Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LAMS bike with slip on aftermarket exhaust ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    and what if that shorty clutch or brake lever results in a bit more difficulty in a learner having full control over their bike? like a non adjustable one as opposed to one that can be set up for the users hand span?
    It's (usually) standard practice to fit such (adjustable) levers to your bike ... to make it easier to use (if they're not fitted as standard) ... not the other way round ...
    And it would be a vindictive plod that would argue their legality ...

But ... If you decide to fit parts to your bike ... which makes it more difficult to use ... that does not mean it's illegal.
    It just means you're an idiot ...

Do you have a point other than that ... ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    It's (usually) standard practice to fit such (adjustable) levers to your bike ... to make it easier to use (if they're not fitted as standard) ... not the other way round ...
    And it would be a vindictive plod that would argue their legality ...

But ... If you decide to fit parts to your bike ... which makes it more difficult to use ... that does not mean it's illegal.
    It just means you're an idiot ...

Do you have a point other than that ... ???
    often learner riders are idiots, why not make a submission to whoever writes the rules and see how far you get?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    often learner riders are idiots, why not make a submission to whoever writes the rules and see how far you get?
    Why don't YOU make a submission directly to the idiots ... and there is No law (that I'm aware of) against being an idiot ...

STILL ... waiting for your point ...

Bike
    suzuki
    and if an insurance company finds that an accident was caused by someone who couldn't operate the brake or clutch in time to stop it what then? remember too, learners often don't know the dynamics of good gloves, got a mate that gave them some oversize cast offs, nor does any bike shop i know take the time to set up the controls to the rider, think harder and you'll see what i mean.
    my first gloves were sheepskin lined mittens, i had no idea at the time and no-one to help me.
    lams has to have a line drawn in the sand somewhere, like all rules.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    and if an insurance company finds that an accident was caused by someone who couldn't operate the brake or clutch in time to stop it what then? remember too, learners often don't know the dynamics of good gloves, got a mate that gave them some oversize cast offs, nor does any bike shop i know take the time to set up the controls to the rider, think harder and you'll see what i mean.
    my first gloves were sheepskin lined mittens, i had no idea at the time and no-one to help me.
    lams has to have a line drawn in the sand somewhere, like all rules.
    If the learner fitted it ... his problem. As I said ... no law against stupidity. And you asked this question earlier ... do you like repeating yourself ... ??

Asking the same question twice and expecting a different answer each time is stupid ... would you not agree ... ??

Hurry up with your point please ... if you have one ...

Bike
    suzuki
    you really don't get it, most of the world is price driven, if there's a seven dollar brake lever on trademe a kids going to buy it as it's the cheapest and they don't know what adjustable ones do, they also won't know how to set it up either, replacing a clutch or brake lever may alter the charateristics of the bike, making it better or worserer.
    as for pipes, most are ok but some cause erratic performance especially if the bike isn't tuned for it, while there may be more power there may be other issues,
    do you actually own or have ever owned or worked on a motorcycle as you seem pretty thick?

Bike
    Kawasaki Ninja 300 2015
    why are you homies arguing, chill we are all friends here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by liam_san123 View Post

it's a discussion and FJRider has forgotten his meds again

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    I support the sentiment but unfortunately it's KB - you'll get flare ups every now and again

The bike's going to be great to learn on. Come resale time, you'll get decent coin for it in stock condition (which it sounds like you've done).

Modding a LAMs? Mmm... yeah I get that people want results right here right now, but even without the insurance / legal situation, mods now cost you your open license bike options later, dollars count!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    you really don't get it, most of the world is price driven, if there's a seven dollar brake lever on trademe a kids going to buy it as it's the cheapest and they don't know what adjustable ones do, they also won't know how to set it up either, replacing a clutch or brake lever may alter the charateristics of the bike, making it better or worserer.
    as for pipes, most are ok but some cause erratic performance especially if the bike isn't tuned for it, while there may be more power there may be other issues,
    do you actually own or have ever owned or worked on a motorcycle as you seem pretty thick?
    NO ... YOU don't get "IT" ...

Changing the subject to pipes/clutch to try and prove a point (and failed)

Idiots happen and the law doesn't (wont) excuse them for the end result because of it.

I've seen plenty of "Idiot" mods/fixes to a bike in the interest of "Saving money" (Might have done a few myself) ... is there a law against fitting the wrong part ... ???

Still waiting for your point ...

Bike
    suzuki

Still waiting for your point ...
    it's how the insurance companies my see it, it's also throwing other things into the discussion pot, that's all it's a quiet friday night and i'm polishing stainless dome nuts for my digger, hands can only take so much at one time so this is my diversion

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    it's how the insurance companies my see it, it's also throwing other things into the discussion pot, that's all it's a quiet friday night and i'm polishing stainless dome nuts for my digger, hands can only take so much at one time so this is my diversion
    I work one week on then one week off. Two days left of my week off ... still time to do stuff. Or not ... (presently not)

If an insurance claim is refused on a claimant at fault basis ... who would take out insurance. (Sounds like a Cassina idea .. ??)

Insurance is about a policy that you sign just prior to paying the premium. Many policies are not (necessarily) based on the letter of the law. ie: you may be exceeding the posted speed limit when you crash and still be covered. Many require WOF/Rego unless they are specifically recorded the vehicle as being in storage (and some do not).

To make a ... "How insurance Companies MAY see it" statement ... you will need to quote a specific persons/companies policy. Generalizing such thing will end badly as many policies may have variations/clauses differing from the standard policy (you get what you pay for).

Anybody taking out an insurance policy and not reading it first IS an idiot ... that's a good way to throw away money by getting a claim declined.

In most cases nowadays ... unless specifically prohibited or ANY exceptions stated (in fine print)... it will (should) be covered. But the best advice is STILL ... always read the policy before you sign at the bottom.

Have you read any of your insurance policies lately ... ??

Bike
    Kawasaki Ninja 300 2015
    I work one week on then one week off. Two days left of my week off ... still time to do stuff. Or not ... (presently not)

If an insurance claim is refused on a claimant at fault basis ... who would take out insurance. (Sounds like a Cassina idea .. ??)

Insurance is about a policy that you sign just prior to paying the premium. Many policies are not (necessarily) based on the letter of the law. ie: you may be exceeding the posted speed limit when you crash and still be covered. Many require WOF/Rego unless they are specifically recorded the vehicle as being in storage (and some do not).

To make a ... "How insurance Companies MAY see it" statement ... you will need to quote a specific persons/companies policy. Generalizing such thing will end badly as many policies may have variations/clauses differing from the standard policy (you get what you pay for).

Anybody taking out an insurance policy and not reading it first IS an idiot ... that's a good way to throw away money by getting a claim declined.

In most cases nowadays ... unless specifically prohibited or ANY exceptions stated (in fine print)... it will (should) be covered. But the best advice is STILL ... always read the policy before you sign at the bottom.

Have you read any of your insurance policies lately ... ??
    Good reply. I don’t actually have insurance with my bike but did get a few quotes from many different agencies.

I quite like kiwibike, they seem pretty solid. I’m not too familiar with insurance companies and stuff but what you are saying is that I could possibly negiotate my policy with them. e.g. I could say my bike has a slip on exhaust and they’ll up my premiums or excess but still pay out in an event of an accident

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Good reply. I don’t actually have insurance with my bike but did get a few quotes from many different agencies.

I quite like kiwibike, they seem pretty solid. I’m not too familiar with insurance companies and stuff but what you are saying is that I could possibly negiotate my policy with them. e.g. I could say my bike has a slip on exhaust and they’ll up my premiums or excess but still pay out in an event of an accident

Have a chat to a few Motorcycle shops about insurance coy's ... and the reasons they recommend them. Some good motorcyclist specific outfits out there.

Ask the questions to the ones writing the policy ... what have you got to lose ... ??? (except lots of money if you get it wrong)

What may appear to be (potentially) a big deal to some ... really isn't. ie: Will a slip on exhaust cause you to have an accident .. ??? Is there any other way it could cause physical harm to you or the bike ... ???

At worst it's a condition of license clause that ... unless you've been riding like a dick ... and giving the plod that stopped you grief ... plod will be unlikely to mention it. (IF he/she is actually aware of the exhaust issue connotations in the LAM's legislation or actually cares ... (see the riding like a dick bit).

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    so I ride a lams approved bike on my full, it is insured,
    but after reading this thread, it appears that my insurance would be void, because of the mods I have made,
    ie exhaust, foot pegs, air cleaner, ignition mod...
    Thats sounds a bit crazy to me.
    If I did the same mods to a non lams bike,
    this would not be a problem?
    Have I got all this information from this thread right?
    I must be missing something.
    A Lams bike MUST stay in factory condition always regardless of the riders license?
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Thread Information