd sitting on your V twin then it changes to a big thumper idle.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I keep thinking they must have very good starters or they will only last half the life of a standard vehicle.

The Indian is a good idea for the reason - be odd sitting on your V twin then it changes to a big thumper idle.
    Its like my bentley - the ashtrays are full so its time to trade it in.

I got a lift home in my workmate's Nissan Leaf tonight. I am definitely buying an EV of some sort.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    ... My bosses BMW shuts the engine off at traffic lights to save fuel - restarts when you push the pedal. I'm not a fan.
    You might like this...

The Skoda rental we had in Australia last year did it, not a fan of it in traffic when you want the car to get away into the traffic and it sits there and thinks about it... turned it off when in traffic...

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    My ford ute does it too, has been a mission trying to remember to turn the little switch off every time I start it. Fucken hate it and ford will not program it out for me even when they can!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    It saves fucken heaps of fuel if every car does it.

Bike
    Sold
    I recently had to deliver a Porsche Carrera 4S to Auckland and it had that feature. Turned itself off at the Mt Wellington off-ramp lights and nearly gave me a heart attack. Actually, the whole delivery was a complete farce, including working out how to start the bastard in the first place. You might get a giggle from this account: http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2018/...d-porsche.html .

Bike
    1994 VFR750F, 2006 XR250L
    When were starter motors and ring gear ever made to last such constant use? It will be the next early failing of the cars I am sure.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    When were starter motors and ring gear ever made to last such constant use? It will be the next early failing of the cars I am sure.
    Well, since everything is fuel injected now, the work that starters do is substantially lessened. Couple with that the closer tolerances everything is built to and reliability shouldn't be a problem

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    It saves fucken heaps of fuel if every car does it.
    I do wonder though about things like the Chrysler 300 which shuts down cylinders as required. As a V8 the parasitic drag must be significant.
    I'd like to see the injection maps for the working cylinders to see if it goes richer or just winds up the throttle setting...

The bike I can remember less than fondly which could have used the rear bank shutting down was the RC30. Sitting at lights you got your nads cooked.

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Honda have a 'Click' scooter available here in the Philippines with the engine stop system. Available in both 125 & 155cc. They also have a

de-activation switch. Apparently they don't use the converntional starter; rather they have a system like the old 'Dynastart' that came out in

the 50's-60's on the DKW Hobby scooters.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Thread Information