Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taupo to Napier - alternative route past Lake Waikaremoana?

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2

Taupo to Napier - alternative route past Lake Waikaremoana?

Hi All

Am doing the first touring ride of the season on Labour Weekend, the planned route is Wellies - Ohakune - Napier - Wellies again.

My mate proposed trying the road a bit north of the usual Taupo-Napier highway, the one that's the direct line Rotorua to Wairoa. Thing is, the maps show a massive length of gravel in the middle of it and we're on 900cc sportbikes...

Anyone ridden this recently? What's the road like?

Bike
    suzuki
    i did it in new years 2000 on an RF900, yip a long time ago but i don't know much has changed, loved every bit of it but you've got a long way to go so if it doesn't suit you need to have a back out plan. the biggest issue is oncoming traffic as it's tough to react to them, and allow for stopping real quick on that style of road, cause often the cars coming won't be that smart. can you run through google maps and actually see the road on your computer?

Bike
    suzuki

Bike
    Sold
    Gentle Annie as an alternative route from just north of Taihape to Napier? Generally light on traffic and a great ride for bikes.

Bike
    DKW
    Yep, still heaps of gravel.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Gentle Annie as an alternative route from just north of Taihape to Napier? Generally light on traffic and a great ride for bikes.
    ^THIS!

The Gentle Annie is fun as fuck!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    ... the biggest issue is oncoming traffic as it's tough to react to them, and allow for stopping real quick on that style of road, cause often the cars coming won't be that smart. can you run through google maps and actually see the road on your computer?
    It's a popular route for camper vans now too. Their occupants more interested in the views than watching where they are going.

And no white painted white lines to keep them on their half of the road. On (narrow) gravel roads you find them usually dead center.

If you don't like gravel roads ... stay off it. But ... It won't be too bad if the grader hasn't been through for a while ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Thanks all - OK will have to talk this over with my mate.

Bike
    DKW
    Gravel half way from Murapara to Ruatahuna. Then from Ruatahuna to Tuai complete. Your biggest problem is the local retards who dont want you or anyone else there.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Went through there a year ago in a car. Nearly got taken out by a kid in a ute coming the other way. He was doing a beautiful drift and showing great control but if I wasn't quick enough to drive through the ditch and up onto the verge...

Oh and watch out for pigs and horses. Not all of them are wild, most of them are just grazing the long acre
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I'd use this option myself.

Your intended route via Lake W is interesting, best I leave it at that

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Gentle Annie. Epic ride. Make sure you start with a full tank and take a snack with you.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    I did the Lake W road earlier this year and found the locals fine, I would suggest you leave your prejudices as home-The road had not long been graded so was a bit scarey in places-I found there would be a stretch of gravel followed by a stretch of seal then back to gravel again before more seal.It really is a special ride as far as scenery is concerned.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Thanks again guys - I had the chance to catch up with my mate earlier in the week. The conversation got as far as
    "I've had some replies on KB and there's 100 km of gravel"
    "Oh fuck that"
    so it's looking like it's the Gentle Annie or the roads through Turangi and then the Taupo-Napier. Guess we'll see what we want to do on the ride...

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    We are looking at the Gentle Annie at Christmas on the Busa. I thought it was all sealed now?

Thread Information