Thread: UK-bound move... biking over there?

Bike
    Nothing yet

UK-bound move... biking over there?

Hi! I've got a couple questions I'm hoping someone here could answer. Firstly, I'm on an 6R bike license currently, I assume this isn't going to be usable in the UK and I'll have to do their CBT/practical test things? I'm perfectly ok with doing tests again, at the end of the day it's always a good refresher, just would rather know if I have to do it or not. My next question is how taxes work over there. I'm gonna try get myself a weekend/evening thing to make some money to pay for stuff like bike, possible new license and just stuff. I was wondering what taxes I'd be paying over there. Had a poke around this UK income tax calculator. Where am I likely to be on this scale? An interesting first post but hopefully a helpful one to me and maybe someone else?

Thanks!

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    I did the move the other way around and I can say that I didn't have to resit my licence. I undertook a small eye test when I got my licence but that was it.

It'll be worth investigating the licensing thing as the cost and time inconvenience of taking your bike test in the UK can be considerable. This of course depends on where in the UK you are going to be settling as some areas have better access to test centres than others. Post the move to EU testing standards a few years back the number of bike test centres reduced quite considerably (A long story) which means that you'll need to check where your local bike test centre is located. in other words don't assume that any test centre can do bikes.

As for the income tax regulations. Your level of income will dictate what levels of tax you'll pay. Plus the regulations may well have changed since I've been in NZ as I came here just over 3 years ago. The GOVT UK website will be your friend in this area.

Whereabouts are you going to?

Bike
    CB1300

Thread Information