Thread: Riding around Wanaka

Bike
    TE300

Riding around Wanaka

So im heading to Wanaka for Xmas this year for 2 weeks... Since Ill be driving from Auckland I wanna take the trusty steed for some off road trail action.
    Who can tell me if there are places to ride down there. Not stressed about driving a bit.
    im not really into MX tracks... prefer to get out and explore/trails/singletrack/technical and tricky.
    I ride a TE300 TPI - Weekend warrior trial racer :-P

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Due to the fact that the area is very much a tourist area ... any area easily accessed for the purpose you intend ... is (if the general public is actually allowed there) you will find the area over-run by the pedal powered two wheeled variety. Some public routes are good with some side trails available but Wof/Rego is required and often policed at entry/exit. The Arrowtown/Macetown track is a good example ... sometimes policed. More often in summer. The Bannockburn/Garston is a gravel road suitable for most vehicles mid summer ... unless it has rained. Also with side trails to be found.

Thanks to the selfish motorized two wheeled vehicle owners in/of the past ... many suitable areas have been locked off and land owners get quite shitty with trespassers. Caution ... many such landowners are armed (for pest control) and do enjoy Police support.

You may get in touch with Davidson Honda in Alexandra, and ask if they know of a suitable area. There is also an outfit called Off Road Adventures Queenstown ... (funnily enough) in Queenstown. They run guided trips into nice areas ... and do sometimes allow visitors to bring their own bikes.

There are other motorcycle hire/tours around Central Otago which you could contact for advice. Find a few motorcycle clubs in the area and ask their advice. Troll through the Off-road forums on KB and read about a few of the rides in the area.

There is however ... a trail from the Fraser dam near Alexandra, up onto the Old Man Range. This trail can take you all the way to Waikaia without any sign of tar-seal. Also without and sign of a petrol station. There is a shortcut to Roxburgh ... but this would require a bit of tar-seal to get to. There is/was a lodge in the Roxburgh Hydro village where I have stayed in the past. The trail across the Old Man Range is quite high up and very exposed to weather. If you crash / breakdown ... it's a very (very) long walk (if you still can) for assistance. It is not recommended that you travel alone. Two or more vehicles is a very good idea. Even groups of 4WD vehicles get stuck in SUMMER snow-storms. In some places there is cell coverage though.

Some Sheep stations allow access ... but they need to be contacted directly for permission. Most will not due to ACC requirements.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Mate Wanaka is packed to F over Christmas/New Year. Watch ya arse on those roads. Christchurch to Arrowtown two days before New Year last Christmas I was impressed when I got the car up to 90kms per ............

Bike
    DKW
    Join the 'adventure riding nz' facebook group, heaps of info by actual adventure riders, its where the adventure riders went after they couldnt be bothered with the piffle on this site.

Thread Information