Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What leather jacket?

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to HenryDorsetCase again.

Spot on!

One of the guys in my building is looking to get into riding. Picking up the finest KTM 390 Duke that India can muster and then sending me links to full carbon helmets and the afforementioned 1pc kangaroo leather suits with all the right letters and logos on them.

I mean, if it's what you want to buy, go for it, but it definitely isn't necessary to spend super huge mega dollars on gear. I still think that it's important to pay a reasonable amount though, skimping on gear can be a stupid thing to do because some of it is pretty pointless Chinesium rubbish, but there's no denying that good riding, situational and spatial awareness and other things that Cassina didn't believe exist all count towards being a safer rider.

If I'm on my scooter and just hanging about the suburbs or my small city, it is helmet, gloves, jacket, but often just regular jeans and shoes. Anything else, or anywhere else, I'm an ATGATT person. Not necessary full leathers and knee sliders, but still proper bike boots, at least Kevlar jeans, leather jacket, proper gloves, SOMETIMES a back protector, depending on how much of a twat I intend on being.
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    Dr350
    Slightly off the main topic but related to the last few comments, is there any opinions on the kevlar lined jeans such as dragon jeans? I wear proper armoured pants for big rides but for around town or gravel roads in summer I have worn them. No armour but I always thought gravel rash may be avoided.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Addo007 View Post
    Slightly off the main topic but related to the last few comments, is there any opinions on the kevlar lined jeans such as dragon jeans? I wear proper armoured pants for big rides but for around town or gravel roads in summer I have worn them. No armour but I always thought gravel rash may be avoided.
    Thats the only point of them, and in fairness thats all the manufacturers claim as well. I ahve a pair of draggin jeans which I quite like in terms of comfort which I wear quite often. The issue is of course impact. I just dont see paying the huge money for the hipster versions.

I am currently dieting and working out so I can fit in my very expensive leather armoured pants. I dont dare try on my leathers....
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Draggin Jeans own Disclaimer ...

DISCLAIMER
    No body Armour or Draggin Jeans can protect the rider from all foreseeable impacts or abrasions. Draggin Jeans Pty Ltd shall not be liable for injury, loss or damage resulting directly or indirectly, from their use. DFFUSE Armour and Back Protectors are designed only to be worn under suitable Motorcycle-ware.

The Draggin Jeans "Drag test" was performed by professional stuntmen under controlled conditions and it should not be attempted at home. Draggin Jeans will not be liable for any damages or injury should any person suffer any loss or damage or sustain any injury by performing the Draggin Jeans "Drag Test".

Drayko is Draggins USA brand. Any goods that are shipped to the USA, Central and South America will be branded Drayko. Draggin Jeans does not sell any goods/products with the Word Mark (Draggin Jeans) into the USA, Central and South America.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    I've got a pair of the Resurgence jeans, with knee inserts and hip padding (not sure if this counts as armour?). Pekev lined. They're my go-to for stuff around town / local riding. I generally prefer a two-piece set of Triumph leathers for my back country riding but when it's hot enough I will go to the jeans since they breathe.

HDC probably said it best - they'll stop gravel rash, anything on top of that is a bonus, but they're a lot better than standard jeans for safety and stuff walking around town in full leathers.

Bike
    GN125H 2015
    I have a pair of Revit RF chinos, I find they are versatile in terms of protection and they feel just like a heavy pair of jeans- perfectly comfortable for walking around in etc... I completely agree that it doesnt matter what gear you have on- you can still be severly injured and killed in 90% of accidents and a lot of what can happen is in your hands and how you mitigate those risks e.g. awareness etc... I ended up buying my jacket from Rhino Leather in Sydney, I read the testimonials of people who have had the jackets and been in crashes with then, contacted them with questions and I think I made a good choice. Costed $332 NZD (thats including the bloody $80 shipping!!! as no one i knew was coming down from sydney for the next few months). It should arrive friday or monday, ill keep you all updated on how it is when it arrives!!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post
    One of the guys in my building is looking to get into riding. Picking up the finest KTM 390 Duke that India can muster and then sending me links to full carbon helmets and the afforementioned 1pc kangaroo leather suits with all the right letters and logos on them.

I mean, if it's what you want to buy, go for it, but it definitely isn't necessary to spend super huge mega dollars on gear. I still think that it's important to pay a reasonable amount though, skimping on gear can be a stupid thing to do because some of it is pretty pointless Chinesium rubbish, but there's no denying that good riding, situational and spatial awareness and other things that Cassina didn't believe exist all count towards being a safer rider.

If I'm on my scooter and just hanging about the suburbs or my small city, it is helmet, gloves, jacket, but often just regular jeans and shoes. Anything else, or anywhere else, I'm an ATGATT person. Not necessary full leathers and knee sliders, but still proper bike boots, at least Kevlar jeans, leather jacket, proper gloves, SOMETIMES a back protector, depending on how much of a twat I intend on being.
    There is one thing most newbies do not seem to understand is ... the value of motorcycle safety gear is seldom reflected in it's price. It's value is in how well it fits and when it is worn. How (and where) you ride just influences your risk. I've ridden many thousands of km's in my early riding days ... with just boots/jacket/helmet and gloves. None of my gear was ever top of the line stuff (usually 2nd hand) ... but it was the best I could afford at the time (and not always new).

The best value riding "Gear" is attending the best quality rider training courses (plural) you can afford ... as most of the "situations" a rider gets into is entirely the fault of the rider.

Bike
    Canadian Red Back
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    There is one thing most newbies do not seem to understand is ... the value of motorcycle safety gear is seldom reflected in it's price. It's value is in how well it fits and when it is worn. How (and where) you ride just influences your risk. I've ridden many thousands of km's in my early riding days ... with just boots/jacket/helmet and gloves. None of my gear was ever top of the line stuff (usually 2nd hand) ... but it was the best I could afford at the time (and not always new).

The best value riding "Gear" is attending the best quality rider training courses (plural) you can afford ... as most of the "situations" a rider gets into is entirely the fault of the rider.
    Yep Fj I remember a certain ride in S.E.A to K.L. the protective gear we wore then was top of line

Bike
    xt660r

really agree with the fit thing, I have a textile jacket that is fine in winter with all the liners in, but in summer with them out, I feel like it is basically useless as it becomes too loose, So I'm going to get something else this year, probably leather unless I can find a closer fitting textile jacket.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Yep Fj I remember a certain ride in S.E.A to K.L. the protective gear we wore then was top of line

Wash your mouth out ... The highest quality (Army issued) boots ... the jacket was (sort of) water proof ... and the helmet was a high quality (NEW) open face Shoei helmet.

I wont mention no gloves or visor (ok mirrored shades)... and the only amour worn was our own thick skin ...

However ... we were all aware of the risks of riding on S.E.A. (Malaysia) roads ... and rode accordingly. I can't recall any Kiwi's (motorcyclists) getting killed in Malaysia. One did get killed in '81 in Singapore (not far from Dieppe) but that was an overtaking gone wrong (at speed) and one no safety gear would have helped end better.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neil. View Post
    really agree with the fit thing, I have a textile jacket that is fine in winter with all the liners in, but in summer with them out, I feel like it is basically useless as it becomes too loose, So I'm going to get something else this year, probably leather unless I can find a closer fitting textile jacket.
    Your jacket should have adjusters ... mine does. But usually I leave the liner in and wear less underneath. But I have a Givi Top-box I carry my "Day" clothes that I might need to wear I'm when stopped.

Good Motorcycle luggage is important when riding. The safety/security of your stuff is very much peace of mind stuff. Your gear securely locked up and DRY in all weather is worth the price. To be able to climb off the bike ... stow all your gear and walk away is wonderful.

Bike
    Dont have one now
    I had a little opsie a couple of years ago, had a Revit leather jacket, it did its job. Also had some kevlar pants on, the ambos really struggled to cut em off along with my Sidi boots. Sissors just couldnt chew through them.

Bike
    GN125H 2015
    Out of curiosity how often do you wash your riding pants?? e.g. I have the Revit RF chino and I chuck it in the wash on a gentle cycle after ~15 rides (short rides 2-4km). Is this too frequent?

Bike
    xt660r
    Your jacket should have adjusters ... mine does. But usually I leave the liner in and wear less underneath. But I have a Givi Top-box I carry my "Day" clothes that I might need to wear I'm when stopped.

Good Motorcycle luggage is important when riding. The safety/security of your stuff is very much peace of mind stuff. Your gear securely locked up and DRY in all weather is worth the price. To be able to climb off the bike ... stow all your gear and walk away is wonderful.

yes the adjusters do help, but I just don't eat enough pies for it to be enough, I'm OK with buying another jacket to use in summer.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by billybob View Post
    Out of curiosity how often do you wash your riding pants?? e.g. I have the Revit RF chino and I chuck it in the wash on a gentle cycle after ~15 rides (short rides 2-4km). Is this too frequent?
    Are they your only riding pants ... ??

Thread Information